AR Newbie Registered Member

Smile Yamaha receiver and Zone 2 question

I am about to buy an RXV 757 and am wondering if it can do what I had planned. The plan is to have the unit in the den supplying power to 5 speakers in a typical surround system. I would like to send audio to zone 2 which is in ceiling speakers in two other rooms. The zone 2 speakers are tied together with speaker volume/impedenance matching controls. It appears using zone 2 for the in ceiling speakers would be safest as we wouldn't have impedance problems if we wanted to listen to music in both locations (den and in ceiling). The product manual saying 16 ohm speakers are required when you play speaker a and b. Is there a better way to do this? Can I send the same source audio to both areas?

What about using the den surrounds with the in ceiling speakers when I way to play background music?. So I would have the surrounds doing double duty.....acting as surrounds for 5.1 audio and also part of the in ceiling house speaker system.

If the switch is on the left side A/B is 8ohm or higher.The switch on right side A/B is 16ohm. (sorry was'nt looking at zone 2)
    Last edited by PAT.P; 10-18-2005 at 09:28 AM.

Pat,
    I am not following you. The 'switch on the left side of a/b ? Do you mean the speakers on A need to be 8 and on b need to be 16?

What about my plan to run 3 pairs off the zone 2. Assuming they are properly impedance matched....any problems?

The Zone 2 output on the RX-V757 does NOT go out through the A/B speaker connections. The back panel has an assignable presence/Zone 2 output that's driven by a separate circuit. The 16 ohm impedance applies only if you have BOTH the A and B speaker outputs connected AND switch them on simultaneously. When connected to the Zone 2 output, I'm sure you'll be fine running a 5.1 setup and ONE pair of ceiling speakers simultaneously so long as all of the speakers have a nominal impedance of 8 ohms. (Using the main B speaker outputs means that you will only hear the L/R output from whatever the 5.1 setup is playing)

Why would you want to run THREE pairs of speakers off of the Zone 2 output? THAT would be a big problem if you wire them all together, because the receiver will likely not be able to handle that kind of a load. If you really need that many speakers, then you should run the Zone 2 output as a premain output and connect it to another ampifier that would be used to drive the ceiling speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    The Zone 2 output on the RX-V757 does NOT go out through the A/B speaker connections. The back panel has an assignable presence/Zone 2 output that's driven by a separate circuit. The 16 ohm impedance applies only if you have BOTH the A and B speaker outputs connected AND switch them on simultaneously. When connected to the Zone 2 output, I'm sure you'll be fine running a 5.1 setup and ONE pair of ceiling speakers simultaneously so long as all of the speakers have a nominal impedance of 8 ohms. (Using the main B speaker outputs means that you will only hear the L/R output from whatever the 5.1 setup is playing)

Why would you want to run THREE pairs of speakers off of the Zone 2 output? THAT would be a big problem if you wire them all together, because the receiver will likely not be able to handle that kind of a load. If you really need that many speakers, then you should run the Zone 2 output as a premain output and connect it to another ampifier that would be used to drive the ceiling speakers.
    Thanks. I am aware of the 16 ohm requirement if both A and B are selected. That certainly is a problem since most speakers today are 4 to 8 ohms. That is why I was going the zone 2 route. I thought with the speaker impedance matching volume control that would prevent an overload when 2 or three pairs were played. Since these are just background sound speakers they wouldn't be pulling too much load. Another amp would solve the problem but it just adds another completity for the family.

Quote Originally Posted by newz54
    Thanks. I am aware of the 16 ohm requirement if both A and B are selected. That certainly is a problem since most speakers today are 4 to 8 ohms. That is why I was going the zone 2 route. I thought with the speaker impedance matching volume control that would prevent an overload when 2 or three pairs were played. Since these are just background sound speakers they wouldn't be pulling too much load. Another amp would solve the problem but it just adds another completity for the family.
    You could add a line transformer from zone 2 ,then a speaker transformer to each speaker.

Thread Information