Samsung Grabs 88% of U.S. 3D TV Market

Samsung has grabbed a commanding share of U.S. 3D TV sales. They seem to have done this by implementing a backwards approach to introducing the 3D feature.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-09-0...-sales-targets

Rivals like Sony and Panasonic introduced 3D by adding it on their top-of-the-line HDTVs -- TVs that have lower volume, but higher prices and higher margins. In initial comparisons, the 3D feature seemed to around $300 compared to similar 2D HDTVs.

Samsung also introduced 3D to their higher end HDTVs, but they've run away with the market by also adding 3D to their entry level 50" plasma HDTV. Basically, they took a 50" HDTV that normally sells for around $600-$700, and after adding the 3D capability, now sell it for around $1,000. It's actually the same 3D price premium that you find in the higher end models, except that it's on a higher volume entry level model.

Samsung's approach is basically the opposite from how just about every other home theater feature has been added. Normally, a new feature or standard gets introduced in the higher end models, and then eventually makes its way into the entry level lines. Samsung has added it to the entry level TV model right from the outset. While this has ballooned Samsung's market share, it has also dropped the bottom out of the 3D TV price points. Sony and Panasonic both say that they will miss their sales targets, while Samsung way exceeds theirs. Rivals have not indicated that they will follow Samsung's 3D strategy. Should be interesting to see how this all plays out.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Samsung has grabbed a commanding share of U.S. 3D TV sales. They seem to have done this by implementing a backwards approach to introducing the 3D feature.
    That is so cool, on multiple fronts:

1.) It's fascinating to see how proper marketing research along with the courage to follow the results really affects the bottom line.

2.) This will bring 3D out significantly faster. While I know that some of us believe that 3D will be a flop, it will interesting to watch it unfold at a faster pace.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Sony not to be left out is bringing its first 3D projector the VPL-VW90ES to Europe first(which is pretty weird). No price has been suggested as of yet, but it will be the second 3D projector to hit the market.

I believe this is where 3D will shine.

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/09/01/so...r-at-ifa-2010/
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Cool

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Sony not to be left out is bringing its first 3D projector the VPL-VW90ES to Europe first(which is pretty weird). No price has been suggested as of yet, but it will be the second 3D projector to hit the market.
    BEFORE it flames out.

3D is a "gimmick"
    Peter Bogdonavich
    ROGER EBERT

LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by manlystanley
    That is so cool, on multiple fronts:

1.) It's fascinating to see how proper marketing research along with the courage to follow the results really affects the bottom line.

2.) This will bring 3D out significantly faster. While I know that some of us believe that 3D will be a flop, it will interesting to watch it unfold at a faster pace.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Clearly, this is a very interesting approach that Samsung is trying out. I don't think I've ever seen a new home theater feature introduced on an entry level component with the first generation. But, the sales seem to support their approach.

And it doesn't really harm their bottomline because they are charging the same price premium for the 3D feature on the entry level HDTV as they do for their flagship model. If anything, on a percentage basis, the 3D feature pads the margins much more on the entry level HDTV.

Figure that they by adding 3D, they've elevated a $700 TV into a $1,000 TV, and sales are going through the roof. That $700 HDTV was a high volume, low margin model. Now, at $1,000 it's a high volume, high margin model. All of the other 3D HDTVs are somewhere in the $2,000 range, with the same $300 price premium for the 3D feature. Those models are low volume, high margin, regardless of whether it includes 3D.

Where Samsung does harm is to its competitors, and its own flagship models. It's always been common practice in home theater for desired new features to get packed onto a flagship component that has a lot of other features and generally higher specifications. It runs on the premise that any new feature will initially have lower sales volume, which manufacturers make up for with higher margins. This new approach turns that equation on its head, and it will be interesting to see if it takes hold in other future product introductions.

I agree that this significantly speeds up the 3D rollout. As I've said before on other threads, I think the killer app for 3D will be sports and you already have two dedicated 3D channels broadcasting live games (the 3D coverage of the U.S. Open purportedly looks spectacular, and you have several college football games on tap for 3D as well).

Directv and several cable operators have already upgraded their equipment for 3D, the PS3 3D update for Blu-ray and gaming playback is due out next month, three new 3D TV channels will go online in the next few months, and now you have Samsung selling millions of 3D TVs in a single quarter. The market has come together in a remarkably short time, considering that the 3D TV standard was finalized less than a year ago.

The only lag right now is with programming, and that's simply due to a shortage of 3D production facilities and cameras.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/09/01/so...r-at-ifa-2010/
    Is that one of Sony's LCoS models? I've already seen that some DLP TVs have gotten firmware updates that add the 3D feature. Would it be a comparably simple update for front projectors as well?
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

I would agree that the 3d thing is mostly a gimmick and untill they can incorporate it into all programming and people don't have to wear those "cool breeze" glasses then I think it will continue to be a gimmick.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07
    I would agree that the 3d thing is mostly a gimmick and untill they can incorporate it into all programming and people don't have to wear those "cool breeze" glasses then I think it will continue to be a gimmick.
    The massive headaches don't help much, either.
    Sorry if I AM SKEPTICAL, but I have seen 3D crash and burn more than a third
    world passenger plane.
    IN SPITE OF what Talky says, the "improvements " are minor. Like Ebert said, just imagine
    your favorite movie and then imagine how it would be improved by 3D.
    3d WILL make a great thrill ride, but even now its use is sliding towards exploitation
    flicks like PRIANNA, this always happens, serious films shy away from 3D, afraid it will
    lessen their value as a work of art.
    When the Cohen brothers put out a 3D flick I will check it out, but right now its just a way
    to keep idiots entertained. WHY PAY SO MUCH for something that will be rarely watched?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Is that one of Sony's LCoS models? I've already seen that some DLP TVs have gotten firmware updates that add the 3D feature. Would it be a comparably simple update for front projectors as well?
    It is one of their lycos models. I think the 3D ready televisions you speak of were Samsung or Mitsubishi sets. Since they were already 3D ready, it is easy to upgrade them to a specific 3D format. Projectors need to be 3D ready also(and not many are) to have the ability to be firmware upgradable. The projector must also have a way to sync the shutter glasses, and most don't have that capability either.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Hey

Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07
    Yo Bro, don't be hatin' on my glasses like that...

Worf

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Yo Bro, don't be hatin' on my glasses like that...

Worf
    That's what I sayin......
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp