I picked up a PS3

I said what the heck and grabbed one yesterday from target. I've read about the various problems some are having (backward compat., controller issues) and I have my fingers crossed. If I run into any issues back to the store it will go. So far everything has been fine. I rented a few games yesterday but haven't had a chance to try a BR movie yet. I will get to that in a few days.

One thing that I did not like is the second wireless controller I purchased does not come with a USB cable. What's up with that! I will not be able to try the HDMI for awhile since my TV only has a DVI input and my 2910 is connected to it. So I'll be using component for awhile.

Connected to the web wirelessly no problem and 5.1 is also fine. I will be playing some DVD movies and older games (PS2,PS1) to make sure all is working fine. I have read that some have had controller problems a few days after use so I'll have to see. I have also read that many have had no problems at all. I picked up my PS2 only a week or so after launch and never had a problem with it, so I'm hoping this is the case again.

Oh you did, did you? What happened to the xbox you wanted? Oh, nevermind. I don't keep up with any of my x-boxes either.

So how is it?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Oh you did, did you? What happened to the xbox you wanted? Oh, nevermind. I don't keep up with any of my x-boxes either.
    So how is it?
    ...funny, mine won't leave me alone.

Congrats L.J. That's a pretty solid Christmas present!
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Congrats L.J. That's a pretty solid Christmas present!
    Yeah, really.

A camera, the item I'm not alowed to mention, and now this? Merry frickin' Christmas man! You do buy you the best gifts.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Well I've been a good boy this year

Haven't had a chance to do anything yet. I gotta pickup a BR movie to test it out. Not sure if I should start buying BR like crazy just yet, but I think I won't get anymore new releases on DVD. I'm up to about 400 DVD's so I got enough to keep me happy for awhile. I can get BR for maybe about $15-20 ea so I may pick up a few. There's still the headache of double dipping since I own most titles that are on BR already.

Bobsticks, I finally picked up that Sade:Lovers Live. Nice!!!!!!

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Good to hear from you, L.J.

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Well I've been a good boy this year

Haven't had a chance to do anything yet. I gotta pickup a BR movie to test it out. Not sure if I should start buying BR like crazy just yet, but I think I won't get anymore new releases on DVD. I'm up to about 400 DVD's so I got enough to keep me happy for awhile. I can get BR for maybe about $15-20 ea so I may pick up a few. There's still the headache of double dipping since I own most titles that are on BR already.

Bobsticks, I finally picked up that Sade:Lovers Live. Nice!!!!!!
    In re: Lovers Live
    Yes it is very nice (makes Puurrrring noise)

In re: new dvd purchases
    Probably a good plan as recently 95% of them have sucked...

Cheers!
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Well it's been about a week and no problems yet

No controller issues so far and according to the PS3 website, of the 80 or so PS1 & PS2 games I own only 3 (PS1) will have a problem. If you can call it that. Basically it states that the sound will cut out 1 second too early.

I have a couple of BR discs on the way and still need to give the HDMI a try. I've been playing NBA 2K7 and PQ is amazing. Detail! Detail! You can see the sweat rolling off the players face and arms.

Hopefully I don't run into any issues and will not have to box this bad boy up.

Well it looks like my luck has run out. My PS3 seems to have a glitch. Game playback is fine but I get pauses (about 2-4 seconds long) during BR movie playback. It happened while watching Eight Below about 5 times! Other times it was once or twice. This has happened on new and rented discs. Is it so wrong to purchase a product and it just freakin' works! I still fall under Target's return policy period so I may just exchange it and hope for the best. Again!

According to the guys over at PS.com forum, this is a common problem. Has anyone heard of this issue?

I hate when things don't work the way they should.

Good luck L. I hope it turns out well soon.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I hate when things don't work the way they should.

Good luck L. I hope it turns out well soon.
    Thanks GM. Well the problem has been solved. It seems that the PS3 tries to log onto it's network or something in the background so this causes the pause. Simply disabling the internet connection ( 2 clicks on the remote) before watching the movie does the trick. I haven't had any problems since. I read that this is gonna be fixed by a firmware upgrade soon. Well back to watching more Blu-ray for me.....

Thread Information