Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39

Thread: Cell phone fine

  1. #1
    Santa Claus
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    263

    Cell phone fine

    My friend just called and got a $90 fine for using his cell phone in a car in NYC.Yes they are inforcing it.

  2. #2
    it's about the music
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    279
    90 bucks. count your blessings. the fine is 300€ here in spain. just shy of 400 bucks
    I remember the days when I thought 128kbps sounded great and had never spent more than 10 bucks on cables...

  3. #3
    Stereo value > car value texlle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    186
    Well, that's pretty crappy. I don't use my cell phone much while driving. If I do, I make conversation short.
    Dynaudio Audience 42
    Conrad-Johnson PV14
    Sonographe SA-250
    Music Hall CD 25.2
    Musical Fidelity V3 series- X-LPS phono preamp, X-DAC, X-PSU
    Rega RP1 w/ performance pack
    Pure i-20 iPod dock
    -----------------------------
    B&W DM603s2- B&W LCR60s3- B&W DM302
    Velodyne CT-120 12" sub
    Rotel RSX-1055
    Arcam CD73T
    Samsung LN46C630 46" LCD
    Denon DBP-1611 bluray
    -----------------------------
    KEF K120- Jolida JD202a- Cambridge Audio D300 cdp- T500 tuner

    Photo gallery

  4. #4
    nerd ericl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    908
    good. people who talk on their cells while driving are not concentrating on driving. they are a annoying as hell, not to mention dangerous.

  5. #5
    Forum Regular PAT.P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    ont ,canada
    Posts
    1,096
    Quote Originally Posted by ericl
    good. people who talk on their cells while driving are not concentrating on driving. they are a annoying as hell, not to mention dangerous.
    I agree with you Eric.I see them on cells ,eat at same time and dont concentrate on braking distance .The Youth are the worst when they combined their loud music.

  6. #6
    Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Nueva Jork
    Posts
    2,148

    Good...

    Quote Originally Posted by Fergymunster
    My friend just called and got a $90 fine for using his cell phone in a car in NYC.Yes they are inforcing it.
    ...now if they can get the people to actually stop at STOP signs and red lights...and get the Nassau and Suffolk county cops and the NYS state troopers to enforce the speed limit on the LIE and Northern State Parkway...and get the tailgaters off my backside when I'm already, quite literally, forced to exceed the posted limits by their @hole driving habits...

    jimHJJ(...I can dream, can't I?...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

    "Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

    "The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

    "We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

    If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

  7. #7
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...now if they can get the people to actually stop at STOP signs and red lights...and get the Nassau and Suffolk county cops and the NYS state troopers to enforce the speed limit on the LIE and Northern State Parkway...and get the tailgaters off my backside when I'm already, quite literally, forced to exceed the posted limits by their @hole driving habits...

    jimHJJ(...I can dream, can't I?...)
    While you're at at, why not stop women from putting on make-up & guys from shaving while they drive?

    Oh well. At least it's a step in the right direction.

    My foolish thought of the day: Most cell phones have GPS now right? Why not make them disabled at speeds above 10mph unless dialing 911?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  8. #8
    Santa Claus
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...now if they can get the people to actually stop at STOP signs and red lights...and get the Nassau and Suffolk county cops and the NYS state troopers to enforce the speed limit on the LIE and Northern State Parkway...and get the tailgaters off my backside when I'm already, quite literally, forced to exceed the posted limits by their @hole driving habits...

    jimHJJ(...I can dream, can't I?...)
    At this point I call it mere survival.Sometimes I dive slow but if I go to slow I'm now disrupting the flow of traffic and could be dangerous.Somtimes I drive fast temporary to by pass some congestion or go around a truck the has the potentail of spilling stone on the road.When I'm out there I have the eyes of a hawk and have to think in advance as to what other people might do.There's no such thing of finding the middle ground as the people are not perfect i.e 55 or 65 per hour.People adapt

  9. #9
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    134
    Before it was law I did not use a headset for my cell phone. Once it became mandatory I realized how much easier it was to concentrate on the road and drive. I will never use a cell phone without one. Now I just need a phone with bluetooth so I can use a wireless headset.

    Resident Loser, I drive a lot for my job. Speed is not the issue on the roads. Using your signals when changing lanes is what causes the most problems. My other issue with drivers on the road is slow people in the left lane. When all cars that want to go faster in the left lane have to constantly change lanes around slower drivers, this causes more potential for accidents then cars moving faster. Look the the Autobahn in Germany, they do not have more accidents than on the LIE.
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    PSB Image T65
    PSB Image C60
    PSB Image S50
    Yamaha YST-SW1500
    Mitsubishi WS-55807
    Sony DVP-NC875V SACD
    Logitech Harmony 880
    Iriver Ihp-120 MP3 Player

  10. #10
    Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Nueva Jork
    Posts
    2,148

    It's a pity...

    Quote Originally Posted by Fergymunster
    At this point I call it mere survival.Sometimes I dive slow but if I go to slow I'm now disrupting the flow of traffic and could be dangerous.Somtimes I drive fast temporary to by pass some congestion or go around a truck the has the potentail of spilling stone on the road.When I'm out there I have the eyes of a hawk and have to think in advance as to what other people might do.There's no such thing of finding the middle ground as the people are not perfect i.e 55 or 65 per hour.People adapt
    ...they can't adapt to obeying the laws...But NOO-oo-oo...it's everyone else who has to adapt to their idiocy...Didja' ever think of slowing down to avoid whatever congestion you may encounter? And then using defensive driving tactics to keep out of harms way? Speeding and not leaving a proper space cushion is the root of most traffic woes, the combination causes congestion...Whadya' just do, notice the gravel truck a car length away? You should be well aware of such possibilities way before you find it necessary to pull some no-signal, lead-footed, lunkhead maneuver...

    Ever notice the blocks of @holes and how they travel in flocks? Or the folks who seem to think they're at Taledega and they're in some poor schmuck's slipstream simply doing some drafting...Or the morons who seem to think the HOV lanes are really the US equivalent of the autobahn...and then flash lights and blow horns when all along they should see the traffic patterns, see the speeds and realize there ain't no place to go...but obviously they have to get where they're going...like nobody else does?

    Slow traffic is the problem, eh?

    jimHJJ(...you just keep thinkin' that...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

    "Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

    "The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

    "We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

    If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

  11. #11
    BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,994
    Lets face it,its tough out on the road. Really,i hate to drive. The new thing here in North Long Beach is if your at a stoplight,someone will pull up on your right like they are making a turn but then when the light turns green,they speed ahead of you and everyone else thats been waiting at the light. Also passing in the yellow divider thats for left turns for both lanes. The other day i was in the diamond lane doing 85 and a guy comes up on my a$$ and ride it until i can get out. Then i get back in and give hime some of it which of course he doesnt like so he slows to 50. Jackhole.
    Look & Listen

  12. #12
    Santa Claus
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...they can't adapt to obeying the laws...But NOO-oo-oo...it's everyone else who has to adapt to their idiocy...Didja' ever think of slowing down to avoid whatever congestion you may encounter? And then using defensive driving tactics to keep out of harms way? Speeding and not leaving a proper space cushion is the root of most traffic woes, the combination causes congestion...Whadya' just do, notice the gravel truck a car length away? You should be well aware of such possibilities way before you find it necessary to pull some no-signal, lead-footed, lunkhead maneuver...

    Ever notice the blocks of @holes and how they travel in flocks? Or the folks who seem to think they're at Taledega and they're in some poor schmuck's slipstream simply doing some drafting...Or the morons who seem to think the HOV lanes are really the US equivalent of the autobahn...and then flash lights and blow horns when all along they should see the traffic patterns, see the speeds and realize there ain't no place to go...but obviously they have to get where they're going...like nobody else does?

    Slow traffic is the problem, eh?

    jimHJJ(...you just keep thinkin' that...)
    You obviuosly got a chip on your shoulders.Maybe a yoga class or psycriotic treatment.When your finished with that you could always talk to a police officer for furthur assistance.

  13. #13
    Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Nueva Jork
    Posts
    2,148

    Oh yeah...

    Quote Originally Posted by Fergymunster
    You obviuosly got a chip on your shoulders.Maybe a yoga class or psycriotic treatment.When your finished with that you could always talk to a police officer for furthur assistance.
    ...I see it all now...it's me...

    I'm not the one exhibiting the latent road-rage, and how everyone and everything is holdin' me back, thinking I can power-out of any predicament...

    jimHJJ(...bogus, self-serving BS...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

    "Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

    "The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

    "We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

    If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

  14. #14
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    134
    Resident loser, I drive over 125 miles per day for the last 7 years. After seeing what causes more potential issues on the road it is the non-use of the turn signal. Yes a lot of people who drive fast drive like retards. However the same can be said for the slow drivers. Example, I'm on the i95 heading from Westchester to Long Island. Man in left lane doing 45-50 miles per hour. Sees cars coming up from behind in his lane. Turns wheel and crosses to lanes of traffic with no signal. Cars pass, then he turn across two lanes again no signal. How much safer is that because he is driving slow. Stupid is Stupid.

    I tend to drive in between the fastest and the slowest and I use my signals. Like I said before the more lane shifting on a road is the problem. It is because of drivers with the attitude of "It's my right to drive 55 in the left lane" are the ones who will cause more accidents indirectly because of all the excess lane shifting around them.

    Also SUV's , there should be an SUV class license because people can not drive them. They can not judge their lane at all, think they are invincable in bad weather or are scared of their size themselves.

    Faster speeds do not cause accidents, people doing stupid things do... Like talking on your cell phone without a hands free.

    Greg
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    PSB Image T65
    PSB Image C60
    PSB Image S50
    Yamaha YST-SW1500
    Mitsubishi WS-55807
    Sony DVP-NC875V SACD
    Logitech Harmony 880
    Iriver Ihp-120 MP3 Player

  15. #15
    Santa Claus
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...I see it all now...it's me...

    I'm not the one exhibiting the latent road-rage, and how everyone and everything is holdin' me back, thinking I can power-out of any predicament...

    jimHJJ(...bogus, self-serving BS...)
    Peace bro,were all in the same boat.

  16. #16
    BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,994
    I thought we were talking about cars,not boats?
    Look & Listen

  17. #17
    Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Nueva Jork
    Posts
    2,148

    And of course...

    Quote Originally Posted by HAVIC
    Resident Loser, I drive a lot for my job. Speed is not the issue on the roads. Using your signals when changing lanes is what causes the most problems. My other issue with drivers on the road is slow people in the left lane. When all cars that want to go faster in the left lane have to constantly change lanes around slower drivers *, this causes more potential for accidents then cars moving faster. Look the the Autobahn in Germany, they do not have more accidents than on the LIE.
    ...what happens when, while observing the speed limit, you want to pass a car for whatever reason, you signal and enter the left lane, you know... the passing lane...and in the middle of doing it some dipwad screaming out of nowhere is on your @$$ flashing his lights, fully expecting you to get out of his way? Sorry spitball, I don't get back to the right until...until I see the passed-vehicle's front end completely in my rear-view mirror...it's called proper passing procedure, a space cushion...and I certainly don't speed up above the posted limit to comply either...and then the p!$$pot flips me the bird! I guess that's why I've had only two accidents in my forty years of driving and one of them involved rolling my CJ-7 while off-road...

    Familiar with the LIE, maybe the Northern State...Travel east just before the Meadowbrook, watch the freakshow particularly in the twisty area where the signs say "Stay In Lane"...or when they cut from the extreme left, over four lanes of traffic to hit said Meadowbrook...

    *Faster? Faster than what...the so-called "slower drivers" doing the 55mph (or otherwise posted) limit?

    jimHJJ(...Yeah, my fault...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

    "Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

    "The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

    "We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

    If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

  18. #18
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...what happens when, while observing the speed limit, you want to pass a car for whatever reason, you signal and enter the left lane, you know... the passing lane...and in the middle of doing it some dipwad screaming out of nowhere is on your @$$ flashing his lights, fully expecting you to get out of his way? Sorry spitball, I don't get back to the right until...until I see the passed-vehicle's front end completely in my rear-view mirror...it's called proper passing procedure, a space cushion...and I certainly don't speed up above the posted limit to comply either...and then the p!$$pot flips me the bird! I guess that's why I've had only two accidents in my forty years of driving and one of them involved rolling my CJ-7 while off-road...

    Familiar with the LIE, maybe the Northern State...Travel east just before the Meadowbrook, watch the freakshow particularly in the twisty area where the signs say "Stay In Lane"...or when they cut from the extreme left, over four lanes of traffic to hit said Meadowbrook...

    *Faster? Faster than what...the so-called "slower drivers" doing the 55mph (or otherwise posted) limit?

    jimHJJ(...Yeah, my fault...)

    Move over will ya? Can't you see that I'm late to pick up my Sammy Hagar CD?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  19. #19
    Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Nueva Jork
    Posts
    2,148

    And...

    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Move over will ya? Can't you see that I'm late to pick up my Sammy Hagar CD?
    ...sad but true, that's about it...

    More people need to see "Signal 30" and partake of the Smith Defensive Driving System...

    jimHJJ(...or be shot on sight...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

    "Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

    "The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

    "We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

    If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

  20. #20
    Santa Claus
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    263

    Drivers

    I look at it this way.Anyone who is 21 years old or 75 years old has a so called license.They get it by passing a test that any idiot can figure out.In some cases it takes 3 or more trys but ultimitally you'll get the license.As for truck drivers the rules are more stringent.Now you put these people on roads and what the heck do you think going to happen. EX:A person who is lets say is 75 is probably going to go slow.A person who is 21 with one foot in the grave we'll go his pace.Now you through in the different personalites in to the mix.i.e corvettes,hummers,porches etc...Is it any wonder we have the problems we do.Oh and gas prices, only adds full to the fire.

  21. #21
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,826

    Here in the Bay area...

    Alot of folks here in the Bay Area already have wireless headphone sets, and talk on them while driving. It doesn't make them a safer driver than a person holding a cellphone. It just enables them to keep both hands on the wheel, but they are stil distracted and dangerous.

    Pedestrians here do not have a chance against these cellphone welding idiots. I have been almost run over too many times by cellphone users, headsets and all.

    I hate cellphones to the upmost, but must carry one for work. I hate using the bluetooth because it makes you look like you are from Star Trek, though the blackberry has come in handy on a few situations. If I didn't have to own any of these, I wouldn't. I personally have heard far to much private details about folk that I prefer not to hear. The worst was listening to a girl talk about her boyfriend beating the crap outta her after being caught with here lesbian lover in bed while in the grocery store line. People tend to talk on cellphones like they were at home in their bedrooms seemingly unaware that they are talking loud enough for others to hear. Ban the technology if you ask me!
    Sir Terrence

    Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

  22. #22
    Santa Claus
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Alot of folks here in the Bay Area already have wireless headphone sets, and talk on them while driving. It doesn't make them a safer driver than a person holding a cellphone. It just enables them to keep both hands on the wheel, but they are stil distracted and dangerous.

    Pedestrians here do not have a chance against these cellphone welding idiots. I have been almost run over too many times by cellphone users, headsets and all.

    I hate cellphones to the upmost, but must carry one for work. I hate using the bluetooth because it makes you look like you are from Star Trek, though the blackberry has come in handy on a few situations. If I didn't have to own any of these, I wouldn't. I personally have heard far to much private details about folk that I prefer not to hear. The worst was listening to a girl talk about her boyfriend beating the crap outta her after being caught with here lesbian lover in bed while in the grocery store line. People tend to talk on cellphones like they were at home in their bedrooms seemingly unaware that they are talking loud enough for others to hear. Ban the technology if you ask me!
    Where I'm from people won't even talk to each other in person anymore,they'd rather communicate by way of cell phones.

  23. #23
    BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,994
    Kinda bothers me when someone is talking on a cell next to you and you hear everthing. A bit to personal for me to hear and i get uneasy. Must be me.
    Look & Listen

  24. #24
    Aging Smartass
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Moore, SC
    Posts
    1,003
    Rude and careless people will never go away. If a careless person has a cell phone, and a driver's license, then that's a recipe for trouble. I'm an ex-New Yorker who now lives in the Denver, CO area, and often travel back to NY. On my most recent trip from LaGuardia airport to my daughter's house in Baldwin Harbor (a trip of less than 20 miles that took well over an HOUR), I stopped counting the number of people illegally talking on their hand-held cell phones when I got up to 25.

    Here in Colorado, a recent bill was defeated to ban cell phone use in cars, but eventually, I think there will be enough of a public outcry to give it a try again. Not too long ago, a teenager, busy text messaging on his cell phone while driving, ran over and killed an older man on a bicycle.

    Here's an interesting anectode: the folks in a Florida communit were asked who they regarded as the most dangerous drivers. The anticipated answer was teenagers who speed, but the overwhelming response was this: women in SUV's on cell phones. Interesting, no?

  25. #25
    BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,994
    I'm seeing more and more students at my school with them. BTW,its K-5th.
    Look & Listen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •