Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Suspended Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Ozarks
    Posts
    3,959

    Eating Grapes at supermarket

    Wonder if I'm only one eating grapes while shoppinng at local grocery store?

    Usually take a small bunch, wash it at drinking fountain and eat one at a time while grocery shopping.

    Some poeple might call that stealing. But I'm regular customer, so I call it loyalty fee

  2. #2
    Oldest join date recoveryone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,435
    SMH
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

    Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

  3. #3
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    I love grapes! I eat grapes every single day to the tune of about 3 pounds of grapes a week. It's the only produce that I'll buy regardless of the cost (within reason). But I always pay for them first.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    6,307
    Yep stealing. I prefer my grapes fermented but I can not uncork a bottle of wine while shopping. Well I am a regular so I deserve this one glass.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

  5. #5
    Suspended Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Ozarks
    Posts
    3,959
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    I prefer my grapes fermented but I can not uncork a bottle of wine while shopping.
    Now that would be stealing

    If you remember in the old mama&papa's grocery stores or street fruit stands, they let customer sample the product (within common sense) before buying. So traditionally, it is kosher.

  6. #6
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Wonder if I'm only one eating grapes while shoppinng at local grocery store?

    Usually take a small bunch, wash it at drinking fountain and eat one at a time while grocery shopping.

    Some poeple might call that stealing. But I'm regular customer, so I call it loyalty fee
    Sorry, Smokes. That's a pretty feeble rational for malfeasance.

    I've been know to take a single grape or pistachio but I don't do it often and haven't recently. Taking a whole punch, even if small, is over the top.

  7. #7
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Now that would be stealing

    If you remember in the old mama&papa's grocery stores or street fruit stands, they let customer sample the product (within common sense) before buying. So traditionally, it is kosher.
    Smokey, you are not just sampling the product before buying. I will, on occasion, do that before paying $4.99 a pound for grapes. I take one grape though. Eating a bunch while you shop is not a sample IMO, it's stealing. Why not just munch on an apple or a banana while you're at it? It's no different.

    Most of the grocery stores that I shop at will let you sample a product, if you ask first.
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 06-25-2014 at 08:00 AM.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    6,307
    If an employee would be terminated for the same behavior I would think they do not want their customers doing it.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

  9. #9
    Suspended Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Ozarks
    Posts
    3,959
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Eating a bunch while you shop is not a sample IMO, it's stealing. Why not just munch on an apple or a banana while you're at it? It's no different.
    Criticism well taken

  10. #10
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    Sorry that you brought it up now?

  11. #11
    Suspended Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Ozarks
    Posts
    3,959
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Sorry that you brought it up now?
    Not really. I thought it was kind of funny (at expense of store). I have seen the same scenario used in TV sitcoms as sarcastic joke, so apparently I'm not the only one

  12. #12
    Charm Thai™
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    865
    When i was a lad my mom used to take my hand and slap it if i tried to grab for a grape when grocery shopping. She explained it to me as stealing so to this day i do not "sample".

  13. #13
    Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Lower AL
    Posts
    2,838
    Smokey, the consensus appears to be that your behavior is not only abnormal, but also criminal. Ergo, you should seek help and delete this thread to avoid self-incrimination.

    I sampled olives at the Fresh Market olive bar a couple weeks ago. I'm glad I got that off my chest.

  14. #14
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    6,307
    Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin View Post
    Smokey, the consensus appears to be that your behavior is not only abnormal, but also criminal. Ergo, you should seek help and delete this thread to avoid self-incrimination.

    I sampled olives at the Fresh Market olive bar a couple weeks ago. I'm glad I got that off my chest.

    But did you have intent to purchase?
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •