Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    ride a jet ski Tarheel_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    661

    worth a move from 720 to 1080

    I should receive a 1k bonus at work in Nov. and since i've been watching blu-rays lately i'm wondering if I should use the money to upgrade my projector.

    -current projector: Mits 720p with over the limit hours...i've reset the bulb life counter....has something like 1800-2000 hours
    -screen: 115"
    -sitting position: about 13'
    -room: basement with very little/no light
    -viewing: (probably 50/50 sports/movies)
    movies: 85% DVDs/15% Blu-Rays
    -highest connector type: HDMI direct from source

    I've never seen a 1080p projector in action so i'm not sure if the upgrade is worth the cost.

    any input?

  2. #2
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    I should receive a 1k bonus at work in Nov. and since i've been watching blu-rays lately i'm wondering if I should use the money to upgrade my projector.

    -current projector: Mits 720p with over the limit hours...i've reset the bulb life counter....has something like 1800-2000 hours
    -screen: 115"
    -sitting position: about 13'
    -room: basement with very little/no light
    -viewing: (probably 50/50 sports/movies)
    movies: 85% DVDs/15% Blu-Rays
    -highest connector type: HDMI direct from source

    I've never seen a 1080p projector in action so i'm not sure if the upgrade is worth the cost.

    any input?
    At that size and distance you should see a difference. I would upgrade if it was in my budget, and I only have a 106" screen at 18'. Check with Kex. He picked up an Epson 1080p projector a while back.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  3. #3
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    I did read something about new models coming out in the next week or two. Might be worth waiting.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  4. #4
    ride a jet ski Tarheel_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    661
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I did read something about new models coming out in the next week or two. Might be worth waiting.

    ahhh, i was wondering about the new models...maybe the current ones will get a big discount just in time for Nov!

  5. #5
    Forum Regular audio amateur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,524
    Im considering a projector too. I'm looking at a 70" screen, and will be playing a lot of standard definition. My reasoning is that standard def will look better on a 720p. So given that, and the screen size, is 1080p really worth it? (Not to forget the 720p im looking at is a bit cheaper than the 1080p).

  6. #6
    ride a jet ski Tarheel_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    661
    i've had a 720p projector for years and always find the pictures wonderful and full of detail and depth. Most HD channels on Directv are in 720p so i don't feel like i'm losing much.

    At your screen size and with a lot of SD viewing, i think your on the right trail. Save the cash.

    For what it's worth, i have the Mitsubishi HD1000 and love it! No issues and the bulb is concealed so there is no filter to clean. It just throws a beautiful image without fuss.

  7. #7
    Forum Regular audio amateur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,524
    Thanks for your input, Tarheel.

    Im looking at the Optoma HD67 (720p) vs. Optoma HD20 (1080p).
    Any more opinions (from anyone)?

  8. #8
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    Im considering a projector too. I'm looking at a 70" screen, and will be playing a lot of standard definition. My reasoning is that standard def will look better on a 720p. So given that, and the screen size, is 1080p really worth it? (Not to forget the 720p im looking at is a bit cheaper than the 1080p).
    My 720p looks very nice to me, but it does depend on viewing distance as well as size. Then again, if you are viewing std def, then it won't matter at all.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  9. #9
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,826
    The problem with going 720p on the projector(or display) is that you have no upgrade path when you begin viewing more 1080p material.

    I would go with 1080p myself for just that reason.
    Sir Terrence

    Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

  10. #10
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    Thanks for your input, Tarheel.

    Im looking at the Optoma HD67 (720p) vs. Optoma HD20 (1080p).
    Any more opinions (from anyone)?
    Get 1080p.
    WHY BE OBSOLETE straight outta the box? The single biggest improvement I HAVE MADE
    in the last two years was going to 1080p. The difference is very visible.
    WITH 720P you are wasting your time, basically,(IMHO)
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  11. #11
    ride a jet ski Tarheel_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    661
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    The problem with going 720p on the projector(or display) is that you have no upgrade path when you begin viewing more 1080p material.

    I would go with 1080p myself for just that reason.
    yeah, i can see your point (this is where I am), however, with high replacement bulb prices and cheap online prices for new projectors you should look at a projector purchase over the life of the bulb.

    Meaning, if your new projector has a 2000 hour bulb life and you watch 20 hours/week, then your bulb is reaching the limit in 100 weeks. In less than 2 years, you either choose to purchase a new replacement bulb ($3-400) or get a new 1080p projector.

    So, my suggestion..if you plan to watch mainly SD and DVDs over the next 2 years, then get the 720p and save the money. Once the bulb expires, then sell the projector and upgrade to 1080p. In 2 years the 1080p projectors will be at the 720p price anyway.

  12. #12
    Forum Regular audio amateur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,524
    Very true. I think I will still go for the 1080p because of what you guys are saying, and also because the HD20 has slightly better contrast. I'm just worried what standard def will look like on it...

  13. #13
    ride a jet ski Tarheel_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    661
    Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    Very true. I think I will still go for the 1080p because of what you guys are saying, and also because the HD20 has slightly better contrast. I'm just worried what standard def will look like on it...
    Either way, once you have a large screen/projector...i'm sure you will want to go HD. Trust me, I used my projector for over a year and then got the HD package from Directv and...well, there are no comparisons.

    good luck and let us know the outcome.

  14. #14
    Forum Regular audio amateur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,524
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    Either way, once you have a large screen/projector...i'm sure you will want to go HD. Trust me, I used my projector for over a year and then got the HD package from Directv and...well, there are no comparisons.

    good luck and let us know the outcome.
    Will do

  15. #15
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    Very true. I think I will still go for the 1080p because of what you guys are saying, and also because the HD20 has slightly better contrast. I'm just worried what standard def will look like on it...
    It won't be long before 1080p is the std def IMO.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  16. #16
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,826
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    It won't be long before 1080p is the std def IMO.
    It will be a while before we progress beyond 1080p for many reasons. One being that post production and compression houses do not have the necessary financial means to upgrade their entire processes for anything beyond 1080p. It costs too much money to do it when the economy is in the shape it is in.
    Sir Terrence

    Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

  17. #17
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    It will be a while before we progress beyond 1080p for many reasons. One being that post production and compression houses do not have the necessary financial means to upgrade their entire processes for anything beyond 1080p. It costs too much money to do it when the economy is in the shape it is in.
    What I mean is that it won't be long before 1080p becomes the standard.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  18. #18
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    What I mean is that it won't be long before 1080p becomes the standard.
    It already is. GET WITH IT.
    Really neeet to see how things evolve, 1080i was going to be the broadcast standard, still is,
    but any 1080p set can deinterlace that pic for true 1080p, and then theres' BLU ray...
    I bought 720p when a 37" 720p was a thousand bucks...AND REGRETTED IT.
    GO 1080P.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  19. #19
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Home Of The Fighting Gamecocks
    Posts
    1,702
    Black Friday deals will be so good this year you'll be able to pick up flat screens for peanuts. There's currently a glut on the market as manufactures over produced and they will be unloading them like crazy this holiday season. My relative is an HT distributor and he's seen everything out there and says the 720p plasmas offer the best combination of value and performance. He says it's really tough to see the difference between a good 720p plasma and the top shelf LCD/LED 1080p's.

  20. #20
    Forum Regular audio amateur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,524
    Ain't no such thing here

    Will be picking up the projector this w-e hopefully...

  21. #21
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    Ain't no such thing here

    Will be picking up the projector this w-e hopefully...
    GET THE Runco LED model, fourteen grand.
    And on your way home, stop by Chechnya and pick up a six pack of black market
    shipping containers(never know whats in one of those).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •