AR Newbie Registered Member

Yamaha hook-up? problem

I just purchased a used Yamaha DSV 1400. I tried to hook this contraption up this evening and am going nuts. I used the component video cables from my DVD and my satellite box to this receiver. I ran composite to my Toshiba HDTV. I hooked up the sound with the optical cables. It works. My video is just a series of "squiggley" red, green and blue stuff. It kinda looks like the horizontal oscillator thing that used to go on. It is a very weak RGB signal and I can't get any picture at all. Is there something that I am missing, or is there some set-up thingy that I'm not doing right? I did the "reset to factory" song and dance and it made no difference. I get a good picture if I run the cables from the DVD and satellite straight to the TV component inputs. The Yamaha only has three component hook-ups on the back. DVD, DTV and Monitor out. Whassup gentlemen. Any Ideas?
    I can't even get the "on screen display" to come on the TV. Cables are good.

You need to connect the Monitor out component to your HDTV instead of connecting it with a composite connection. If this in fact is what you have already done and your cables are alright as you said, then maybe there is something wrong with the outputs on the AVR. Maybe just one of the jacks is bad causing the strange picture. The picture you are describing sounds something like what I have seen when I don't have all the component cables connected.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Onkyo TX-SR606
    PS3 Bluray
    Denon DVD-1920
    Panasonic TH-50PZ80U Plasma
    HR21 HD DVR
    Paradigm Esprit (front), Focus (rear), CC270 (center)

2 - 15" Dayton HF subwoofers
    Two Soundstream M1 monoblock amps for the subwoofer

AR Maniac
    Composite and component are 2 different worlds. I do not have component hookups on my AMP so I bypass and go directly to my TV with component.
    In order to not have ot have my AMP on for all median I hook up anolog audio to my TV for the different video inputs... This way I can watch TV with or without the AMP being on.
    Pioneer CLDM301LDP
    Mits HSU510 hifi VCR
    Pioneer DV563A DVDP
    Sony HD SAT Receiver
    Polk RT 16 main spks
    BIC center channel
    Klipsch Synergy S3 surround
    Samsung DVD Recorder DVD -R120
    KLH 120 Subwoofer
    Monster cabling all around

Thread Information