CD is still the king

Physical CD isn't going anywhere, at least not in 2012. According to year-2011 breakdowns just shared by Nielsen Soundscan, more than two-thirds of all albums purchased in the US were physical CDs. Out of a total of 330.6 million albums sold during the year - across all configurations - a healthy 223.5 million were discs, or 67.6 percent.

That follows an even more extreme breakdown from the UK. Just a few days ago, label group BPI revealed that 76.1 percent of all albums purchased last year were CDs.

Back in the US, album unit sales edged slightly upward on the year, specifically by 1.3 percent. CDs themselves slumped 5.7 percent, while digital albums gained a healthy 19.5 percent to reach a record 103.1 million units. Vinyl gained 36.3 percent to nearly 4 million units.

Digital Music News - Two-Thirds of All Albums Purchased In the US Are Still CDs...

Up here in Vancouver, BC, traditionally the best places to buy CD's are HMV, FutureShop and Best Buy. I probably purchase 10-20 CD's a year.

But HMV is now closing down, and both FutureShop and Best Buy CD selections are getting smaller and smaller every quarter. I'd anticipate they won't be selling any more CD's by 2013.

I really believe 2012 will be the end of CD unfortunately. But thankfully I'm seeing more and more releases on vinyl, so it's not all bad news

Probably the only places to buy music in the future will be at small independent retailers. And DVD and Blu-Ray I think will be gone by 2015, replaced entirely by streaming media like Netflix, and downloads.

cheers,
    elapsed
    Fidelity Acoustics RFM-2 speakers
    Naim CD5x cd player
    Naim NAC 122x pre-amp
    Naim NAP 150x poweramp
    Naim FlatCap-2x power supply
    Naim Stageline N phono stage
    Naim NACA5 speaker cabling
    Naim Hi-Line interconnect
    Chord Crimson interconnects
    Rega Planar 3 turntable
    Goldring 1042 cartridge
    Squeezebox 3
    Oppo DV-983H dvd player
    Harmony 890 remote
    Quadraspire Q4 shelving
    Wiremold L10320 power strip

System Picture #1 | System Picture #2 | System Design

Quote Originally Posted by elapsed View Post
    I really believe 2012 will be the end of CD unfortunately.
    I believe CD will be with us for while despite declining sales and growing digital sales. Maybe after digital albums outsell CDs as a whole we might see the shift of music industry away from physical format, but I would give it couple of more years.

Ajani
    Interestingly enough, CNN's report says the opposite (That digital sales have finally surpassed CDs):

Digital music sales top physical sales - Jan. 5, 2012

This topic is deceptive because it ignores the primary form of digital music sales -- individual song downloads. My understanding is that the revenue split between CDs and digital downloads is reaching parity, depending on whose estimate and what measures you look at.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani View Post
    Interestingly enough, CNN's report says the opposite (That digital sales have finally surpassed CDs):

Digital music sales top physical sales - Jan. 5, 2012
    Only in digital domain

Quote Originally Posted by Wooch
    My understanding is that the revenue split between CDs and digital downloads is reaching parity, depending on whose estimate and what measures you look at.
    To keep physical format floating, I'm puzzled as why music industry have not fully embraced high resolution format Bluray as BD players are becoming as common as DVD player in homes. Or maybe I shouldn't be puzzled after lookin at past history of music industry shooting itself in the leg when it comes to piracy and embracing high resolution formats.
    Last edited by Smokey; 01-12-2012 at 10:30 PM.

Suspended
    Even at parity will music companies just forgo that income?

If CD goes it will be very strange for me as I am old fashion and still using discs, including LP. I buy most of my CD's via Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Even at parity will music companies just forgo that income?
    I say probably not. If there is market for it, physical format (in one form or other) will still exist. The down side to that scenario is that as market share in a format decreases, so does the selections.

Quote Originally Posted by elapsed View Post
    Up here in Vancouver, BC, traditionally the best places to buy CD's are HMV, FutureShop and Best Buy. I probably purchase 10-20 CD's a year.

But HMV is now closing down, and both FutureShop and Best Buy CD selections are getting smaller and smaller every quarter. I'd anticipate they won't be selling any more CD's by 2013.

I really believe 2012 will be the end of CD unfortunately. But thankfully I'm seeing more and more releases on vinyl, so it's not all bad news

Probably the only places to buy music in the future will be at small independent retailers. And DVD and Blu-Ray I think will be gone by 2015, replaced entirely by streaming media like Netflix, and downloads.

cheers,
    elapsed
    You will be able to buy CDs from more than just small independents. Online is the future (and present pretty much) for CDs. Amazon, Elusive Disc, Acoustic Sounds, etc. HMV could have been more of a player if they would have built an online store. It's hard to believe in 2012 you can't purchase online from hmv.ca.

Like Woochifer said though, the topic is a little misleading. You have to compare CD sales to song downloads, not album downloads. I'm certain that most people don't bother downloading entire albums and just stick to the songs they know they like. Music will be poorer for it as artists inevitable stop making albums and instead release individual songs or just a handful of songs. Come to think of it, maybe that won't be so bad as I find most albums come with a good helping of filler.
    Naim Nait 5i
    Naim CD5X
    Wharfedale Evo2-10
    Linn LP12
    Cambridge Audio 650P, and 550T
    LFD and Nordost cables

I have to wonder about that article too, a single song vs an "album", just doesn't compute.
    Bob

Thread Information