Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ForeverAutumn

Thread: Ice Storm 2013

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Ice Storm 2013

We had a huge ice storm here last weekend. Five days later there are still tens of thousands of people without power. Power crews have been working 24/7 since last Saturday with crews coming in from other provinces to help out. Our power was out for 48 hours and, at this point, we consider ourselves lucky that it was ONLY 48 hours, and that we had friends and family with power who offered their warm homes to us.

It has been very cold here so the ice has not melted. There are still branches falling on power lines causing new outages. It's all very precarious still.

But on the bright side, there is beauty to be found in such terrible weather. Once the sun came out the trees looked like they were covered in sparlking diamonds. It was really a beautiful site that could not be properly captured in photos. But I tried. Attached are a few photos that I took yesterday, after the sun finally came out.

Ice Storm 2013-img_0477.jpg

Ice Storm 2013-933912_10151745510807132_1363997540_n.jpg

Ice Storm 2013-1528602_10151745506517132_2136728549_n.jpg

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    We had an ice storm several years ago at Christmas time. I was the only family member who did not lose power. People were cooking and baking, others were showering and some just wanted to be warm for awhile. I remember that struggle so I am glad to read your power is restored.

Ever since those times I have kept food items that if need be could eaten without cooking. Luckily I never minded cold baked beans and a little spam or Vienna sausages. Of course not for vegetarians but I also keep bread and peanut butter. Canned fruit is also good to have on hand.

Even when I had power most of the banks were without so no ATM's for cash and they did not open. You had to drive for miles to be able to buy gas. Threats of bad weather has me topping off my gas tank and withdrawing cash. One of the few stores to open was keeping a paper ledger of purchases and an old fashion money box.

Just thinking about it I hope you are through the worst of it and everyone has power restored quickly. We are very dependent on our power. Keep safe and I am glad you are okay.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Glad you're back in action, FA. We here in London, just a couple of hundred clicks SE of Toronto were very lucky; we got only a glaze of ice that melted rather quickly -- thank goodness.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Glad you're back in action, FA. We here in London, just a couple of hundred clicks SE of Toronto were very lucky; we got only a glaze of ice that melted rather quickly -- thank goodness.
    That's good to hear Feanor. London is usually far worse off than us when it comes to snow. You get way more large snow storms and snow falls than we do.

John, there was lots of warning that this storm was coming so on my way home from work on Friday I filled my gas tank, went to the bank, bought two containers of sidewalk salt, and bought a loaf of bread for sandwiches. I was prepared, but that doesn't make it any easier to take. Our last house had a wood stove. Boy did I ever miss that wood stove this week when our house fell below 50F.

On Sunday morning our cars were completely coated with a half inch of ice. It took us a half hour to chip the ice and get the driver's door of both cars open so that we could start them. Then almost another hour to clear the ice off the windows…and that was with the car running and defrosters on. My wheels were frozen to the driveway! The trunk of Hubby's car was frozen shut until today.

The first thing we did once the cars were drivable was get coffee. Priorities!
    JohnMichael likes this.

Thread Information