Review of DirecTV 3D Channels

HDGURO.com did an evaluation of new DirecTV 3D channels:

(July 5, 2010) On July 1, DirecTV began broadcasting the first 24/7 3D channel in the USA with the launch of N3D, a DirecTV exclusive. Simultaneously, DirecTV debuted its all 3D “video on demand” (VOD) channel (available as downloads via the Internet) as well as the first linear pay per view 3D channel.

To make our evaluations we used two DirecTV DVRs, the HR22 and HR24, with one DVR connected to a Panasonic TC-P50VT25 50″ plasma 3D TV, another to a Samsung’s UN55C8000 LED 3D TV.

Today we cover four 3D programs. We graded each by 3D quality, with a letter grade of A (for excellent) to F (for failure), with explanations and comparisons (where needed) between the 3D image quality of the Samsung LED and Panasonic plasma.

Wild Safari: An South African Adventure

3D Quality D+

Content C

Wild Safari is a 3,000 mile journey through Africa for elephants, cape buffalo, rhinos, leopards and lions. Scenes appear to be shot with the 3D rig improperly configured or some other major technical problem. Regardless, the result is hard on the eyes and contains numerous segments with visible crosstalk (left eye information leaking to the right eye and vice versa seen as ghosts), on both 3D TVs. Stay away.

S.O.S Planet

3D Quality A-

Content C

Narrated by the late, great, Walter Cronkite, S.O.S. Planet is part live action and part animation. Cronkite lectures the audience, aided by some great 3D animated sequences including a mobile that zooms about 2 feet from your face. Virtually crosstalk free on the Panasonic, moderate crosstalk is visible on the Samsung in many of the computer generated sequences. With fish swimming in the middle of your room and an octopuses’ tentacle reaching out to you, adults and children will marvel at the 3D effects.

African Adventure: Safari in the Okavango

3D Quality F

Content C+

As with any new technology, people try to rush in to get on the ground floor. Safari in Okavango is poorly shot 3D, making viewing a strain, as ones eyes try to compensate for the discrepancies. The cause appears to be an incorrect setting of the 3D rig, such as the lenses of the two cameras being spaced too far apart (called interocular) for the subject to camera distance, or another major technical error.

Encounter In The Third Dimension

3D Quality B+

Content A

Combining live action with computer generated images Encounter In the Third Dimension mixes the history of 3D, with clips from 3D’s “Golden Era” (1952-1954), segments of 3D amusement park attractions and a nice 3D animated short. Classic clips include “Money From Home” with Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis, shot in Technicolor and three channel stereo, however the brief glimpse is in black and white.

The overall picture quality is very good, although the live action characters look somewhat flat. Note, the image appears to be improperly transferred with blacks appearing as gray, requiring the viewer to reduce the TV brightness control to its lowest setting on the Panasonic and to “7″ on the Samsung. Virtually no cross-talk appears on the Panasonic and infrequently on the Samsung, which makes Encounter In The Third Dimension an ideal choice to show off your new 3D TV to friends and family.

http://hdguru.com/directvs-new-3d-ch...t-review/2008/

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    So as you can see (and despite twistedpix's proclamations), Plasma is really better at handling 3D than current LCD's are. That is not to say the Samsung is a slouch, but that Panny's implementation is just better at this point.

I just ordered a 65" Panasonic 3D plasma(the TC P65V10). Just to see how far prices have dropped, I am paying only $2600 for it. I am going to order two more for my studio as well at those prices.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    So as you can see (and despite twistedpix's proclamations), Plasma is really better at handling 3D than current LCD's are. That is not to say the Samsung is a slouch, but that Panny's implementation is just better at this point.
    Interesting observation. So are you saing that lack of cross talk in Panasonic was because it is a Plasma?

Thanks.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Interesting observation. So are you saing that lack of cross talk in Panasonic was because it is a Plasma?

Thanks.
    PLASMA FANBOY would say that.
    ACTUALLY I never said anything about plasma and its 3d abilities.
    NOTHING COULD BE LESS IMPORTANT.
    Maybe this crappy form factor and this twice crappy "format" will both die at the same time.
    THEY CERTAINLY DESERVE EACH OTHER.
    So talky has a plasma 3d SET.
    What he needs is some 3D personality
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Review of DirecTV 3D Channels-.jpg  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar

Thanks.
    No, it was not because its plasma, it is the way Panasonic implemented it's 3D circutry. One thing I can say about Plasma, it's 3D picture is just a bit "richer" than the LCD.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    PLASMA FANBOY would say that.
    As you can see from Sir TT response, he did not. He said it was 3D circuitry.

ACTUALLY I never said anything about plasma and its 3d abilities.
    NOTHING COULD BE LESS IMPORTANT.
    Maybe this crappy form factor and this twice crappy "format" will both die at the same time.
    THEY CERTAINLY DESERVE EACH OTHER.
    So talky has a plasma 3d SET.
    What he needs is some 3D personality
    Pix, I wish you address your post's hard return carriage between your sentences. It make it hard to read, and look tacky.

Your post should look like this:

"PLASMA FANBOY would say that. ACTUALLY I never said anything about plasma and its 3d abilities. NOTHING COULD BE LESS IMPORTANT.

Maybe this crappy form factor and this twice crappy "format" will both die at the same time. THEY CERTAINLY DESERVE EACH OTHER. So talky has a plasma 3d SET. What he needs is some 3D personality."

Use back space to join your sentences together. Then maybe I read it

Cool

As you can see from Sir TT response, he did not. He said it was 3D circuitry.

Pix, I wish you address your post's hard return carriage between your sentences. It make it hard to read, and look tacky.

Your post should look like this:

"PLASMA FANBOY would say that. ACTUALLY I never said anything about plasma and its 3d abilities. NOTHING COULD BE LESS IMPORTANT.

Maybe this crappy form factor and this twice crappy "format" will both die at the same time. THEY CERTAINLY DESERVE EACH OTHER. So talky has a plasma 3d SET. What he needs is some 3D personality."

Use back space to join your sentences together. Then maybe I read it
    I
    will
    think
    about
    it
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT