Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I am adopting!

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

I am adopting!

Yes folks tomorrow I pick up my 3 year old neutered male Beagle from the Humane Society. His current name is Regal but I may have to drop the L. I have not had a dog in years and I think I will enjoy the company. Since he is neutered I might get to be the alpha-male.

My sister went with me to check him out and when she had him on the leash he walked right at her side. When I took the leash he started running ahead and trying to pull me. I think he senses that I am a pushover. I may need advice from dog owners on this site.

I just hope he is not pretending to like me just to get out of doggie prison. When I made the second visit with my sister all the dogs were barking except for Rega. He just stood there wagging his tail and smiling. His smile won me over.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    That's fantastic news John! Regal the Beagle definately has to go though, good job on dropping the L.

Rescuing an animal is an admirable thing to do. There are so many great animals looking for homes. I'm sure that you and Rega will get along famously and enjoy many years together. I can't wait to see pics!

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Both of our cats were rescued animals. The funny thing when we adopted the first one the cat the kids first picked we could not take home because it was being "held for evidence". As a matter of fact we were told that there was entire wall where all the animals were being "held for evidence" including 2 chickens.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Lucky dog.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    That's fantastic news John! Regal the Beagle definately has to go though, good job on dropping the L.

Rescuing an animal is an admirable thing to do. There are so many great animals looking for homes. I'm sure that you and Rega will get along famously and enjoy many years together. I can't wait to see pics!

I look forward to someone being excited to see me when I get home. I hope he likes music. I will feel safe walking him around town.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Lucky dog.

Lucky dog. Lucky owner. Thanks GM
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I couldn't imagine life without my dog. You'll have a blast and you'll both learn lots from each other, JM. Good for you for giving this guy a home!

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    I hope he doesn't pee on your pristine carpets John! Oh the fun of housebreaking...it's all worth it. Congrats!!

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    I hope he doesn't pee on your pristine carpets John! Oh the fun of housebreaking...it's all worth it. Congrats!!

Oh the carpets are not pristine since 13 months of a 25 year old human rescue. Since he is 3 years old I think it should be fairly easy. I did not feel I had the energy for a puppy. They had lots of them for adoption.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Well we have been home for an hour now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I am adopting!-001-smaller.jpg  
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Of course he had to jump on my antique quilt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I am adopting!-003-smaller.jpg  
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    LOL! Less than an hour and he's already on the furniture. Yep, I can see who's going to be ruling your roost.

He's adorable John!

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Seems like a happy little dude. Well done!

Forum Regular
    Congrats JM!

I miss having a dog and looks like Rega already is home sweet home. Will you be giving Rega middle name....like say....Apollo?

Great looking dog there John.
    I love short legged dogs, especially the Beagle.

My dog has knocked over 3 pairs of speakers, busted 4 tubes, ate over a dozen LP covers, clothings, bed sheets/covers, and tons of other stuff I have yet to discover... If I had to choose between my dog and stereo gear, I would take him in a heartbeat. That SOB has given me countless headaches, but I wouldn't trade him for all the tea in China.

Enjoy and have fun,
    JRA

Big ups to you JM!

Rescue dogs are an adventure, but you get so much in return. We lost our rescue dog just a few weeks ago after 9 years. It's time he otherwise might not have had, so we consider ourselves fortunate to have had that length of time with him.

Enjoy your time with him, I'm sure he'll be well spoil'd ... errr ... well taken care of!
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Yep, after we adopted our dog, he went right to the futon and claimed it. We initially didn't allow him on the furniture, even barricading them during the day when we went to work. Didn't work, he would worm his way through everything, and we eventually gave in. Once he was allowed on the sofa, he then progressively sprawled further and further out until he took over half of it. THAT's what you have to look forward to!
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

What a sweetheart.

I love dogs, (and other animals). We've had two dogs in recent years. My wife has proved most of the care, but when the first died about five years ago, I suffered an unanticipated and almost debilitating grief for serveral days ... "but he's only a dog".

Granted, his death of cancer was sudden. I'm appalled to realized that when my mother died last year at I felt less immediate grief than for the dog, ( is this terribly, terribly wrong?). In her case is was clear for several weeks before that her heart issues were catching up with her at age 91, though the precise date & time of her death were also unpredicted.

A mature dog sounds like a good choice in your case certainly. Puppies are a great deal more work, and though adorable, they don't stay puppies for very long.

No, you're not wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    What a sweetheart.

I love dogs, (and other animals). We've had two dogs in recent years. My wife has proved most of the care, but when the first died about five years ago, I suffered an unanticipated and almost debilitating grief for serveral days ... "but he's only a dog".

Granted, his death of cancer was sudden. I'm appalled to realized that when my mother died last year at I felt less immediate grief than for the dog, ( is this terribly, terribly wrong?). In her case is was clear for several weeks before that her heart issues were catching up with her at age 91, though the precise date & time of her death were also unpredicted.

A mature dog sounds like a good choice in your case certainly. Puppies are a great deal more work, and though adorable, they don't stay puppies for very long.
    Your mother died of progressive illnesses at age 91. I'm assuming you weren't in day to day contact with her. The dogs death was sudden and you were used to seeing him/her every single day when you walked in the door. I totally understand how latter might be more painful than the former. My dad died at 91, that naggin' little cough finally got him, but I grieved little for him because he was so full of beans right to the end. He'd seen 2 world wars, survived the Great Depression and had managed to raise three kids and was leaving with all his marbles. What was there to cry about? But back to your original question, no, you're NOT wrong... we love who we love how we love them.

Da Worfster

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Your mother died of progressive illnesses at age 91. I'm assuming you weren't in day to day contact with her. The dogs death was sudden and you were used to seeing him/her every single day when you walked in the door. I totally understand how latter might be more painful than the former. My dad died at 91, that naggin' little cough finally got him, but I grieved little for him because he was so full of beans right to the end. He'd seen 2 world wars, survived the Great Depression and had managed to raise three kids and was leaving with all his marbles. What was there to cry about? But back to your original question, no, you're NOT wrong... we love who we love how we love them.

Da Worfster
    Thanks, Worfster. It's true the my mother live in her own apartment but I did speak to her daily on the 'phone.

I won't go into details but maybe a comment or two. My mother had hundreds of friend and acquaintances and made new ones easily all her life. She was outgoing and exceedingly thoughful -- never forgot a birthday, and offered gifts, cards, 'phone calls far beyond the usual social requirement; (if she'd been in her 20s she'd have been a Facebook fanatic). However she was a stickler for proper behaviour and there only two ways to do anything: her way and the wrong way. The better you knew her, the more tedious these faults seemed, and she was not well liked by my wife or her grandchildren. Sad to say, but this shortcoming mitgated our grief quite a lot.

Charm Thai™
    Keep the L as a tribute to Three's Company!

Watch the quilt! Take it from me their little doggy toe nails can do a lot of damage especially the stitching on quilts. If he's to be allowed up, replace the quilt or cover it with an old sheet or the like.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Nice work John. Congrats on the new addition to the family and make sure to allow yourself to enjoy a little unconditional canine love...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Congrats, John! We're a dog family too. We've had Roxie since she was a pup. We adopted our newest addition, Charlie, from my brother-in-law. I even wrote a song about him.

Ballad of Charlie Bright-Sword

Charlie, the dog from Alabama,
    Went out to Californ-i-a.
    He picked avocadoes with the Mexicans.
    Met a li’l Chihuahua ‘long the way.

He got mixed up with some criminals.
    Robbed a bank and stole an SUV.
    Hopped a boat and sailed to Hawaii,
    Caught a plane and flew to Osaki.

Now he’s a Samurai in Jay-pan.
    Has a little geisha named Suki.
    He fights crime and she makes all the money.
    They wag their tails and live happily.

Screwed up in Californ-i-a
    Now he’s a Samurai in Jay-pan,
    Kickin’ tail,
    Sniffin’ tail,
    All day!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    Congrats, John! We're a dog family too. We've had Roxie since she was a pup. We adopted our newest addition, Charlie, from my brother-in-law. I even wrote a song about him.

Ballad of Charlie Bright-Sword

Went out to Californ-i-a.
    He picked avocadoes with the Mexicans.
    Met a li’l Chihuahua ‘long the way.

He got mixed up with some criminals.
    Robbed a bank and stole an SUV.
    Hopped a boat and sailed to Hawaii,
    Caught a plane and flew to Osaki.

Now he’s a Samurai in Jay-pan.
    Has a little geisha named Suki.
    He fights crime and she makes all the money.
    They wag their tails and live happily.

Screwed up in Californ-i-a
    Now he’s a Samurai in Jay-pan,
    Kickin’ tail,
    Sniffin’ tail,
    All day!

Uh.......
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information