HBO to Launch Web-Only Service in 2015

Looks like HBO plans to offer a streaming service next year that is not tied to a cable subscription.

HBO CEO Richard Plepler said that 10 million homes (presumably in the US) have broadband Internet access but no cable, saying:

"That is a large and growing opportunity that should no longer be left untapped. It is time to remove all barriers to those who want HBO. So, in 2015, we will launch a stand-alone, over-the-top, HBO service in the United States. We will work with our current partners. And, we will explore models with new partners. All in, there are 80 million homes that do not have HBO, and we will use all means at our disposal to go after them."
    Pricing have not being set, but if this succeed, it could open the flood gate for other cable channels to offer web only subscription.

» The Center Cannot Hold

This seems to be USA only at this time. Looks like others will be taking on Netflix too. Here in Canada, Rogers, a major ISP, is offering such a service.

I'm a Netflix subscriber, i.e. to the truncated Canadian version of Netflix. I won't be rushing to switch to or even try any other service 'till I hear some reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    I'm a Netflix subscriber, i.e. to the truncated Canadian version of Netflix. I won't be rushing to switch to or even try any other service 'till I hear some reviews.
    Other streaming services probably will have a hard time competing with Netflix as far as subcription price and selections are concerned. HBO migh have enough clout to sign up with film studios for exclusive movie streamings rights that leave Netflix out, but it will be hard to match their subcription price.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Other streaming services probably will have a hard time competing with Netflix as far as subcription price and selections are concerned. HBO migh have enough clout to sign up with film studios for exclusive movie streamings rights that leave Netflix out, but it will be hard to match their subcription price.
    Yep, we've got to watch what we're being offered. Prices seem roughly the same as Netflix, but what about the selection?

Here in Canada matching Netflix wouldn't be so hard, me thinks, given how much crappier our selection is than State-side.

Thread Information