Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Chet Baker-Trumpet
    Pepper Adams-Baritone Sax
    Herbie Mann-Flute
    Bill Evans-Piano
    Paul Chambers-Bass & Connie Kay-Drums
    (....ALONE TOGETHER....) DEC. 30 1958
    produced by...Orrin Keepnews...

I wanted to get some opinions on the amplifier, but the computer started acting up before I was able to finished posting... (I'm not really interested in buying it) but its been sometime since I have seen this price Amplifier from HK.
    Chet Baker-Trumpet
    Herbie Mann-Flute
    Bill Evans-Piano

Cool

Harmon is known for being realistic (or conservative, whichever you prefer) on their
    receivers, so its a good bet that this baby puts out a clean 150 wpc.
    Kinda pricey, and the first integrated I have seen in awhile that deviates from
    the clean, simple signal path, with extras like room EQ, dual sub plugs, etc.
    In other words it like someone built it for me!!! A friend had one of their stereo receivers
    and I used it for awhile, and loved it.
    WOULD PROBABLY LUV THIS IFFEN I could afford it.
    Didnt see anything about the DACS , but it has to have one. And allows for both MM and MC phono cartridges
    IF audiophile zombies can wake up from their tube mania , they just might find a true love here!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Forum Regular
    Hi Winston; integrated amplifiers have always fascinated me. I owned a few in my lifetime and most were quite good in their respected rights. HK has done something here that most other intergrated amps have not done on the market. That is to have 4 digital inputs. That allows you to use a dvd player as a transport whose analog sound might not be as good as its digital outputs. On the same token some dvd players output excellent sound out of their analogue outputs even if they are equipped with a digital output. Such was the case of my brothers Marantz cd changer. I did not go to look on the web at other details on the web but I think this thing should have pre-out and pre-in. I also like a loudness control. I think this should have been equipped with a good virtual mode such as Dolby Speaker for example.or some kind of propriatary virtual surround sound. If this sounds good on a pair of speakers, I would think it would be a very good buy in comparison to many more expensive integrateds on the market.

Forum Regular
    Pixel is right, this amp should have had a phono section. Vinyl lovers would certainly consider buying an amp of this power and welcome the convenience of it.

Ajani
    I have been following that product for over a year (when it was released in the UK)... It received very good reviews over there and I've waited to see it released in the US...

The problem for me is the price... It sells for 1000 GBP in the UK, approx 1600 USD... While it has just been released in the US for 2400 USD...

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by kelsci
    Pixel is right, this amp should have had a phono section. Vinyl lovers would certainly consider buying an amp of this power and welcome the convenience of it.
    Sorry but I SCREWED UP(have to lay of of the crack).
    This unit has accomodations for both MM and MC cartridges.
    I HAVE CORRECTED my post, and promise to read more carefully next time
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Suspended
    the other thing that HKs will do is drive 4 and 6ohm speakers even thought the manual states 8ohm. I can drive my Dynaudio 42s with no issues over long periods at high volumes. I also think that their power rating is conservative as opposed to overstated.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    I have been following that product for over a year (when it was released in the UK)... It received very good reviews over there and I've waited to see it released in the US...

The problem for me is the price... It sells for 1000 GBP in the UK, approx 1600 USD... While it has just been released in the US for 2400 USD...
    yes Ajani, you sure did!!
    Chet Baker-Trumpet
    Herbie Mann-Flute
    Bill Evans-Piano

Charm Thai™
    Exactly, far too much better competition in the integrated market at $2400 to even consider this unit.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHills44060
    Exactly, far too much better competition in the integrated market at $2400 to even consider this unit.
    At $1600 it would face serious competition from the likes of Naim, Musical Fidelity, Cambridge Audio and NAD, but it would clearly have the best features of the lot... At $2400 it faces genuine high-end integrated amps... So even though it may still have the best features, at that price I think many person would more likely opt for a Krell, Naim, etc...

So even though it may still have the best features, at that price I think many person would more likely opt for a Krell, Naim, etc...
    Or spend a bit more and get a "lightly used" Pass Labs INT-150.

rw

Suspended
    HK, has a great track record for stereo before HT became popular, and all that's under the Harmon umbrella I wouldn't disregard this amp without first a listen. It looks good on paper and HK's hook in the day was rating their receivers very conservatively.

Interesting I had a Kenwood KA-3300d in the 90's that was the first integrated amp I ever saw with a DAC built in. That idea sort of fell to HT and now with music servers etc. it seems will maybe make a come back.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    HK, has a great track record for stereo before HT became popular, and all that's under the Harmon umbrella I wouldn't disregard this amp without first a listen. It looks good on paper and HK's hook in the day was rating their receivers very conservatively.

Interesting I had a Kenwood KA-3300d in the 90's that was the first integrated amp I ever saw with a DAC built in. That idea sort of fell to HT and now with music servers etc. it seems will maybe make a come back.
    Yep... Even at the price it might still sound good, but I suspect many persons will dismiss it in favor of the (currently) more established competition...

And yes Integrated amps with built in DACs are making a comeback... There are actually a several available now (most are in the above $3K price range though)....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody

It make perfectly good sense to have a stereo integrated with AV receiver features such as a DAC. Also, as on this model, room EQ and sub outputs.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    It make perfectly good sense to have a stereo integrated with AV receiver features such as a DAC. Also, as on this model, room EQ and sub outputs.
    Yes it does, but you need to consider that the audiophile market is very different from the HT market... We audiophiles are a more "superstitious" lot, hence we are afraid that any extra feature will screw up the sound quality... Think about how much hatred tone controls get and then try to imagine adding room e.q., sub outputs and a built in DAC...

Charm Thai™
    Agreed. If I'm getting a stereo integrated the last thing I want is a bunch of AV garbage thrown in the same box. If I wanted all that stuff I'd get an AV processor or ditch the integrated and go with an AV receiver to start with.

We audiophiles are a more "superstitious" lot
    That's not the right word

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    That's not the right word
    lol... I know... But the right word is likely to be offensive...

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHills44060
    Agreed. If I'm getting a stereo integrated the last thing I want is a bunch of AV garbage thrown in the same box. If I wanted all that stuff I'd get an AV processor or ditch the integrated and go with an AV receiver to start with.
    Well, the only reason might be that you only need 2 channels of sound... But generally audiophiles want shortest, cleanest signal path... So all the extra bells and whistles are going to be a turn off for almost anyone who doesn't plan to use them...

Heck, I keep trying to find a passive pre with just one input and a remote....

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    the other thing that HKs will do is drive 4 and 6ohm speakers even thought the manual states 8ohm. I can drive my Dynaudio 42s with no issues over long periods at high volumes. I also think that their power rating is conservative as opposed to overstated.
    if IT FOLLOWS HARMON PRACTICE it probably is, they are always conservative on their specs.
    As for a simplified piece of gear, that is already out there.
    Some of these features might be nice. I was skeptical of room EQ, then I ran my
    AUDESSY on my Integra, the difference was amazing to say the least. IF THIS eq is decent it might be a help. MEANWHILE it always kills me that "audiophiles" talk about a clear signal path, then run their signal through a bunch of tube gear.
    I PREFER the approach taken by the likes of CAMBRIDGE, or those who just have a selector
    switch on a box for a preamp, but I CAN SEE a niche for this product.
    HARMON HAS put out some pretty decent gear in the past, but their standard two channel receiver sounds pretty good, and is a lot cheaper.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Or spend a bit more and get a "lightly used" Pass Labs INT-150.

rw
    Like this one:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....0-Integrated-A

That would be a good buy (though quite a bit more than the HK)...

Hi Winston.

...looking at your gallery, those floor standers look like Cantons Ergos 407. Are they?
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

frenchmon

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    ...looking at your gallery, those floor standers look like Cantons Ergos 407. Are they?
    Hi french, have you found the perfect amplifier as yet?....

"No those are the infinity's Beta-50's front, Beta-360 center, and the Beta-20's and 10's for the surr & rear.

but its funny you mentioned cantons Ergos, I was in Orlando last month at www.accesories4less.con they had them all on sale 50% off the (Karat's) was tempting to say the least. but my mission over there was to grab one of the Onkyo TX-NR807... and all I can say about that receiver is "WOW"

Respect man.
    Chet Baker-Trumpet
    Herbie Mann-Flute
    Bill Evans-Piano

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    There is always the Krell S300i for $2500.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information