Thread: Gas prices?

Forum Regular

Gas prices?

Here in Chicago (Cook County) we are up to more than $2 for a gallon of unleaded. I understand because of all those boutique gases that come out in the summer, why we have an increase in prices. I also understand that gas prices started to rise in the summers under the Clinton administration. What I do not understand is why the Federal government, the last three summers, has done nothing about it. The increases have been quite high, especially here in the mid-west, over those three summers. Since this year is an election year, I wonder if anything will be done about it?

I believe this can and will be a BIG issue in the upcoming election. I am intrested to see how Bush reacts.
    Remember, different isn't always better, but it is different.
    Keep things as simple as possible, but not too simple.
    Let your ears decide for you!

Quote Originally Posted by bturk667
    Here in Chicago (Cook County) we are up to more than $2 for a gallon of unleaded. I understand because of all those boutique gases that come out in the summer, why we have an increase in prices. I also understand that gas prices started to rise in the summers under the Clinton administration. What I do not understand is why the Federal government, the last three summers, has done nothing about it. The increases have been quite high, especially here in the mid-west, over those three summers. Since this year is an election year, I wonder if anything will be done about it?

I believe this can and will be a BIG issue in the upcoming election. I am intrested to see how Bush reacts.

I'm in LA; been there, done that.

Hey Paul...

Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    I'm in LA; been there, done that.
    Hows the risk of "Brown Out" this year? Has Arny got a plan yet?(other than the generator at the capital )
    Karl K.

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line... in the opposite direction.

Well Bruno...

What exactly would you have the Gov. do?
    Karl K.

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line... in the opposite direction.

Forum Regular
    Make one form of gas, with additives, that can be used throughout the entire country in the summer as opposed to those boutique gases. Because of all the different refining processes required to make them; this is one major factor why gas is as expensive as it is in the summer. This, however, would hit the oil companies in the pocket - book. The make large profits off boutique gases.

Also, I would like to see the White House put pressure on, say, Saudi Arabia to lower costs of crude oil. We also need more refineries. I believe we have not built a new oil refinery in fifteen years or so.

Now these are just off the top of my head, but I do believe if we did all these things they would make a big difference. So what do you think?

Ya have some good ideas although...

Make one form of gas, with additives, that can be used throughout the entire country in the summer as opposed to those boutique gases. Because of all the different refining processes required to make them; this is one major factor why gas is as expensive as it is in the summer. This, however, would hit the oil companies in the pocket - book. The make large profits off boutique gases.

Also, I would like to see the White House put pressure on, say, Saudi Arabia to lower costs of crude oil. We also need more refineries. I believe we have not built a new oil refinery in fifteen years or so.

Now these are just off the top of my head, but I do believe if we did all these things they would make a big difference. So what do you think?
    I have never liked the idea of pleeding with SA to lower prices/increase production. I find it interesting you didn't consider making it more economical to increase production ourselves. I'm not talking about the national reserve either. We have the oil, in the ground... we just don't produce/sell it as much as we could because it's not profitable to do so. Maybe the Gov can give subsidies or RD money to the oil companies and still bring down the price a little. There's got to be a way to increase production ourselves and still make money at it.
    Karl K.

Forum Regular
    If I am not mistaken we only get @ 10% of our crude oil from the Middle East. They do, however effct the prices that we pay for crude oil.

I did think about us increasing our crude oil output. I am just not sure how capable of this we are. Also, if we were to do this then we would definetly have to make new refineries. This would seem to be a lot to ask out of our profit hungry oil comanies. I just not sure how willing they would be in making such changes. The ball is in their court. Let us face it, do you think Bush would push them to do this? I would not hold my breath!

I thought it was more...

If I am not mistaken we only get @ 10% of our crude oil from the Middle East. They do, however effct the prices that we pay for crude oil.

I did think about us increasing our crude oil output. I am just not sure how capable of this we are. Also, if we were to do this then we would definetly have to make new refineries. This would seem to be a lot to ask out of our profit hungry oil comanies. I just not sure how willing they would be in making such changes. The ball is in their court. Let us face it, do you think Bush would push them to do this? I would not hold my breath!
    I know that we are running near capacity on our refineries but couldn't we use someone elses(Mexico) and still come out ahead? I don't know... there's an awful lot of wells not operating in the midwest that could be.

Just an observation.
    Karl K.

Forum Regular
    I wish I knew the answer about using another countries refineries.
    Again, I mught be off on exaclty how much oil we get from the Middle East, but I do not think I am that far off. I know we get large quantites form Venezuela. In fact I believe we get more from them then almost any other country.

Ya, it seems to me it was...

I wish I knew the answer about using another countries refineries.
    Again, I mught be off on exaclty how much oil we get from the Middle East, but I do not think I am that far off. I know we get large quantites form Venezuela. In fact I believe we get more from them then almost any other country.
    about 20% from Middle East, 30/40% South America, and most from Russia (not an OPEC member BTW)

I tend to think we are just waiting for the day the rest run out and we can make a killin'. We will no doubt be either off the oil ourselves by then or be poised to be while the rest of the world is caught napping.

Yes, I'm a conspiracy nut. Just means I can say I told you so if it happens and what was I thinkin' if it don't.
    Karl K.

Quote Originally Posted by karl k
    Hows the risk of "Brown Out" this year? Has Arny got a plan yet?(other than the generator at the capital )
    It was over 100 degrees today and it's not even May yet. I have no idea what the grand terminator has in store, but hopefully the theory that the previous energy shortage was manufactured to gouge the state is true and we can tap into all the available energy on the market. But then again what do I know.

JSE
    I did think about us increasing our crude oil output. I am just not sure how capable of this we are. Also, if we were to do this then we would definetly have to make new refineries. This would seem to be a lot to ask out of our profit hungry oil comanies. I just not sure how willing they would be in making such changes.
    What? Create more refineries? Do you think your man Kerry would ever allow this? What would the environmentalist say?

Also the "profit hungry" oil companies would love to build new facilities and increase production. Simple fact, OIL IS PROFITABLE.

JSE

Thread Information