Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    Boy, whatta mindfull!

Who wants a beer??
    I'd love one.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Now, we're talkin'!

Beer up!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    We could start a weekly rumor thread about Genesis reuniting with Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett...at least it works for Progressive Ears.

I dunno...very little music talk in the RR section...if the lurkers would post, but I think newbies are afraid they'll get their post broke off in their arse or something.

Hard to talk about too much of anything new...when yer broke.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    We could start a weekly rumor thread about Genesis reuniting with Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett...at least it works for Progressive Ears.

I dunno...very little music talk in the RR section...if the lurkers would post, but I think newbies are afraid they'll get their post broke off in their arse or something.

Hard to talk about too much of anything new...when yer broke.
    Don't you mean ProgYESive Ears?

Sorry about your brokeness. I hope that changes soon.

Who broke him?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Who broke him?
    He's an economic casualty.

nightflier
    Well it seems that every few weeks a thread like this one resurfaces. If I may borrow a few ideas from previous posts and add a few new ones, here are some suggestions:

1. Get better ads - sorry but I'm tired as hell of seeing the same Axiom ad every day. Yes they make fine speakers, but where's the really cool looking stuff, you know the stuff from smaller outfits itching to get their name out there (Loiminchay, Pathos, Hansen, Densen, etc.)

2. Piggy-backing on the popularity of social-networking, why not add a few new conversation-focused categories? I'm thinking of ones that will appeal to the internet generation as well as us old fogies: What's on TV, Analog vs. Digital, The High Cost of Audio, Audio Compression, and if I can impose one of my own preferences: Greening up A/V.

3. Split up these categories:

- Digital Domain & Computer Audio
    - Home Theater Audio & Video
    - Community Welcomes and Gatherings should be subdivided into geographical areas.

4. Pluuueeeeze change the overly wordy names of some of the existing categories to generate more interest and get them higher on the sirch engine rankings:

- Portable Audio > iPods & Portable Audio
    - Community Welcomes and Gatherings > Local Events
    - Analog Room > Analog & Phono
    - Digital Domain > CD & Digital
    - The Audio Lab, Tweaks, Mods, DIY > Tweaks, Mods, & DIY

5. Create a Facebook page for this site (maybe someone here can volunteer to maintain it).

6. As long as I've been lurking here, I've never intentionally used the "Shop" and "Learn" tabs. Those are in serious need of a design/usability face-lift. They should also have better, more up-to-date content. The "Learn" section especially is just general information, doesn't really mention actual products, and has no pictures, diagrams, or other flashy stuff that would entice even newbies to check it out. I realize these sections are not what FA was specifically referring to in her OP, but more traffic there will undoubtedly drive more traffic here.

7. A collection of freely-usable avatar pics for new users to select when they sign up. This needn't be difficult to generate either, just ask the existing people here to submit a photo of their favorite piece of gear.

8. Offer a free greenie for any existing user who "brings a friend" on-board? Maybe when that friend gets 100 posts, the greenie would be awarded, to ensure this isn't abused.

9. Involve certain long-time members in the management of the site. Some of us have very specific interests, such as planar speakers, vinyl, the industry, and perhaps would not mind lurking in certain sections more regularly if they were given some kind of status symbol for doing so. Think of it as rewarding people for a long term commitment to a specific area in a/v. They could have a little symbol by their avatar and a title to go with it. For example, I'm sure someone here would be willing to keep up on concerts and then post this information in the Local Events section. If it's a popular section, maybe we could even have elections for it (using the survey-post feature) and if it's really popular section, we can impose term limits too, LOL.

10. Get manufacturers to donate gear to some of our members who do something significant such as submitting a certain number of reviews, maintaining the Facebook page, being a respected expert in a specific area (see #9 above) for a significant time, or assisting the site moderator with a large programming project, etc. If these manufacturers need an incentive, maybe they can get free ad-space for 3 months, or something that has equivalent value to them.

Anyhow, those are some of the ideas that came to mind...

Nice, nightflier. Very nice.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    To add to what night posted, you need a review section for equipment movies and music. Reviews have revived many a home theater website that was on its last breath, or at least the last two breaths.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Suspended
    Exercises in futility.

Why do you people waste your time with all your thoughtful ideas?

Because this site is managed by marketing greed, all you're going to get is a better ad server.

Here, how 'bout a little help here... http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ad.php?t=56828

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Exercises in futility.

Why do you people waste your time with all your thoughtful ideas?

Because this site is managed by marketing greed, all you're going to get is a better ad server.

You just can't stay away from us can you?

You looooooooooove us! Just admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    You just can't stay away from us can you?

You looooooooooove us! Just admit it.
    I think he looooooooves one of us.

Well, you are pretty irresistable.

Well, you are pretty irresistable.
    I told you to stop saying that. Wifey reads this thing ya know.

I told you to stop saying that. Wifey reads this thing ya know.
    Your obvious love for your wife is one of your most redeeming qualities.

does that help?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    To add to what night posted, you need a review section for equipment movies and music. Reviews have revived many a home theater website that was on its last breath, or at least the last two breaths.
    Who's this guy

Was that an echo?? I coulda sworn I heard a peep comin' outta Texas way....Must be them dern coyotes again!

(Pads back to kitchen with beers, opens door to fridge while grumbling to self.)

Your obvious love for your wife is one of your most redeeming qualities.

does that help?

Maybe if you threw in a few, "I know you would never cheat on her" comments.

Maybe if you threw in a few, "I know you would never cheat on her" comments.
    A comment like that coming from someone else means nothing. You're the only one who can convince her of that. And I'm sure that she's knows you never would.

A comment like that coming from someone else means nothing. You're the only one who can convince her of that. And I'm sure that she's knows you never would.
    That's very good. You even had me fooled for a second.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    1. Get better ads - sorry but I'm tired as hell of seeing the same Axiom ad every day. Yes they make fine speakers, but where's the really cool looking stuff, you know the stuff from smaller outfits itching to get their name out there (Loiminchay, Pathos, Hansen, Densen, etc.)

2. Piggy-backing on the popularity of social-networking, why not add a few new conversation-focused categories? I'm thinking of ones that will appeal to the internet generation as well as us old fogies: What's on TV, Analog vs. Digital, The High Cost of Audio, Audio Compression, and if I can impose one of my own preferences: Greening up A/V.

3. Split up these categories:

- Digital Domain & Computer Audio
    - Home Theater Audio & Video
    - Community Welcomes and Gatherings should be subdivided into geographical areas.

4. Pluuueeeeze change the overly wordy names of some of the existing categories to generate more interest and get them higher on the sirch engine rankings:

- Portable Audio > iPods & Portable Audio
    - Community Welcomes and Gatherings > Local Events
    - Analog Room > Analog & Phono
    - Digital Domain > CD & Digital
    - The Audio Lab, Tweaks, Mods, DIY > Tweaks, Mods, & DIY

9. Involve certain long-time members in the management of the site. Some of us have very specific interests, such as planar speakers, vinyl, the industry, and perhaps would not mind lurking in certain sections more regularly if they were given some kind of status symbol for doing so. Think of it as rewarding people for a long term commitment to a specific area in a/v. They could have a little symbol by their avatar and a title to go with it. For example, I'm sure someone here would be willing to keep up on concerts and then post this information in the Local Events section. If it's a popular section, maybe we could even have elections for it (using the survey-post feature) and if it's really popular section, we can impose term limits too, LOL.

10. Get manufacturers to donate gear to some of our members who do something significant such as submitting a certain number of reviews, maintaining the Facebook page, being a respected expert in a specific area (see #9 above) for a significant time, or assisting the site moderator with a large programming project, etc. If these manufacturers need an incentive, maybe they can get free ad-space for 3 months, or something that has equivalent value to them.

Anyhow, those are some of the ideas that came to mind...
    Agreed...Strongly....Good post, Nightflier.

nightflier
    Well let me retract my suggestion #5 above. Someone let me know that that's not going to be so welcome for some of us here who would prefer to stay somewhat anonymous:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpLNlSKugHw

Is it 1984, yet?

Well, you asked for it. You got it. Now we have adds on how to loose weight and where to buy washers & driers.

nightflier

Ahem...

Well, you asked for it. You got it. Now we have adds on how to loose weight and where to buy washers & driers.
    That's not what I asked for. I was hoping for more a/v ads, and not just from Bose and their ilk. Washers and Dryers??? Somebody need to slap some sense into that webmaster aroud here.

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    That's not what I asked for. I was hoping for more a/v ads, and not just from Bose and their ilk. Washers and Dryers??? Somebody need to slap some sense into that webmaster aroud here.
    Next time, please don't leave out those details. Next thing you know we'll be looking at tampon adds. "You can do anything and still feel as fresh as a spring morning." (Even swim in the public pool)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information