Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Aging Smartass

Alli - wonder drug or embarassment creator extraordinaire

This is about as "off-topic" as I can imagine. I wonder if any AR members have tried the latest diet pill (approved by the FDA, no less!) called "Alli?"

Much hype has surrounded this pill, again claiming to be the end-all in diet aids, but now, more information seems to be being posted regarding its rather unpleasant side effects. I tried Alli for about a week and then, wham!, they hit.

Alli's literature ever so delicately describes one of the side effects as "gas with oily spotting." Imagine if you will, just what that means. And, "spotting" is putting it mildly too! I can't think of too many more disgusting things to happen to me (or anyone else) than to experience this side effect, and not even be aware of it until getting up off a cream-colored upholstered chair and completely unintentionally leaving a nasty, orange stain, as well as all but ruined underwear and pants.

The web is full of other people's horror stories about this "orange Wesson oil" running freely from one's derriere, and more than one person - myself inclulded - has stopped taking Alli to avoid further embarassment from this side effect (or "treatment" effect, as Alli's literature states).

What Alli does is pass fat through one's system undigested. It is recommended that you consume each of your meals with no more than 15 grams of fat (already a very low level, which in and of itself will result in significant weight loss). Anything more than 15 grams (and remember that a single bratwurst can have as much as 28 grams of fat in it) will result in "gas with oily spotting."

So, perhaps Alli, if one is really serious about taking it, provides nasty and unpleasant results if you go off track from its guidelines. As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather keep on the few extra pounds than ruin any more of my furniture, or risk the unparalleled humiliation of ruining someone else's furniture. The only word I can use regarding Alli is, "BEWARE!"

Suspended
    This gives new meaning to the term: Anal Leakage!

Think about how quickly one would go through a box of Depends while on this stuff...

Be wary of various herbal supplements and over the counter remedies for what ails ya!

Although the Fed has promised to tighten things up a bit, herbal products extolling the virtue of "going natural" have not been regulated as highly by the Fed as more established medications that go through quite a lot of experimentation and regulatory red tape before they are trotted out to market. Stuff like saw palmetto, gingko, and St. John's Wort may, on the surface, look tempting but they can have very nasty or strange side-effect profiles when mixed with prescription drugs. Some of these effects can be very harmful, like changing the body's metabolic mechanism. So, before you buy this stuff, check your doctor or a good nurse who knows about theses things....

Just a word to the wise, amigos!

Aging Smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas

Think about how quickly one would go through a box of Depends while on this stuff...
    One of the posters detailing the awful side effects of Alli suggested an "Alli-Oops" kit, consisting of many items, including Depends, several spare sets of underwear, etc., etc.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Wow. That's crazy. What a horrible side effect.

I don't trust diet supplements although their claims can sometimes be tempting. As you say, if you ate a low fat diet, as Alli recommends, in the first place then you wouldn't need the diet supplement. I'd rather carry a few extra pounds and be healthy than accept the risks associated with most diet aids.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Depends are for amatures.

Here is what you need when you take Allie:

http://www.jibjab.com/view/18095
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

You know situations like this can be useful....

If you are going through 4-day-undies, they can remind you which side was worn last...

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I refuse to lose weight. If 2/3 of the US population are overweight then I am finally a member of a majority.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Suspended
    I'm off to lunch!

Not a bad plan at all...

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Jeeze, I am glad that I do not have weight issues. I run 7 miles every other day no matter where I am. I eat right (more veggies and fruits less red meat), and I hit the gym at least 4 times every week when my schedule allows. Many in my family are overweight mostly due to the fact they eat and sit, eat and sleep, and they are just lazy.

Unless you have a thyroid problem, you don't need pills or fancy fixes to lose weight. The process is simple, and it is called calorie deficit. Burn more energy than your daily caloric intake, that is all. The problem is a lack of discipline, and nothing more than that.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Suspended
    Thanks so much for that inspirational message Mr. Clean.

Egad!

Almost enough to drive one to lowering their caloric intake and exercising more!

FWIW, I just saw a gigantic Alli display at Costco and a whole gaggle of people tossing those oversized bottles into their oversized shopping carts. (I think it occupied the same location as a comparably gargantuan display for Hoodia pills a few months ago) Didn't see anyone also loading up on Depends though...

15 grams of fat per day? That's your diet right there.
    Last edited by Woochifer; 08-05-2008 at 11:32 AM.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

BTW, these side effects are the same as Olestra -- the fat substitute that made its way into a bunch of ice creams and snack foods before an FDA mandated warning label (see below) got slapped onto all products containing Olestra and demand quickly fizzled out.

This Product Contains Olestra. Olestra may cause abdominal cramping and loose stools. Olestra inhibits the absorption of some vitamins and other nutrients. Vitamins A, D, E, and K have been added.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Actually, it's the same meaning as before, just a new line added to the Wiki entry ... right above the one discussing the correlation between leaking and eating butterfish ... (now you know what NOT to touch next time you go through a buffet line)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal_leakage

BTW, great line from the wiki entry for Alli (Orlistat) ...

'With Allies Like This, Who Needs Enemas?'
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Suspended
    People here have the ability to take ANYTHING and run with it!!!

This place is a gas!!!

Aging Smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    Depends are for amatures.

Here is what you need when you take Allie:

http://www.jibjab.com/view/18095
    That was out and out HYSTERICAL!!

Aging Smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    BTW, these side effects are the same as Olestra -- the fat substitute that made its way into a bunch of ice creams and snack foods before an FDA mandated warning label (see below) got slapped onto all products containing Olestra and demand quickly fizzled out.
    Long before products made with Olestra were available, food purists were alarmed at the possible side effects (I believe it was the Olestra side effect of "anal leakage" that actually created that horrible term), and the fact that Olestra was a "non-food" that actually deprived one of nutritional benefits of foods made with it.

Naturally, most of this alarm was appropriate only when huge amounts were ingested, such as five or more large bags of potato chips. "Wow!" brand potato chips were test-marketed at a series of different locations throughout the country prior to releasing the product nationwide, and in all of those test markets, the stores couldn't keep the product on the shelves. Side effects were minimal, if they occurred at all.

Once made readily availble, "Wow!" potato chips flopped, not because of Olestra's side effects, but because they chips were far greasier than standard potato chips, and because they cost so much more money. A regular bag may cost $3.59, but the Wow! version, with a somewhat lower content of chips, sold for $4.95 - just far too much more money.

The name "Wow!" has now been replaced with "Light," but the chips are the same: they taste pretty good, are a bit greasy, and don't cause any side effects (unless you eat a ton of them). And they're still too expensive.

Aging Smartass
    This place is a gas!!!
    With "oily, orange spotting."

Quote Originally Posted by emaidel
    Long before products made with Olestra were available, food purists were alarmed at the possible side effects (I believe it was the Olestra side effect of "anal leakage" that actually created that horrible term)
    Well, it's only a horrible term if you think about it too much ... or at all!

Actually, I recall watching a standup comedian back in the 80s doing a whole routine about "wet farts" ... it was really funny, but not quite crapinyourpants funny!
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emaidel
    With "oily, orange spotting."

This just does not sound right........
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    This just does not sound right........
    For whatever reason, I got visions of JSE's favorite taco truck pulling into the driveway with "La Cucaracha" blaring on the horn ...
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Alli is the joke of the pharmaceutical world---epicac for the butt. Ya gotta love directions that essentially say, start eating healthy and we'll make your intestines implode".

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    Be wary of various herbal supplements and over the counter remedies for what ails ya!

Although the Fed has promised to tighten things up a bit, herbal products extolling the virtue of "going natural" have not been regulated as highly by the Fed as more established medications that go through quite a lot of experimentation and regulatory red tape before they are trotted out to market. Stuff like saw palmetto, gingko, and St. John's Wort may, on the surface, look tempting but they can have very nasty or strange side-effect profiles when mixed with prescription drugs. Some of these effects can be very harmful, like changing the body's metabolic mechanism. So, before you buy this stuff, check your doctor or a good nurse who knows about theses things....

Just a word to the wise, amigos!
    Well, let's be careful treading here. As each person's metabolic rate and capacity differ, each person will find different solutions and successes. Generally, though, the key is in moderation. Of course, we as Americans aren't good at that so if a product promises to slice of sixty pounds or more of fat, so what if you have to blow out the inner walls of your rectum.

I've maintained the same weight since high school and I'm in my thirties now. Yes, excercise and a healthy diet play the biggest role. As T says, fresh fruits and veggies are your friend and any natural source of magnesium and potassium is a good thing for your metabolism. Portion size is something of which every human should be conscious...clearly in our culture it isn't self-regulated well.

At the same time, I've found that moderate supplements of ginko and fish oil combined with a fiber-high meal per day has a marvelous effect on my metabolism, and most importantly, one that's controllable. Think about the folks in our hobby that say, "more watts ain't necessarily better watts". With most supplements you will get all the benifits from taking the recommended amount or just slightly above. You can't get twenty-five times the benifit by taking twenty-five times the pills (your body will excrete any extra) but it's likely you'll get twenty-five times the side-effects.

On a happy note emaidel, any good nutritionist will tell you that when implementing a health program the first step is always a cleanse. It sounds like you've got that taken care of. Now, just back off on the tootin' juice, moderate your caloric and fat intake, and get the blood pumping with some exercise (no matter how rudimentary it may be; walking is a great starter and swimming is the best activity on the planet).

It really is about looking at everything from a wholistic point of view aimed toward healthy habits...

...and a shot of GHB now and then don't hurt eitha.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    The problem is a lack of discipline, and nothing more than that.

You are so right Sir T I need discipline, sir.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Keep your kids in a bubble, better yet

keep yourself in a buble from all the noise.

You guys remember Ephedra and Valerian Roots..............................ON WEED!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information