Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Eggs with Hotdog & Spinach

I find orinary scarmble egges too boring and bland, especially for hearthy weekend breakfast. To liven it up......

1. Cut good quality [beef] hotdog into into smaller pieces and sauteed with butter and onion in a skillet on medium heat.

2. After browning hotdog/onion mixture, throw in a handfull of fresh spinch or canned (squeeze out the water) into mixture and let it brown also.

3.Then add couple of eggs (without scrarmbling it) to the skillet and add pinch of salt and pepper. As eggs start to cook, add couple of slices of american cheese and then stir the whole thing and quickly serve it on a plate to avoid over cooking the eggs.

Enjoy with a side of picante sauce

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I find orinary scarmble egges too boring and bland, especially for hearthy weekend breakfast. To liven it up......

1. Cut good quality [beef] hotdog into into smaller pieces and sauteed with butter and onion in a skillet on medium heat.

2. After browning hotdog/onion mixture, throw in a handfull of fresh spinch or canned (squeeze out the water) into mixture and let it brown also.

3.Then add couple of eggs (without scrarmbling it) to the skillet and add pinch of salt and pepper. As eggs start to cook, add couple of slices of american cheese and then stir the whole thing and quickly serve it on a plate to avoid over cooking the eggs.

Smoke, are you bored? did you every figure out how to get free internet yet? or did you find a BR player you are willing to reach into the bank and buy? this are the things we are interested in hearing about from you
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Sounds tasty, Smokey. Beef hotdog, butter, eggs, and cheese? I envy you! On account of my cholesterol problems I'd have to limit myself to such a treat about once a month.

Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone View Post
    Did you every figure out how to get free internet yet? or did you find a BR player you are willing to reach into the bank and buy? this are the things we are interested in hearing about from you
    Then bring some cement and we make us a statue

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Sounds tasty, Smokey. Beef hotdog, butter, eggs, and cheese? I envy you! On account of my cholesterol problems I'd have to limit myself to such a treat about once a month.
    This is very heavy breakfast and filling, so it is only reserved for weekend brunch as it will hold you till dinner time. And it isn't a high cholestrol meal as compare with traditional sunday breakfast of bacon/sausage, biscuits and gravy, eggs and pancake.

This is very heavy breakfast and filling, so it is only reserved for weekend brunch as it will hold you till dinner time. And it isn't a high cholestrol meal as compare with traditional sunday breakfast of bacon/sausage, biscuits and gravy, eggs and pancake.
    True, Smokey, but it's been a decades since anything like that has be a typical Sunday breakfast for me ... too bad. I used to love that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    True, Smokey, but it's been a decades since anything like that has be a typical Sunday breakfast for me ... too bad. I used to love that stuff.
    So what do you usually eat for sunday breakfast?

For healthier breakfast menu, you can try southern favorite Grits

So what do you usually eat for sunday breakfast?

For healthier breakfast menu, you can try southern favorite Grits
    Grits wouldn't be too bad -- hold the butter.

Sundays are like most days. Most often I have dry mixed whole grain cereal plus low-fat granola topped with a sliced banana, raisins, a few crushed walnuts, and skimmed (0% fat) milk. Occasionally instead I'll have oatmeal, again with sliced banana, brown sugar, and skimmed milk. With either I might have a glass of orange juice.

Sundays are like most days. Most often I have dry mixed whole grain cereal plus low-fat granola topped with a sliced banana, raisins, a few crushed walnuts, and skimmed (0% fat) milk. Occasionally instead I'll have oatmeal, again with sliced banana, brown sugar, and skimmed milk. With either I might have a glass of orange juice.
    The Joy of getting old,
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

I'm in the opposite boat as you. I used to love oatmeal & cereals. Was never much into eggs. Now with my diabetes, cereal is all but out of my diet. I don't think I would want to go with the hot dogs though. They seem to screw with my numbers on a large scale.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael View Post
    I'm in the opposite boat as you. I used to love oatmeal & cereals. Was never much into eggs. Now with my diabetes, cereal is all but out of my diet. I don't think I would want to go with the hot dogs though. They seem to screw with my numbers on a large scale.

Damn diabetes can really screw up the diet. That is why I no longer test. I love going out for breakfast and having eggs over easy and medium rare sirloin steak. Too bad I also have loaded hash browns and dry wheat toast. I do use the sugar free jelly. Of course this meal takes the place of two. I also drink wine to excess in the evening to keep my numbers down. Of course my dog and I walk 2-3 times a day for over three hours of walking. I wish I had the endurance I have now for Chicago and Paris. Walking has become a pleasure instead of a chore.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    Damn diabetes can really screw up the diet. That is why I no longer test. I love going out for breakfast and having eggs over easy and medium rare sirloin steak. Too bad I also have loaded hash browns and dry wheat toast. I do use the sugar free jelly. Of course this meal takes the place of two. I also drink wine to excess in the evening to keep my numbers down. Of course my dog and I walk 2-3 times a day for over three hours of walking. I wish I had the endurance I have now for Chicago and Paris. Walking has become a pleasure instead of a chore.
    The walking is great. How do you manage when it's cold out?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Hubby and I used to practically live on hotdogs! We both love them and ate them at least twice a week. But, I once I discovered that they were one of the foods triggering my GERD and Hubby was diagnosed with high blood pressure, we had to cut them out. Now we have them about once a month as a treat. I discovered a delicious kosher brand called Baldwin Street. Their chicken dogs are only 110 calories, about 3 grams of fat, and pretty low on sodium (relatively speaking). So we don't even feel guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael View Post
    The walking is great. How do you manage when it's cold out?

I just dress for the weather and we go walking. My dog loves the snow and becomes a wild dog when there is deep snow. We just have fun and ignore the weather.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Hubby and I used to practically live on hotdogs! We both love them and ate them at least twice a week. But, I once I discovered that they were one of the foods triggering my GERD and Hubby was diagnosed with high blood pressure, we had to cut them out. Now we have them about once a month as a treat. I discovered a delicious kosher brand called Baldwin Street. Their chicken dogs are only 110 calories, about 3 grams of fat, and pretty low on sodium (relatively speaking). So we don't even feel guilty.

I love Nathan's hot dogs. I discovered them at a food show and have not eaten another hot dog since.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I love Nathan's hot dogs. I discovered them at a food show and have not eaten another hot dog since.
    Nathan's are delicious! They serve them at the Air Canada Centre (where we go see Lacrosse and Hockey games). There's a place there called Burkie's Doghouse. They sell Nathan's dogs all dressed up. My favourite is the Bacon Dog. It's a Nathan's dog wrapped in a piece of bacon and then smothered in shredded cheddar cheese, fried onions, and honey mustard. OMG! My mouth is watering and my arteries are hardening just thinking about it.

The pizza dog is pretty good too. Tomato sauce, pepperoni, and mozzeralla. Then they put it in the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese. Mmmmmmmmmm.

Our favourite dogs used to be Hebrew Nationals. But they were imported from the US and were banned during the mad cow scare a few years ago, when beef was no longer allowed to cross the US/Canada border. Once the ban was lifted, the damage was done and they are no longer sold in Canada (that I'm aware of).

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    My wife and I are recent converts to Nathan's. My current fave is a scaled-down version of the Chicago Dog with tomato, pickle spear, celery salt, black pepper, mustard and ketchup. It replaces the chili-kraut dog that started feeling a little too heavy.

Nathan's has been the go-to hot dog in our area for decades. It's good to see that they have made it to other parts of the country/globe.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar

Did you just say Grits??? Uhh, Grits with cheese and egg, with pork or beef sausage.....help me Jesus!!! Me thinks I am going to speak in tongues.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    I am so proud of you, and I know your dog loves it as well.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

I've never seen Nathan's in a supermarket, only at venue's like sports arena's and concert halls.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I've never seen Nathan's in a supermarket, only at venue's like sports arena's and concert halls.

They are sold at two local supermarkets. Both regular and bun length.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    My current fave is a scaled-down version of the Chicago Dog with tomato, pickle spear, celery salt, black pepper, mustard and ketchup.
    Did you say tomato and ketchup? Might as well make yourself a hamburger

I only like mustard, pickle relish, onion and coleslaw on my dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible View Post
    Did you just say Grits??? Uhh, Grits with cheese and egg, with pork or beef sausage.....help me Jesus!!! Me thinks I am going to speak in tongues.
    Grits might have been considered "common folks" meal, it is making headway in high end dinner culinary world disguised as Polenta served with expensive cut of meat.

Forum Regular
    sounds tasty

Forum Regular

If you have diabetes....

You had damn well better get it under tight control.... And I mean TIGHT control.

My diabetic wife had small strokes, we don't know when, but her world colapsed in 2003. I have been taking care of her since.... which is why I retired. The company benefits have saved us about $200K to date, and her medical & drug costs have now dropped about 80% to 90% in the last 5 years.

It has been a slow slog back and she has a ways to go, so here are some highlights:

In 2006 she had bleeding in both eyes causing (temporary) blindness. This has not returned.
    In 2009 she had anterior surface cataracts in both eyes, and these develop in diabetics within 3 weeks to maybe 2 months.

She was put on 32 units of 24 hr LANTUS and 8 units of 2 hour HUMALOG in 2003. I controlled her blood sugar tighter than an IRS audit. Over the last 8 years I had been slowly reducing her insulin to keep her from going low, i.e A1C below 5.0. As of mid 2011 I was giving her 17 units of LANTUS and 6 units of HUMALOG.

Lately the Dr found metabolites from her insulin in her blood. Now I also give her Metformin 500 mg ER tablets, 1 with breakfast & one with supper. Metformin significantly slows the release of injested sugar into the bloodstream. I am now slowly increasing her LANTUS 1 unit every 2 -3 weels towards 20 units, as I also lower her HUMALOG, so far to 3 - 3.5 units.

Metformin slows the release of dietary sugars into the bloodstream and the goal here is to raise her LANTUS and discontinue her HUMALOG and have her pancreas provide the insulin to control short-term BS swings while I give her LANTUS to provide her basil insulin needs.

In 2003 / 2004 blood sugar readings of 300 or higher would send her to La-La land. Another benefit of the Metformin substantially reducing her blood sugar swings (caused by her intermittent nightime snacks) is that she has lately become more functional.

Trust me, if you do not ABSOLUTELY control your diabetes, it will control or even consume you.
    Last edited by Mash; 04-08-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by qbhibkxfgz View Post
    NfdBRlW
    You really shouldn't try to type with your mouth full.
    Last edited by JohnMichael; 04-19-2012 at 11:26 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information