Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Regular
    Oh, you mentioned vinyl as well. Do you prefer vinyl to CDs? I think you can't beat recordings from the 70s on vinyl, though you can get very analogue sounding CD players like Vincent CD-S6 MKII, it's still not the same..

I will simply add the answer that I've always given to questions like this one.

Don't bother with equipment upgrades until you've optimized what you already have. That means, properly positioning your speakers, using a SPL meter to level match all of the channels, using a calibration disc to properly set the levels on your TV, etc.

From my perspective, the biggest improvement that you can make is with the room acoustics. That means controlling the slap echo and reverb with room treatments. Also, if you use a subwoofer, the single biggest improvement you can make is using a parametric equalizer to reduce any room-induced boominess. (do a keyword search for the Behringer Feedback Destroyer for past threads on this topic)

Those are all much more cost effective ways of improving your sound quality. IMO, source component and amplification upgrades should only be done after you've addressed those other issues first.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Don't bother with equipment upgrades until you've optimized what you already have. IMO, source component and amplification upgrades should only be done after you've addressed those other issues first.
    Well said Wooch. He's right klif...

Quote Originally Posted by klif570
    Oh, you mentioned vinyl as well. Do you prefer vinyl to CDs? I think you can't beat recordings from the 70s on vinyl, though you can get very analogue sounding CD players like Vincent CD-S6 MKII, it's still not the same..
    Indeed I do prefer vinyl. There's some great LP's being pressed nowadays as well klif. Also, great re-issues of all your faves.

There's not one CDP I have mentioned to you that doesn't have that analog type vibe. The Arcam Alpha 5 being the granddaddy of em all. That's how my ears like to hear it. You're right, when you get down to it, it's not the same.

I just fit my table with a high output moving coil cartridge (HOMC). It's a Sumiko Blue Point. To be perfectly honest, I've never experienced music like I have with the Sumiko. If I was a more emotional man, I'm sure I may have been moved to tears at a couple of points. I can only imagine how amazing the TOTL table/cart must sound.

Forum Regular
    Hi Poppa, what you spinning today? Pink Floyd Wall and Kraftwerk Tour De France here, the latter I always use to test low frequencies. Audiophile quality from their famous Kling Klang studio.

Anyway, I've got myself a little upgrade so just wanted to update this thread. I replaced my Onkyo with a newer Denon 1740. It was time to upgrade it to something with HD anyway.

Next on the list is a dedicated CD player, whenever I can find one. I will probably wait till I find the Arcam 5 or Arcam 7. I guess they never made Arcam 6 though?

A bit on the new DVD player. The only thing I don't like about it is that the loading mechanism is a bit louder than my Onkyo. Sound quality is slightly better, the soundstage appears to be a bit wider as well.

Also, I connected it to my amp with Chord Calypso phono cables to test the inbuilt dacs in the DVD player vs the dacs in my amplifier. Really hard to say which ones I prefer more - they sound different, but I like both. The amplifier gives me a crispier sound with more treble. The DVD player gives out a punchier bass but somewhat lacks in treble. I can easily compensate this with the treble adjustment on my amplifier though.

What is quite hard to believe is that I've seen the dvd-1740 selling for $99 in America, and here it's £199. Convert that to dollars and it's above $300..

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by klif570
    Hi Poppa, what you spinning today? .
    Aretha - Live at the Filmore West
    Clifford Brown / Max Roach - Pure Genius Vol.1

Not feeling so hot today, called into work. Glad you're having fun with your gear. I am in a phase of no tinkering, just listening, and I love it. I have a couple of things to upgrade but I'm in no rush.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information