Forum Regular

Will HD Broadcasts be OK on Standard Size large screen HD ready set?

Appologize for beating a dead horse, but apparently there are some (albeit off the market) standard size large screen TV's that are HD ready such as the 50" Mitsubishi HD Upgradeable VS-50111 pictured below. What I'm totally confused about, and maybe this is what people have been trying to tell me is: 1. If a TV show is broadcast on HD (say via my cable company if it makes the slightest difference) will this fill this type of TV screen with the full HD effect and no distortion or do I in fact need a "widescreen" setup, 2. If I play a nonletter box DVD will the movie have the full HD effect without distortion on this type of TV? Any help is appreciated and appologize if I've exacerbated your patience.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Will HD Broadcasts be OK on Standard Size large screen HD ready set?-50111.jpg  

Forum Regular
    Check my reply to your other thread.

Forum Regular
    Simple answer:

1) HD is broadcast in widescreen You can make it fit on a 4:3, but not without distortion.

2) You would buy widescreen DVD's if you have a widescreen TV. This will fill your set. with no black bars. Certain DVD's will have to be "zoomed" to fill the entire picture due to the way they are shot, HOWEVER, this would be no different than watching a "full screen" DVD on a 4:3 TV, as they are zoomed too (i.e. you are missing some of the picture).

Bottom line, buy a widescreen TV if you want to take advantage of HD. That being said, there will be many normal programs which you will have to distort because they are not broadcast in HD. Given what you have said in your previous posts, do not upgrade at this time. There is not enough HD materal (outside of DVD's) to make the switch worth while. Wait until they increase the programming.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by brulaha
    Simple answer:

1) HD is broadcast in widescreen You can make it fit on a 4:3, but not without distortion.
    That is an incorrect. If interested, check Hershon's other thread.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by sy_lu
    That is an incorrect. If interested, check Hershon's other thread.
    Maybe I mispoke. You do have to zoom, correct?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by brulaha
    Maybe I mispoke. You do have to zoom, correct?
    Yes. On the model in question, you can zoom without distortion. Actully, it is more crop them zoon in 1080i mode. In 480i or 480p modes, there are zoom. What is great about it is I can switch to any modes at any time I feel like it. To me crop at left/right sides on 16:9 on 4:3 set is far better than crop at top and bottom when using a 16:9 set to disply 4:3. As for letter box, I also find top and bottom bars on the 4:3 set more acceptable than 16:9's bars on left/right for 4:3 if not cropped or stretched.

Forum Regular

Sy Lu a few more clarifications if you don't mind

As I may wind up getting the Mitsubishi if I can get a good price, could you please tell me based on your experience with your larger set:

1. Do you always have to "zoom" when watching HDTV broadcasts? If so, is the picture still 100% HD and much better than a normal broadcast and as far as you can tell there is no visible distortion?

2. When watching a normal sized (not letterboxed) DVD can you watch it on 4:3 and still get the full HD effect and you don't have to use any special control & there is no distortion.

3. Are the normal 4:3 cable non HTD Broadcasts excellent on this system?

Forum Regular
    1. You don't have to zoom to watch HD (1080i). In normal mode, you have the letter box bars on top and bottom. In zoom mode, the left/right sides are cropped and the screen is filled. As I had mentioned, it is more of "cropped" mode than "zoom". It has the same number of lines horizontally as 16:9 set. I use a Zenith HDTV tuner box for over the air broadcasts. Image is very sharp in both normal and zoom modes. My friend has a Toshiba 16:9 set and the same tuner. Without any seriouse comparison, I think my Mitsubishi actually feels sharper. At any rate, the HDTV at 1080i is far better than DVD.

2. Regular DVD is 480p with a porgressive player. A 16:9 disc will show up as letter box or if you prefer, to zoom to full frame 4:3 (again, assume the movie itself is not wider than 16:9). They are as good as DVD can be but since the DVD itself is only 480p, they are not as good as 1080i broadcast. You need to get D-VHS or wait for HD-DVD to get full HD effect.

3. For regular 480i video (tv, vhs etc), the TV will up convert the signal to 480p. It is far better than watch on regular tv.

bite your tongue BRULAHA, HDTV is moving up in leap and bounds, I got my HD receiver last Dec and only had ABC, PBS & NBC, now I have CBS FOX & ESPN along with the others and I couldn't be happier. Getting a wide screen now is the best thing anyone should be doing now if their in the market to buy. Why waste the money on a 4:3 When most DVD's and all HD programing is in HD format/widescreen. Even block buster had to change is store stock to keep up with the demand from customers that wanted widescreen DVD's.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Forum Regular
    Recoverone:

I don't think you understood what I was saying. Please reread the thread. However, in reply to what you said, it may be moving in the right direction, but six channels is hardly enough for me. I have an HDTV, but until they broadcast more than 30 channels (not premium ones like HBO, but regular cable), I'll relegate myself to standard cable TV. The improved quality doesn't do that much for me, at least not price/value. Just one mans opinion.

IMHO, and I agree to you having yours, but the cost is not that great. I went from $52.00 a month to $62.00 to add the Digital & HD channels, Thats not much of a cost increase and I don't have the HBO/showtime....etc. I get over 200 channels to include 15 music ones along with the 6 HD channels all broadcast in digital stereo/ digital stereo surround or DD5.1. I'm not promoting my cable company, cuz I hate them, but they have stepped up to the plate on this one. Now if your not a sports fan then maybe not the 6 channels will do. I've been waiting 3 years (since I brought my Mits) to watch NFL, Golf and auto racing in HD. And if like the nature stuff watch PBS, the picture is jaw dropping. CBS is 1080i NBC 1080i and PBS, but FOX, ABC and ESPN is 720. CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX is 5.1 PBS & ESPN is stereo surround. The Olyimpics were great to watch even though they broadcast old events (nightbefore) in HD and use the regular NBC for the live telecast.
    But for anyone to buy a 4:3 T.V. today (Big Screen) is a waste.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Thread Information