Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Suspended

How did you guys miss the first Universal Blu-ray player??

That's right, the Denon DVD-A1UD is the first. It will play most anything you have, SACD, DVD-A, CD, DVD, and of course Blu-ray.

http://www.blu-ray.com/players/players.php?p=1&id=120

But, yeah, it exists, you might want to keep waiting on the Oppo if this price is any where near true.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10113801-1.html

Cool

NOT overlooking it, mr pee pee, but theres one small problem...
    TWENTY FIVE HUNDRED BUCKS

Yeah, let me pull that outta my BUTT.
    I am saving so I DONT HAVE TO EAT cheap dog food when I RETIRE,
    I am aiming for expensive dog food.
    For 2500$ I could have a pair of nautilus speakers, I could finally make the jump
    from receiver peon to cheap seperates peon.
    I could buy sex from a real girl.
    I could rent a place where cockroaches are optional.
    I only have two kidneys, and I WAS SAVING ONE for an emergency.
    And theres nobody left in town stupid enough to loan me money.
    TWENTY FIVE HUNDRED BUCKS for a disc player.
    GAWD.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Suspended
    I'll send the link to my boss. He's a big Denon fan, and since he ALSO still has a job, he'll probably jump on it.

Lol....

Great response Pix... For once you and I are in TOTAL agreement. I don't know what brand of crack those guys are smokin' but they need to give it up.

Da Worfster

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    I could buy sex from a real girl.
    Real IS better Pix, ya should try it sometime. Even better when you don't have to pay for it.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    Real IS better Pix, ya should try it sometime. Even better when you don't have to pay for it.
    When it's the real thing...One way or another, you pay.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    You maybe right but with the right lady it's a small premium to pay.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

How did you guys miss the first Universal Blu-ray player?

I didn't. I got the PS3.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Suspended
    I'm wit sticks.

Suspended
    Technically, the Denon plays DVD-A, can the PS3 do that?

Pix, what's your point

LDB sound like a bit of a romantic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Psst Mr.P, don't let that be known around here tho, OK.

I'll never hear the end of it from Rich.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    ESPECIALLY when you get to my age.
    But no matter the age, you do ALWAYS pay, one way or the other.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

Technically, the Denon plays DVD-A, can the PS3 do that?

Pix, what's your point

My POINT?
    Well, gee, un, lets see,....
    OH yeah...

TWENTY FIVE HUNDRED BUCKS

AND FOR WHAT?
    Much as I love the idea of SACD, it and DVD-A is dead, basically.
    A bLU AUDIO FORMAT will drive a stake into its heart for good.
    As for performance, BLU is like CD when it first came out, mainly that a cheap Blu player
    will porbably do about as good as an expensive one.
    All you get with an expensive one is refinement and a few extra features.
    Like playing obsolete audio formats most have never heard of...
    Now if I were rich enough to use a crack ho for a footstool on a daily basis
    (instead of just for the holidays) then sure why not?
    The Lambo insurance is that much a month.
    But I LIVE IN A WORLD where 2500 bucks is a new set of Beemer speakers,
    five months rent, a pre-pro that I have craved forever, etc.
    VIDEO is not like analog audio, you get only very tiny improvements by throwing money at it, and I can get a lot bigger bang for the buck than a very marginal improvement
    I would get with the Denon.
    Heck, thats a weekend in Vegas!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How did you guys miss the first Universal Blu-ray player??-bernake.jpg  
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

nightflier

$2500 for what, exactly?

Maybe the real issue is that it's $2500 for a made-in-China Denon. I'm sure if it was a Levinson, people would be wondering why the price was so low.

But yeah, so far, the only realistic option for us regular guys who want a universal player is the Oppo, when & if it finally arrives. For $2500 you could buy a pretty sweet dedicated SACD player, and BR player, and still have money left over for some software to boot. Someone up at Denon corporate is smoking pot, big time.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    Psst Mr.P, don't let that be known around here tho, OK.

I'll never hear the end of it from Rich.
    Well, when you live in... where is it, Kenelowa Bitter Cold, what else do you have to do?

Pix couldn't have said it any better eh?

Cool

BUT LET ME STATE, 2500 bucks aint bad for some things.
    I had a windfall a few years back(3500 bucks), an exelent time to upgrade the B&W's.
    Instead I wasted it on bills, what a bonehead thing to do.
    Having to save for an uncertain future sucks, really.
    BUT A DISC PLAYER?
    I have seen the 2500$ dedecated CD players from people like LINN.
    practically a work of art, but certainly out of my range.
    You have to go for value when you are at the bottom of the fish bowl
    2500 SPEAKERS?
    Sure, when its time to upgrade, speakers are a major part of your system and long lasting.
    Too long lasting sometimes when you have to justify new ones to the ol sperm bank.
    But a 2500 disc playing anything?
    PHOOEY
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Suspended
    Pix, you are bassackwards again. What good are $2,500.00 speakers with a budget player? If your source isn't pulling the info off the software then your speakers isn't going to play it. You used to make fun of Rich for having B&W with a receiver, get you shtuff straight. You must be sharing the crack with your ho's. Ho's, what's the deal, you used to be a cop. Although, that is one scary thought. You'd really have a stroke to find out the price of my CDP.

For a bit of perspective, not that I'd buy the player, the Marantz 8002, Denon 3800, Sony 5000es & the new Elite flagship are BR players at or above $1999.00, so if you have a universal player for $500.00 more, it don't seem like such a bad deal.

Cool

Pix, you are bassackwards again. What good are $2,500.00 speakers with a budget player? If your source isn't pulling the info off the software then your speakers isn't going to play it. You used to make fun of Rich for having B&W with a receiver, get you shtuff straight. You must be sharing the crack with your ho's. Ho's, what's the deal, you used to be a cop. Although, that is one scary thought. You'd really have a stroke to find out the price of my CDP.

For a bit of perspective, not that I'd buy the player, the Marantz 8002, Denon 3800, Sony 5000es & the new Elite flagship are BR players at or above $1999.00, so if you have a universal player for $500.00 more, it don't seem like such a bad deal.
    Its called the law of diminishing returns.
    You might think that a 2,000 CD player sounds better, but you only think so.
    ALL BLU players will output basically a 1080p signal.
    Unless there is something wrong with the player the picture is going to be so close to perfect that it will outperform even the most expensive monitor.
    ALL you get with a 2,000 blu player is more features, maybe better build q,
    and the right to brag about wasting 2000 on something you could have bought for five.
    In other words brag about being a dunderass.
    Maybe an aluminum faceplate.
    You wanna waste money, it YOUR money, you are the crackhead sir.
    I listen to most music on my comp now anyway, a computer file is a computer
    file if played off of a silver disc or a hard drive, my entire lossless collection takes less than a 100 gigs, and sounds as good as any CD.
    I might (emphasize might) one day get something like a CAMBRIDGE in the 500 buck range, but I doubt it, no need.
    I have enough things on the list (and not enough money) to waste it on stuff, or performance only a dog could hear or an eagle could see.
    I HAVE A RANGE OF 12-12AND A HALF KZ on hearing, good for someone my age,
    I need a 20 to 20,000 hz cd player like you need a condom.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Great response Pix... For once you and I are in TOTAL agreement. I don't know what brand of crack those guys are smokin' but they need to give it up.

Da Worfster
    Seconded! (or thirded or fourthed or whatever)...

$2.5K for a Blu Ray Player is exceedingly steep... When (actually, IF, and that's a big IF) I reach to the stage where I'm dropping in excess of $10K on speakers, then I'll likely look to ditch the Benchmark (but up to that point, a $1K source is as much as I'll need)

Suspended
    Ajani, you think a balanced system consists of speakers 10 times the price of the source? That's insane. I really don't see what you guys think you're getting out of expensive speakers with nothing to feed them.

2nd, 3rd or 4th Pix if you wish, it's no different to worship a mega buck speaker with nothing to back it up than some one who is willing to spend extra for an aluminum face and elegant looks on a BR player, or correction, "universal" player which is a big difference.

Ajani
    Ajani, you think a balanced system consists of speakers 10 times the price of the source? That's insane. I really don't see what you guys think you're getting out of expensive speakers with nothing to feed them.

2nd, 3rd or 4th Pix if you wish, it's no different to worship a mega buck speaker with nothing to back it up than some one who is willing to spend extra for an aluminum face and elegant looks on a BR player, or correction, "universal" player which is a big difference.
    Don't get me wrong... I appreciate the value of a good source... it's just that at this stage I really can't see a reason to upgrade my source...

Also it's not 10:1 price difference, more like 6:1 (you need to count the cost of the transport and digital cable in the price of the source) - though hopefully my explanation below will make it clear that I'm not suggesting pairing a $1.5K source with a $10K pair of speakers as a balanced system...

Good sound can be had by pairing expensive speakers with a moderately priced source and the opposite is also true...

My approach is to get a really good source 1st (can be had at a much, much, much cheaper price than a really good pair of speakers) and then add a good amp and speakers...

Consider some of the major audio publications (such as Stereophile and The Absolute Sound)... according to their reviews, several real high end digital (not analog) sources can be had at less than $1.5K (as low as $900)... a handful of real high end amps (with modest power output) can be had at $1.5K+, while real high end speakers tend to start around $4.5K (unless you are willing to accept very limited dynamic range or have a smaller room)... So basically, you could spend $1K on a CD Player, $1.5K on an integrated amp and $4.5K on a pair of speakers and have a proper 'high end' setup... To really improve on the speakers, you'd need to jump to in excess of $10K (at which time you'd want to upgrade your source and amp as well)... so I'm not actually suggesting using a $1K CD player and a $10K pair of speakers...

If I was to use a price ratio (based on components I like), I'd spend about $1.5K on source, $1.5K to $2K on an Integrated amp and $3K on speakers (for a small to medium room)... I'm certain I could reverse the price of the source and speakers and still get a good sounding system (but based on components I'm familiar with, I'd expect the first ratio to be the most satisfying)...

Suspended
    A sigh of relief.

I know you aren't a big Dynaudio fan but knowing what they can do I have to disagree on not being able to find a "high end" speaker at $1,5k. Well, I haven't seen the prices recently, we may have to bump that up to $2.5k if we can't include used. You should hear my Audience 60's pushed by an Adcom 5500. They rock, and you would not believe the amount of good clean bass from a single 6 1/2" driver. If I was buying again, I could be very happy with the Focus 110. I wouldn't put the Focus speaker on the Adcom system. It's what I call my R&R system. I'd probably check out the Excite. But the Focus in my main system I think would be fine.

Ajani
    A sigh of relief.

I know you aren't a big Dynaudio fan but knowing what they can do I have to disagree on not being able to find a "high end" speaker at $1,5k. Well, I haven't seen the prices recently, we may have to bump that up to $2.5k if we can't include used. You should hear my Audience 60's pushed by an Adcom 5500. They rock, and you would not believe the amount of good clean bass from a single 6 1/2" driver. If I was buying again, I could be very happy with the Focus 110. I wouldn't put the Focus speaker on the Adcom system. It's what I call my R&R system. I'd probably check out the Excite. But the Focus in my main system I think would be fine.
    When I say High End, I'm referring to the major audio mags' definition... So in the case of Stereophile - Class A... At $1.5K You can get a number of excellent speakers but they will all be regarded as Class B by Stereophile (such as the Revel Concerta F12, Monitor Audio RS6 and even the Dynaudio Focus 110 you mentioned)... Now whether the difference between Class A and Class B is that big a deal is debatable... and in my opinion high end starts at Class B (or maybe even C) but SOTA is clearly A...

The Focus 110 and 220 (even though not my favorite speakers) are examples of what I'd personally consider small to medium sized room high end... in their price ranges I'd much rather the Monitor Audio Gold Series GS10 and GS20 (but that's for my specific tastes and only because I preferred the more prominent treble of the MAs to the mildly laid back treble of the Dyns)...

Forum Regular

Thumbs down Connection types for audio ? Plus DVDA1US will play only 1 region

Hello.

I took a look on the official denon site and downloaded the operating manual.

FINALLY a universal player which plays each type of media (HD-DVD does not count as it's a discontinued format).

According to the operating manual on the official Denon site, the region codes of the discs MUST MATCH the player for blu ray AND DVD. So "Universal" in that sense is untrue.

That means I cannot buy any blu ray movies from the UK/US regions as I live in Australia. That kind of sucks. There's no real disadvantage from anyone in the UK or US as they would be able to obtain 95% of everything worthwhile getting.

Well if I'm going to spend 3.8 to 4K + on any "Universal" players, why would I even short list this player ? I am still restricted by region on my PS3. My 60 GB can play all those now, except dvd-audio (which I can live without).

Ok it doesn't have XLR outs, which leads me to my next question...

For 2-channel audio, would one connect their "Universal" player via the XLR outs or HDMI out ?

My new power amp has xlr ins (FINALLY put myself on the xlr map lol), however the next step is to upgrade my source.

I'm still not convinced of the DVDA1US unit as it does what it claims to say "It's universal in the sense that it can play each form of media - at least most of them", but there's no upscaler, upsampler, no DA converting.

As far as the manual is concerned, there are many menu and configurations available, but it's only marketing tool seems to be the universal playback.

Well looks like there's STILL no one out there who is capable of thinking outside of the box, and deliver a source which is of "high-end" as a Universal Player. XLR connectors
    alone is NOT the only feature to meet to be considered in the high end category.

No I don't consider the price tag necessarily as the indicator, but to be honest, I have never known Denon to be near the top brand in the world in the "high end" 2-channel market, and this player won't change that.

Well let's make it clear, I'm not expecting this player to be the one will will prevent me to get an upgrade later, however I have a DVD player which is completely region free, and I got it from a redemption. To buy this player is taking a serious step down in that regard. I have a great number of movies which are of another region, the Denon cannot play them.

Well Denon have some months to correct that if they wish to improve on their sales.

So there is still no universal blu ray player that is region free.

Quite a slack planet we live in. No one willing to take us to the next step of Audio technology.
    Current System :

Xindak XA8800MNE Mono Block Power Amplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840E Pre Amplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD Player and DAC
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MK-II
    Pioneer DVR-640H (250 GB HDD)
    Foxtel Digital
    Samsung LCD 40in LA40M81BDX
    Sony PS 3 (source - CD/SACD/DVD/Blu-Ray)
    XLO Interconnects & speaker cables
    Sonos Wireless Music System

Upgrade Path :

1. Power regulation system

Quote Originally Posted by OzzieAudiophile
    Hello.

Ok it doesn't have XLR outs, which leads me to my next question...

For 2-channel audio, would one connect their "Universal" player via the XLR outs or HDMI out ?
    If XLR connections are available, then it makes sense to use it. It supposedly reduces noise, RF interferences, etc. Although I don't hear excessive noise from my source components via RCA

I'm still not convinced of the DVDA1US unit as it does what it claims to say "It's universal in the sense that it can play each form of media - at least most of them", but there's no upscaler, upsampler, no DA converting.
    It utilizes one of the best for upconversion, the Silicon Optix Realta chip. As for DACs, I'm not sure. They've used Burr-Brown in the past...

No I don't consider the price tag necessarily as the indicator, but to be honest, I have never known Denon to be near the top brand in the world in the "high end" 2-channel market, and this player won't change that.
    Yes. Denon seems to fall into that category much like its peers (Sony, Pioneer, Yamaha). I never understood this, but imagine that part of might be due to the fact that they cater to people of all different income levels. Its not like a Levinson, or a Krell which only a select few can afford (used market excluded). There is no feeling of exclusivity. Somehow though, I don't think that the Denon A1UDCI will disappoint.

Check out this forum. There are proponents and opponents there.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1048326

The more economically sound solution would be the Oppo BDP-83. There is an Oppo owners thread in that forum as well. Check it out, if you haven't already.
    Last edited by frahengeo; 08-25-2009 at 12:03 PM.
    It's a disease, really.
    -----------------------------------
    Sony
    CDP-X77ES, CDP-X55ES, TA-N90ES, TA-E90ES, 333ESXII
    Denon
    AVP-A1HDCI, POA-A1HDCI, DVD-5910CI, DVD-2500BTCI
    Oppo
    BDP-83
    Sennheiser
    HD800
    Definitive Technology
    BP2000TL, C/L/R 3000, BPX, BP1X