Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

More computer help please

Hubby and I are looking for a new laptop. The key words are cheap and functional. We just need it for the basics...email, internet, Office.

I've found two computers that are on sale, in our budget, and seem pretty good for the money. Both are Acers. The main difference is the processor. One has an Intel Pentium T4500 Processor and the other an AMD V Series V140.

Computer 1

Computer 2

Any opinions? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Hubby and I are looking for a new laptop. The key words are cheap and functional. We just need it for the basics...email, internet, Office.

I've found two computers that are on sale, in our budget, and seem pretty good for the money. Both are Acers. The main difference is the processor. One has an Intel Pentium T4500 Processor and the other an AMD V Series V140.

Computer 1

Computer 2

Any opinions? Thanks.
    They are both low-end computers, but will do the things you mentioned ... provided you don't try to do more than one or two of them at once. Not much to choose between the two.

Both have Win7 Home Premium. Both have low-end processors -- there is really nothing to choose between the Intel and the AMD. Both have 15.n" screens which is 'normal' in laptops nowadays. They both have 802.11n wireless which is good; likewise they both have Gigabit LAN, webcams, etc. Both have shortish battery live, <4 hours. Both have HDMI output.

The Intel machine does have an additional gigabyte of RAM and a larger hardisk, 320 vs 250 GB. These are arguably the differentiators, and I might be inclined to go with the Intel.

You might want to have hands-on look at the machines before you decide; sometimes small ergonomic factors can make a difference.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    That's State-side, though, Geoff. Prices are higher in Canada -- bigger isn't better when it comes to price.

Sticking with BestBuy.ca, their lowest priced 17" is Cdn$550 ... here. It's a better computer -- apart from the larger size & weight. It no only has the larger screen, but also a better CPU and hard disk. But if person doesn't need it, why pay more?

If/when I get a laptop, I'll be looking for small size & weight, (but not a Nebook). At BestBuy.ca I like this this Toshiba 13.3" at C$500.
    Last edited by Feanor; 12-13-2010 at 06:17 AM.

Thanks guys. We really don't want a 17" screen. My Mac is 13" and I find it a bit small. I think that 15" would be fine for us. Of course, if we found a great 17" screen for the right price, we wouldn't rule it out. One of main objectives here is price. We really don't have the money for a new computer right now, but our old one has become almost impossible to use. It's only 512GB and not worth upgrading.

I may go check out that Toshiba Feanor. It's a bit small, but looks like a good computer. Although, I would like to keep it around $500 after tax, if possible...which means a purchase price of about $450.

I'm also not adverse to buying a refurb.

You know, now that I'm thinking about it. We have the Macbook and it has Office on it. If Hubby just wants something to surf the net with, maybe we should just get an iPad. I'm going to have to ponder that thought for a bit.

Not for nothing, but we used to sell parts for Acer laptops. I wouldn’t want one unless it was the only thing I could afford. That’s one company that does NOT have it’s act together.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Not for nothing, but we used to sell parts for Acer laptops. I wouldn’t want one unless it was the only thing I could afford. That’s one company that does NOT have it’s act together.
    That's good to know. Thanks. What brands would you recommend from your perspective then?

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    That's good to know. Thanks. What brands would you recommend from your perspective then?
    We ordered ours from Dell direct. It costs more than an Acer though. You should try their site and put together something that compares to the Acer you were looking at. Then you can see what the price differences is. It will be more though.
    Price vs quality is something you'll have to decide on your own. I would put Acer in with the no-name brands as far as quality.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    We ordered ours from Dell direct. It costs more than an Acer though. You should try their site and put together something that compares to the Acer you were looking at. Then you can see what the price differences is. It will be more though.
    Price vs quality is something you'll have to decide on your own. I would put Acer in with the no-name brands as far as quality.
    Asus and Toshiba (and Apple) are pretty well rated; Acer is well down the list. See HERE for example. Based on my own experience I wouldn't touch an HP or Compaq.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Asus and Toshiba (and Apple) are pretty well rated; Acer is well down the list. See HERE for example. Based on my own experience I wouldn't touch an HP or Compaq.
    We are currently a distributor for Toshiba laptop parts. One thing I can say is that if you need parts for them, you can get almost every tiny little part that makes them up. You might get charged $20 for a small connector, but it beats having to spend hundreds for a large assembly (that includes it) that other manufacturers would make you buy to get it. I found their prices for the laptops to be out of my range though.

I just ordered this one. http://tinyurl.com/2buwxsg. It's sight unseen, but I can return it if we don't like it. After looking around for a few weeks, this seemed like a pretty good deal!

Feanor, I know that you don't like HPs, but 3 out of 4 desktops that we've owned have been HP or Compaq and we've never had a problem. Every one of them was replaced because they became obsolete not because they broke.

Thread Information