Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Be honest. What would you do?

Reading Shokhead's post made me think of something that happened to me on Monday...

I was taking a customer out for lunch. The bill was about $49. When the waitress brought me the credit card receipt to sign, it was for only $36. My customer said, "cool, you save $13!". But I know that this $13 would end up coming out the waitress's pocket, so I called her over and showed her the mistake so that she could correct it. She was very grateful and must have thanked me a half dozen times.

So, be honest, what would you have done? Would you have taken the customer's attitudes of, "it's her mistake take advantage of it". Or would you have showed her the error so that she could fix it?

Honestly, if I caught it at the monent, yes, I'd say something, but if I noticed later at home, I woulldn't go outta my way to correct it. The other day, this liquor store I go to, some new guy rang up a couple beers for me, I paid, got home, looked at the receipt and the charge was for completely different items similarly priced, except I paid about $2.50 instead of what should have been about $5. Like I said, if I noticed at the time, I would have said something, but I'm not going to go outta my way to correct the situation.

I feel the same way paul_pci feels. If I catch a mistake like that right away I will correct it. I won't go back to the store or restaurant if I discover a mistake after I've gotten home.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

We once bought 4 steaks that were on sale. When we got home wifey noticed that we didn't get our $2.00 off on one of them. I wanted to say screw it, but she made me drive back. The guy in customer service pushed a bunch of buttons and then handed me a new reciept and a couple of bills. When I got to the parking lot I noticed that they were 5's instead of singles. Back in I went. I walked up to the guy and he said, "I bet you want to know why I gave you so much back." He had given us one package free for our trouble.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I'd do what you did. I'v been "shorted" on change a few times, and I might think, "Alright
    payback time, As you do, I TRY to do the "right thing" most of the time. Return found
    wallets, whatever. I hope that frame of mind works in MY favor when those thing happen
    to me. Luckily, thats not often.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I gave the lady at McDonald's a $10 for my coffee and muffin this morning, she gave me change for a $20...

I kept it. Didn't realize it until I got to work, but I'm not going back. Just bein' honest...

I'd probably tell the waitress she didn't charge me enough though - when my wife and I were dating early on she got stiffed a few times - her friend got her a job at a crummy pub-style restaurant - the tips were good, she'd make a few hundred bucks on a good night - pretty good coin when we were in college. The regulars were mostly biker gangs types and rednecks - hardcore rednecks - rebel flags and all.

She got stiffed pretty bad one night after the worst week she had an that job and I can still remember her crying when she got home. They work really hard for not much money -and I cease to be amazed at how cruel and angry customers can be over the smallest things (sometimes nothing at all) just because they're in some perceived position of authority when they're being served - but that's another thread.

Anyhoo, I have a soft spot for waitresses/waiters - crappy job.
    Way to go, FA

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Yep, I try to live up to my bargain and like GM's wife, I'll nicely remind others of theirs too.

Did you think less of your customer because of his/her comment? If the customer was paying would you have been comfortable in telling the customer to do the right thing?

Then there's my bank. You only get a "banking error in your favor" card in Monopoly. They'll get there's back without you bringing it to their attention. But, if they short change you, there's mounds of red tape. I have this anal habit of rounding off my deposit amount to a nice even number every week which results in getting $0.20 back with my cash. Sometimes I get the $0.20, sometimes I don't. If it's not in the little envelope, and I catch it before I leave, I'll ask for it. If I've gone outside the building or pulled away from the window, it's too late. If I went back in they'd say they have to shut everything down and count the drawer, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    Did you think less of your customer because of his/her comment? If the customer was paying would you have been comfortable in telling the customer to do the right thing?
    Yeah, I do think less of my customer because of it. I'll still do business with him, but I've lost some respect for him. If the customer was paying, I would have said something to him but if he still insisted on paying the lower amount, I would let it go. Then I would have gone back into the restaurant after we parted ways in the parking lot, and set things straight.

If I hadn't noticed the error until I got home, in this case I would have called the restaurant and tried to correct it, but only because this waitress was also very good at what she was doing and deserved a nice tip. If she had been b!tchy and done a poor job, I probably wouldn't call.

I've never waited tables myself, but my husband used to wait tables part-time when we were dating. That was on top of his full-time job. So, like kexodusc, I have a soft spot for waiters. I know the sh!t that they put up with from some people (which is why I've never done it, I can just see myself intentionally dropping soup in someone's lap) and they have my respect.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    I would have left the difference in her tip and let her decide but my wife would have told her so she could fix it.
    Look & Listen

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    If the customer was paying, I would have said something to him but if he still insisted on paying the lower amount, I would let it go. Then I would have gone back into the restaurant after we parted ways in the parking lot, and set things straight.
    I was thinking that I wouldn't hesitate in giving my opinion to a relative or friend, but I'm not sure how I would handle a business aquaintance. Losing a client, customer, etc. wouldn't be a concern of mine, but telling another adult that I don't know on a personal basis how I think they should behave could be awkward. OTOH, I wouldn't want to be complicit in what amounts to deceit. Are you up for offering an etiquette class?

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    One time I was charged $1.95 for a $19.95 entree. I pointed it out to the wait staff and they appreciated my honesty. I did have an experience where a young person was waiting on me and they made a mistake in my favor and I pointed it out. They developed an attitude because they did not think they were wrong. I paid the check as delivered and tipped based on the lower amount. I am sure later in the day that became a learning experience for them. I did have a wait person one time think I left them too much tip and checked with me before I left. I explained that when I use a coupon I tip for the value of the meal as if I did not have the benefit of the coupon. I thought it was nice that they wanted to check.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

We had a friend that wasnt on top with smarts working at a gas station. Some guys cut off a $20 corner off 4 20's and glued them on a $1 bill and got $5 bucks of gas{filled the tank up] and got 15 back.
    Look & Listen

If I caught it one the spot, I'd speak up.

Later? Maybe, maybe not, depending on the magnitude of the error.

I did have an experience similar to Jmichaels, though. I paid at a Dunkin Donuts in Bloomfield, NJ with a ten dollar bill and got change for a twenty. It was the morning rush hour and I only noticed it as I was outside walking to my car. I went back inside and said, nicely, that there was a problem with my change and.... Before I could even finish the sentence, the manager comes over and starts yelling "it's too late for that! You left the store. No adjustments!" and pointed to a sign that says "Count your change before you leave" (or something to that effect).

I just sighed and said "Well, that's too bad. You see, you gave me ten dollars too much but, since it's too late to give it back, I thank you for buying my lunch."

You should have seen the look on his face as I walked out and all the customers waiting on line got a good laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Later? Maybe, maybe not, depending on the magnitude of the error.

I did have an experience similar to Jmichaels, though. I paid at a Dunkin Donuts in Bloomfield, NJ with a ten dollar bill and got change for a twenty. It was the morning rush hour and I only noticed it as I was outside walking to my car. I went back inside and said, nicely, that there was a problem with my change and.... Before I could even finish the sentence, the manager comes over and starts yelling "it's too late for that! You left the store. No adjustments!" and pointed to a sign that says "Count your change before you leave" (or something to that effect).

I just sighed and said "Well, that's too bad. You see, you gave me ten dollars too much but, since it's too late to give it back, I thank you for buying my lunch."

You should have seen the look on his face as I walked out and all the customers waiting on line got a good laugh.
    That's beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    I was thinking that I wouldn't hesitate in giving my opinion to a relative or friend, but I'm not sure how I would handle a business aquaintance. Losing a client, customer, etc. wouldn't be a concern of mine, but telling another adult that I don't know on a personal basis how I think they should behave could be awkward. OTOH, I wouldn't want to be complicit in what amounts to deceit. Are you up for offering an etiquette class?
    Me? Etiquette? LOL! Trust me, you don't want to learn etiquette from me. No, I'm just an opinionated person who doesn't let other people get away with much. As much as I value my customers, some people just aren't worth putting up with to get their business. If a person is willing to knowingly rip off some poor waitress for $13, even after I've suggested that he give her the opportunity to correct her error, how can I trust the integrity of his business when thousands of dollars are involved?

Well, to be honest the prices here are inflated. The people dont work on comission and have a **** attitude. I would have paid 36 and leave.

-Flo
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    Well, to be honest the prices here are inflated. The people dont work on comission and have a **** attitude. I would have paid 36 and leave.

-Flo
    You've obviously never, nor known anyone who has, worked in food service as a server, have you? Obviously, honesty is not one of your virtues, assuming you have any at all.
    Last edited by markw; 06-08-2006 at 02:34 PM.

Linear Guy

when given the opportunity....

I believe in always doing the right thing when being overpaid or undercharged. You gotta live with yourself first and foremost. If you have kids, they remember stuff like that. It goes to the core of who you are. In the case of the client that might want to skate on the waitress, tell the client what is. The truth only hurts for a minute. Lunch seldom seals the deal anyway, your product or service does. I know this all sounds ritchous but thats how it is in my house. As to recognizing you were over changed or underharged a day later or something, Just keep it to yourself and do the right thing the next time the opportunity presents itself in real time.

I would have a sever ethical conflict if I were undercharged for some stereo gear though.

You've obviously never, nor known anyone who has, worked in food service as a server, have you? Obviously, honesty is not one of your virtues, assuming you have any at all.
    Actually i do. I work as a waiter partially as a part of my job as a Night Auditor in a 3 Star Hotel. But you have to learn that we are in Germany and not in America. In the USA i would have said something.

-Flo

PS: You guys wanted honesty, and you got honesty. Now life with it!

Valid point

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    Actually i do. I work as a waiter partially as a part of my job as a Night Auditor in a 3 Star Hotel. But you have to learn that we are in Germany and not in America. In the USA i would have said something.

-Flo

PS: You guys wanted honesty, and you got honesty. Now life with it!
    As long as the server is not held financially accountable for the error, then go ahead with your plan.

Over here, servers depend on tips to survive and are many times these errors come out of their pay. That is the basis for my opinion.

As long as the server is not held financially accountable for the error, then go ahead with your plan.

Over here, servers depend on tips to survive and are many times these errors come out of their pay. That is the basis for my opinion.
    Well at least others tips as most places now pool the tips and divide.
    Look & Listen

And i agree with you, in the US it is different. But not here ;-)

Yeah, it's happened to me a few times where I got the bill and didn't get charged for certain items. Most of the time, the waiter would just thank me and tell me not to worry about it. Only once did they adjust the bill to where it was supposed to be. I've never gotten a credit card slip back that did not match the bill.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    Well at least others tips as most places now pool the tips and divide.
    I guess it depends on the system used for tips. I know when my husband waited tables, he had to reconcile his checks with his cash (including credit card receipts) at the end of the night. Whatever was left over was his, less 10% for the busboys. So, a short credit card receipt would mostly come out of his tips.

Forum Regular
    Just ask yourself one of these two questions honestly:

What would I want the other person to do if I was the waiter or waitress that made the mistake?

What would I do if it were a good friend, a wife, girlfriend, mother, sister or brother that made the mistake?

EFE Speakers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information