Gigs past and present

Just for fun. Some of my adventures into the live sound past and presents. I try to keep the tickets from the good ones,doesn't always work though.
    What have been the best,worst,etc,etc of your gig experiences.

I used to go to much more gigs than now (invited Ankylosing Spondylitis into my life). No sympathy vote please. Just the reason I don't go that much anymore and the reason for this thread-been confined to barracks with this Bull***t condition (flared up). Usually haven't got that much time on my hands.
    Better day tomorrow.

Peace

Bernd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gigs past and present-real-deal.jpg  
    Last edited by Bernd; 01-11-2006 at 12:50 AM.
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Forum Regular

Thumbs up Oh yes, that reminds me of...

...this one:

You're walking down a road, and you find a dead skunk and a dead musician in the ditch.

What do you know?

You know that there was a small chance, however unlikley, that the skunk was on its way to a gig.

Laz

HAHAHA! Well put.

Bernd

Has nobody got any good concert stories they want to share?

Bernd

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd
    Has nobody got any good concert stories they want to share?

Bernd

I wouldn't even know where to begin!

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Hey Bernd,

I gave some thought to replying sooner, but I really couldn't come up with the most memorable shows I've seen. Probably seeing Sonic Youth live at Lallapalooza in '94 (I think) was a high-light because I was a big fan at the time. Also, Beck, Pavement & Hole were there. That was my 2nd Lallapalooza. I've also seen White Zombie, Babes in Toyland (Kat Bjelland signed my BIT tee-shirt) & Reverend Horton Heat at one show.

I saw some great bands/acts at small venues back in the 90s including Southern Culture on the Skids, Hillbilly Frankenstein, Gatemouth Brown, FrogMan Henry, Follow for Now and favorite local acts that I won't name.

I've also seen Metallica, Guns & Roses, Motley Crew, Eric Clapton, JC Mellencamp, Jimmy Buffett, Jefferson Starship, Toto, etc.

But my favorite show was Saturday night. My son's band - A Shattered Reflection - played with 3 other bands at my parents' house. My best estimate is that 150 people showed up. It was cool and of course the band members (all in their teens) felt like rock stars. They had professional sound equipment, lighting and a live video feed projected on the side of the house so the kids in the back could see. I played host, crowd control (which was easy), camera man and roadie/flunkie.

Hi Dean,

That sounds like great fun at the weekend. Wish I was there.

Just quickly-it is of course difficult to pick a best gig just wondered for any memorable stories.

My first real gig was Led Zep and I was age 12. I was not allowed out to that show, but what do you know. Out of the window ticket in hand and boy what a show. Unfortunatly I did not calculate the cost of the return trip home so had to walk. Arrived back home at 4 in the morning with my mother waiting at the top of the stairs all upset. I have no idea why.

The most fun I had was at the "US83 Festival" in California. Man I shall never forget that and it could fill many pages here. So if anyone else was there I would love to hear from you.

Also a memorable gig was in Vancouver's BC place with David Bowie,Peter Gabriel and the Tubes also in 1983. Managed to get my ugly mug on the frontpage of the Newspaper from the concert report (Frontpage). I still got the copy here.

Peace

Bernd
    Last edited by Bernd; 03-07-2006 at 01:06 AM.

I guess youth craziness is universal. I used to sneak out too, but not for concerts. I used to walk to the other side of town in the wee hours of the morning, too. But not for concerts. My craziness was hormone-driven!

I posted some pics of the weekend show in my gallery. Check'em out when you have time.

Just checked them out. Wow-what a memory for you and the youngsters. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Peace

Bernd

Here is a picture of my US83 program.
    The running order was:

Sat, May 28th

Starting at 11.20 am

Divinyls
    INXS
    Wall of Voodoo
    Oingo Boingo
    The Beat
    Flock of Seagulls
    Stray Cats
    Men at Work
    The Clash

Sun, May 29th

Starting at 12.10

Quiet Riot
    Motley Crue
    Ozzy Osbourne
    Judas Priest
    Triumph
    Scorpions
    Van Halen

Mon, May 30th

Starting at 9.15 am

Little Steven & the Disciples of Soul
    Berlin
    Quarterflash
    U2
    Missing Persons
    Pretenders
    Joe Walsh
    Stevie Nicks
    David Bowie

An awsome experience and great fun.

Peace

Bernd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gigs past and present-us83.jpg  

Wow, that was in California? I guess they still had huge festivals in the US back in '83. Haven't the huge festivals become extinct in the US? Do they still have the big music fests in Europe?

I think the biggest shows I've been to were 2 Lallapoolzas, but they only lasted one day and you had to catch some of the lesser known acts on a second stage. I remember walking past Beck and stopping to speak with Steve Shelly (Sonic Youth drummer) on my way to the second stage to see Pavement in 94 in Atlanta.

Yeah, that was in California. They had to move a small hill to create the space to hold it for the 250.000 people that attended on each day. I camped there with some 100.000 others and met some great people and am still in touch with a couple.
    On day one and three I was at the front in the middle. Time magazine did a report on this festival and I could spot myself on one of the photos.
    A young U2 and a David Bowie with his "Serious Moonlight Tour" and The Clash at the very end of their career were well worth the effort.

One quick story is that on day three a guy died in one off the Portaloos. Stoned out off his head no doubt and the fumes from the overflowing facility and the hot California sun did him in.

I am not sure about festivals in the US, but over her we have some festivals every summer. Nothing like the scale of US83 of course. But on a nice weekend the Glastonbury Festival is always great.

Peace

Bernd

Thread Information