Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Suspended Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Ozarks
    Posts
    3,959

    Got new eyeglasses

    Its been over 10 years since I had my eye exam, so went down to doctor office to get new eye glases prescription.

    I checked around for eye glasses prices, and found Wal-Mart prices cheaper than places like Lens Crafters or Sears/mall stores.

    Wal-Mart prices for eye glasses frames start at $10 to $140, and prices for lens start from $30 for basic plastic lens, $60 for polycarbonate lens (lighter and thinner than plastic), and $120 for real thin lenses called Hi-Index. And if you want anti-reflective coating on lenses, add $60 which I didnít get.

    But all lenses being plastic or fancy ones, already have anti scratch coating on them.

    Me being cheap, choose two pair of frames (one metal and one plastic) for $10 each. And for lenses, choose polycarbonate lens with metal frames, and plastic lens with plastic frame glasses.

    And it took only two days for my glasses to arrive at store for pick up. And total price for frames and lenses for two pair was only $116.

    I am really happy with my new glasses ad people at Wal-Mart vision center were so nice. As matter of fact, one lady salesperson help me pick two frames which I also liked very much. Glasses look very fancy for $10 frames.

    They also will give you 60 day satisfaction guaranteed, and one year warranty on glasses. First I got two plastic lenses for my eyeglasses, but after a week I went back and upgrade one of my lenses from plastic to Polycarbonate, and they gladly upgraded with no problem.

    Here is link for metal frames I got for $10 with polycarbonate lens ($10+$60=$70):

    Contour Mens Prescription Glasses, FM4029 Dark Bronze - Walmart.com

    Here is link for $10 plastic frame with plastic lenses ($10+$30=$40):

    Contour Mens Prescription Glasses, FM9238Z Black/Brown - Walmart.com

    I wear metal eye glasses when going fancy, and wear plastic eye glasses when going homey












     
    Last edited by Smokey; 07-07-2016 at 08:27 PM.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    6,307
    I made the mistake of going to Wal-Mart for my last pair of glasses. Took the frames in two times because the spring loaded temples would not hold the glasses in place. I had not shopped Wal-Mart for years for glasses due to the content of the frames. The metal would react to my skin and cause the frames to tarnish and create a green area where the frames contacted my skin. I now only buy plastic frames but it will not be from Wal-Mart. Please keep us posted over the long term how they work for you.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

  3. #3
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127
    Eyeglasses a depressing topic for me. In the first place because my eyes have deteriorated greatly over the last 10 or so, and secondly because have been paying a lot of money when I've need a new prescription and frames.

    My visual acuity has decline drastically, especially over last 5 years. Even more troublesome is the chronic and severe dry-eye syndrome that I've suffered, ever worsening over the whole 10 year interval. The combination means that I'm in constant discomfort from the dryness and suffer eye strain at least part of almost every day. I no longer do much reading and can use the computer for only limited intervals. When I retired, I had hoped to do more reading but this has become impossible.

    The last eyeglasses I bought cost me over C$600 though fortunately that was about 4 years ago. I get a free, provincial government-sponsored eye exam once a year since I'm a senior citizen, but I'm on my own dime for the lenses & frames. I need progressive lens. I also got type that darken or lighten depending of the lighting conditions; they are scratch and smudge resistant as will and providing 100% UV protection ... yada, yada.

  4. #4
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    Hey Feanor. I'm with you. I have a very strong prescription that limits the types of frames I can purchase. I also need progressive lenses. My last pair of glasses cost me $600 just for the lenses. Over $800 once the frame is included. I bought those directly from my optometrist. LensCrafters was $200 more for the exact same frames! My eyes are degenerating fairly quickly and I need to replace my glasses about every two years.

    I too suffer from dry eyes and it's getting worse as I get older (I turned 50 this year). A couple of years ago I looked into getting laser surgery to correct my vision, but as soon as they told me that the surgery will make my eyes dryer I abandoned the idea. As it is, I have to keep eye drops beside my bed because when I wake up after sleeping, my eyes are so dry that it's incredibly painful to open them without wetting them first. I've been told it will get worse as I get older. I'm not looking forward to that.

  5. #5
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Hey Feanor. I'm with you. I have a very strong prescription that limits the types of frames I can purchase. I also need progressive lenses. My last pair of glasses cost me $600 just for the lenses. Over $800 once the frame is included. I bought those directly from my optometrist. LensCrafters was $200 more for the exact same frames! My eyes are degenerating fairly quickly and I need to replace my glasses about every two years.

    I too suffer from dry eyes and it's getting worse as I get older (I turned 50 this year). A couple of years ago I looked into getting laser surgery to correct my vision, but as soon as they told me that the surgery will make my eyes dryer I abandoned the idea. As it is, I have to keep eye drops beside my bed because when I wake up after sleeping, my eyes are so dry that it's incredibly painful to open them without wetting them first. I've been told it will get worse as I get older. I'm not looking forward to that.
    FA, eyeglass frames are a notorious gouge unless you go to "junk" brands, (which doesn't always work out well as JohnMicael discovered). All the "designer" brands are pretty much made by one manufacturer, (so I've heard), and they gouge the optometrists and who in turn gouge the customers.

    Dry eyes is a curse and science hasn't figured out how to fix it in most cases. Over-night relief is a problem: the best I've found -- recommended by my optometrist -- is Refresh Lacri-Lube, (see HERE). It comes in a tube and is basically grease; it's no good during the day when you actually need to see but it works better for overnight than other stuff I've tried.

  6. #6
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    St. Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    10,176
    Smokey, you said you are cheap, why not just get fancy metal for all time?

    Feanor, you might experiment with Windows "Accessibility" features, I know there is magnification but not sure about text to speech. There are text to speech programs you can get, really nice for reading text on websites and articles but they are fairly costly here due to most are purchased for clients and being a nitch product. Not sure if you have a better option for such things in Canada.

    The transition lens that goes from light to dark is a valuable feature, I spring for that when my wife and kids need glasses, cha-ching

  7. #7
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    ...
    Feanor, you might experiment with Windows "Accessibility" features, I know there is magnification but not sure about text to speech. There are text to speech programs you can get, really nice for reading text on websites and articles but they are fairly costly here due to most are purchased for clients and being a nitch product. Not sure if you have a better option for such things in Canada.
    Thanks Mr P. I ought to make more use of the Windows Accessibility magnifier more often. The thing is that I can usually see the detail pretty well most of the time, especially with enlarged view that many programs provide, however my eyes tire very easily and do so even if the type is larger -- difficult to explain.

  8. #8
    Suspended Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Ozarks
    Posts
    3,959
    Feanor and FA, I was wondering if living in colder climate does aggravate dry eyes more.

    I have medium prescription (single vision), so had more options to choose between lenses. But as you noted, eye glasses can get very expensive since most insurances will not cover eye glasses (mine doesnít).

    If your prescription is strong, you have no choice but to go with fancier lenses. And add options such as anti-reflective coating, transition coating-or go with progressive lenses, then you be looking $300 to $500 price range.

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    I made the mistake of going to Wal-Mart for my last pair of glasses. Took the frames in two times because the spring loaded temples would not hold the glasses in place. I had not shopped Wal-Mart for years for glasses due to the content of the frames.
    How many years we are talking about John. Manufacture and materials do change.

    Metal frames (even the expensive ones) can be very finicky and are not as maintenance free as plastic eye glasses. Thatís why same as you, I also prefer plastic frame glasses. My last eye glass was plastic and lasted over 10 years.

    As for metals frames having reaction to your skin, this is the first time I heard it as I have looked at many complaints on the internet about Wal-Mart vision center products before going with Walmart. My metal glasses have molded plastic on the over the ear section, so hopefully will have extra protection. But will keep it in mind J

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Smokey, you said you are cheap, why not just get fancy metal for all time?
    Plastic frames are more comfortable to wear since there is no nose bridge footing. Thatís why I think black plastic frames seems to be such a fashion trend as everybody seem to be wearing them. And if wearing strong prescription, they hide the thickness of lenses better than metal frames.

  9. #9
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Feanor and FA, I was wondering if living in colder climate does aggravate dry eyes more.
    ...
    Plastic frames are more comfortable to wear since there is no nose bridge footing. Thatís why I think black plastic frames seems to be such a fashion trend as everybody seem to be wearing them. And if wearing strong prescription, they hide the thickness of lenses better than metal frames.
    Smokey, I'm not sure that colder climates are much worse. Dry eyes are aggravated by pollen, dust, and other pollutants which aren't necessarily connected with temperature ranges. However houses, offices, etc., tend to have drier air in the winter time and this can also aggravated dry eyes; humidifiers help a lot. I find winter-time dryness to affect me most overnight.

    I like your comments about plastic frames, especially about the nose bridging. Modern lenses are much thinner and lighter than they used to be, so that is less of an issue. My wife's lens used to be the proverbial Coke bottle bottoms back when we were first married, but today look pretty normal, and believe it there her prescription didn't get any lighter -- that is, until recently when she got new, artificial lens as a fix for incipient cataracts.

  10. #10
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    FA, eyeglass frames are a notorious gouge unless you go to "junk" brands, (which doesn't always work out well as JohnMicael discovered). All the "designer" brands are pretty much made by one manufacturer, (so I've heard), and they gouge the optometrists and who in turn gouge the customers.

    Dry eyes is a curse and science hasn't figured out how to fix it in most cases. Over-night relief is a problem: the best I've found -- recommended by my optometrist -- is Refresh Lacri-Lube, (see HERE). It comes in a tube and is basically grease; it's no good during the day when you actually need to see but it works better for overnight than other stuff I've tried.
    I tend to buy my frames either directly from my optometrist or from another discount place not far from my house. Both places do not mark up their frames nearly as much as the big chains do. I just bought a new pair of Maui Jim sunglasses at my Optometrist's office for 35% lower than Sunglass Hut. And you are correct about the Manufacturer. Most designer frames are made by Luxoticca, who also happen to own most of the retail chains that sell them (including Sunglass Hut, Lenscrafters, Sears Optical, and Pearl Vision, among others).

    Brands: Eyewear Brands: our glasses | Luxottica
    Retail: Retail Brands | Luxottica

    I use a similar gel (in a tube) on my eyes in the winter. I can't recall the name right now, but it was also recommended by my Optometrist. The dryness isn't quite so bad in the summer so I just used drops. I also find it very difficult to wear my contact lenses in the winter because of the dryness, so I usually wear my contacts in the summer months and glasses in the winter months.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •