Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Welcome me to the 1990's!

Well I finally did it, I purchased my first DVD Player. I figured I'd wait out a full 15 years for the technology to reach perfection before I jumped the gun (right, right). I'm now the pround owner of the venerable Oppo 983. Seriously, this is my very first DVD player. Now I had high expectations for this player, after all its the only player ever to score 100/100 on the Secrets DVD benchmark, scoring even higher than the reference Denon 5910 ($3,800), the king of DVD players.

Now don't get me wrong, my friends think I'm insane to drop $399 on an upconverting DVD Player now that Blu-Ray has won the war (though a number of my friends do own the Oppo 981), but my thoughts are..

1. The 983 offers superior DVD playback to any Blu-Ray player on the market
    2. Blu-Ray titles are still ridiculously expensive, however I can now pickup DVD titles for $6-$10 at my local retailers
    3. There are multitudes more DVD titles available for purchase, including all of my old favorites
    4. I honestly don't think Blu-Ray will survive as a format for a few reason.. a) 90% of American households own DVD players, b) HD resolution is only really beneficial for households with 46" and larger sets, I have only a 37" set c) I foresee Blu-Ray being replaced in a few years with on-demand technologies, d) now that the PS3 has stablized in the marketplace, there has been little to no growth for Blu-Ray, e) consumers have been hit too many times with dead formats in the past 30 years, from 8-track to cassette to beta to laserdisk to SACD and DVD-Audio, so they are now wary to invest in any new format, and finally, g) i have concerns with the DRM in these new formats, i refuse to let the studio's have any say in how i use my own private, personal property

Needless to say, I fired up the 983, connected her to my Sharp Aquos D62.. and wow. Looked like s**t. I was shocked, I couldn't believe how awful this player was, especially considering this significant of an investment into a DVD player late in the game.

I had a bite to eat, fumed for a bit, then went to pick up the manual to see how I could tweak her. This is when I came across the little HDMI button on my remote. Well its no wonder the player was looking like s**t, the player defaults to 480i, so my Sharp was doing the upconversion to 1080p. I quickly rectified this by setting the player to 1080p.

Holy hell, I couldn't believe what I was now seeing, this is easily the finest DVD playback I have ever seen. Stunning picture quality, very film like, smooth like you wouldn't believe. I'm simply shocked that this tiny little player can deliver this level of quality. VRS video processing by Anchor Bay is exceptional, better even than Silicon Optix HQV used in the Denon players (which is no surprise, I've always been a huge fan of Anchor Bay's DVDO outboard video processors).

On top of this, the Oppo manual is superbly written, the packaging was excellent, there are regular firmware upgrades for the player, Oppo offers a 30-day money back guarantee, it's a simple process to make her region free, analogue audio playback is very good, and I now have an SACD and DVD-Audio Player.

Highly recommend. Welcome me to the 90's.

cheers,
    elapsed
    Fidelity Acoustics RFM-2 speakers
    Naim CD5x cd player
    Naim NAC 122x pre-amp
    Naim NAP 150x poweramp
    Naim FlatCap-2x power supply
    Naim Stageline N phono stage
    Naim NACA5 speaker cabling
    Naim Hi-Line interconnect
    Chord Crimson interconnects
    Rega Planar 3 turntable
    Goldring 1042 cartridge
    Squeezebox 3
    Oppo DV-983H dvd player
    Harmony 890 remote
    Quadraspire Q4 shelving
    Wiremold L10320 power strip

System Picture #1 | System Picture #2 | System Design

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Congratulations I bought my first DVD player this year. Not as nice as an Oppo but good enough for my 19 inch Magnavox. Now if I update my computer but Windows 98 and dial-up are working so well for me. Being dragged kicking and screaming into modern times.

Glad you figured out how to have the quality of image you were expecting.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Utmostjamin1
    how is the on screen menus on it? I have a DV-980H and love the player but the menus look like they were ported from space invaders.
    Klipsch RF-7 fronts
    Klipsch RC-7 center
    Klipsch RS-7 surrounds
    Velodyne DD-15 Subwoofer
    Integra DTC 9.8 Preamp Processor
    ROTELRMB 1095 Multichannel amplifier
    Oppo DV-980 H
    Samsung BDP 1500
    Sony 80 GB Playstation 3
    Sony Bravia XBR 46" LCD HD-TV

Cool

You sound like the guy who bought a color TV in 1989 because he was waiting for them to perfect the technology.
    Well, I just bought my first Blu ray player, upconversion is first rate,
    one site said it was as good as the 1200$ scaler they put up against it.
    And I can rent blu titles all day long , they cost as much as a regular DVD, and there are several dozen sub 20 buck BLU discs out there,
    and the price keeps coming down.
    I would like to congratulate you on finally entering the 20th century,
    only problem is, we are now in the twentyfirst
    After a few years of not messing with computers I went into circuit
    city to shop, four rows of laptops and one of desktops!
    A geeky kind of guy told me that nobody bought desktops anymore, probably an exageration, but they appear to be heading teh way of the CD.
    OH, you probably didnt hear, but the CD is dying a quick death.
    And trains have been replaced by airplanes also.
    Wish I could cheer your "decision" but you basically bought a Betamax
    reight before the "great capitulation", Blu is a major improvement over DVD, and while upscaled DVD looks pretty good(especially cgi intensive stuff) DVD is the past
    And the price of addmission you paid to get to that "past " would have bought you a nice new bLU PLAYER that plays UPCONVERTED
    DVD as well as your Oppo, if not better.
    Not that that matters, DVD is a legacy format now, and in a few years
    you will come to see what I mean
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Lol you clearly didn't sense the sarcasm in my post, of course I did not wait 15 years for the technology to reach perfection. I'm 29 years old, I've been building my stereo system for less than 2 years and was waiting out the HD wars before I purchased a player, and made my final decision to purchase DVD over Blu-Ray.

In any event, both my DVD player and your Blu-Ray player will be obsolete in 4 years time. However, the Oppo was a reasonably priced purchase for me, and I can enjoy tens of thousands of titles costing next to nothing (I don't rent media, but this is a personal preference). To be honest I couldn't care less about the higher definition video or audio quality offered by Blu-Ray. I own a 2-channel stereo system and 90% of my time is spent listening to music. But for that occasional time when I want to enjoy a movie, its nice to have the best upconverting DVD player ever built, in terms of video processing.

And when DVD and Blu-Ray are both replaced by media servers and streaming downloads, you'll be stuck with DRM protected Blu-Ray disks, while I can quickly rip my entire collection to a media server and enjoy all of the movies I've purchased for as long as I wish. So in fact, your overpriced Blu-Ray player will be obsolete before mine.

cheers,
    elapsed
    Naim CD5x cd player
    Naim NAC 122x pre-amp
    Naim NAP 150x poweramp
    Rega Planar 3 turntable
    Goldring 1042 cartridge
    Squeezebox 3
    Oppo DV-983H dvd player
    Harmony 890 remote
    Quadraspire Q4 shelving

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    I think you made an excellent decision. Your logic is very sound and you obviously got a best bang for the buck product. You might be right about Blu Ray not surviving. The big fight has turned off a lot of people and the remaining machines are still too high priced and far from acceptable in performance.

Don't listen to pixelthat. This is the same guy who bought a Vizio LCD, oh so Wal-Mart! (Oh my God, what have I started now!). I must admit though that his photo of Peter Sellers in another post was marvelous! He says that plsmas are dead. He obviously hasn't noticed that Panasonic just came out with another plasma size, their 46" models. Oh yeah, I almost forgot about their new model:

.....CES 2008: Panasonic's Enormous 150" Plasma TV Dwarfs All Competitors.....

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...08-keynot.html

Thanks for the report on the new 983. BTW, I guess the moral of the story is always read the owners manual first. Isn't it amazing to read a manual that isn't translated from Japanese by an ex sushi chef.

RR6

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Good call e, and good mini-review. A few years ago I managed to do the same thing with a DVI cable and component outs on an upconverting Universal. That ten seconds is bewildering while yer sittin' there thinking, "This sucks...".

Charm Thai™
    Congrats elapsed...glad to see i'm not alone. Kinda in the same boat having received my only dvd player as a gift less than 2 years ago. I too am going to pick up the 983 in the near future having been recently impressed by the 980. The only things i watch are concert dvd's and a few horror flicks that will never be available on blue-ray.

now i just gotta get an HD tv and digital cable someday.

OK, welcome to the '90s

Quote Originally Posted by elapsed
    Well I finally did it, I purchased my first DVD Player. I figured I'd wait out a full 15 years for the technology to reach perfection before I jumped the gun (right, right). ...

Highly recommend. Welcome me to the 90's.

cheers,
    elapsed
    I bought my first DVD player in '98 or maybe it actually was 2000. A Toshiba: easily the worst CD player I ever heard. But the Tosh' is still working fine playing DVDs with my Panasonic 27" CRT.

I feel ya elapsed.

I did the exact same thing as you. I bought an Oppo upconverter and couldn't be happier. If bluray ever becomes "reasonable" and/netflix switches over to all bluray, perhaps tnen and only then will I glom one. I think you made an excellent choice in doing what works for you. Congrats.

Da Worfster

Suspended
    Lol you clearly didn't sense the sarcasm in my post...
    I didn't either, but OTOH I got my sarcasm detector from GM so...
    I'm 29 years old, I've been building my stereo system for less than 2 years and was waiting out the HD wars before I purchased a player, and made my final decision to purchase DVD over Blu-Ray.
    Can't argue with that because IMO the lines haven't been drawn yet between the two technologies.

Nevertheless, if money wasn't so much an object, I'd probably have a PS3 AND an Oppo 981 in my A/V rack. The Oppo's are clearly a good value and a major step up over the run-of-the-mill DVD players these days. And when an American company puts something like that out on the market my inclination is to support and reward them by giving them my business.

But I do have to agree (and this is where a functional Detector would be useful) that BD titles aren't that expensive. I purchased from Amazon, a "Legends of Jazz:" BD that was recommended by a member here that absolutely blows away any DVD in picture and sound quality in my collection. It ain't even close. Cost was $13.95 shipped. I own more concert DVD's than movies and my PS3 gives me excellent detail in both sight and sound. About the only thing I use my Progressive DVD changer for anymore is to load it up, crank up the volume and go do chores and such around the house.
    In any event, both my DVD player and your Blu-Ray player will be obsolete in 4 years time.
    This one I'm not so sure about. If more and more movie studios are getting on board with the Blu-ray format then I think four years is unrealistic, and even if it is, how many people keep their same equipment for say... five years? On the other side of the coin, you heard from one person who mentioned that he's still running Windows 98 (Good Lord JM!!!) so I'd say there's more than a 4 year lag for acceptance of new tech such as Blu-ray AND VOD. What components will one need to purchase in order to utilize VOD? I'm able to purchase VOD titles over FIOS which means an STB and a MoCa router are required.
    However, the Oppo was a reasonably priced purchase for me, and I can enjoy tens of thousands of titles costing next to nothing (I don't rent media, but this is a personal preference). To be honest I couldn't care less about the higher definition video or audio quality offered by Blu-Ray. I own a 2-channel stereo system and 90% of my time is spent listening to music. But for that occasional time when I want to enjoy a movie, its nice to have the best upconverting DVD player ever built, in terms of video processing.
    It was certainly the right solution for you. Enjoy!

your DVD player doesn't "Upconvert to 1080p" just so you know...... it adds lines of resolution that are artificial...... since the DVD can only hold so much data, it's the old "you can't get blood from a turnip" analogy.

Congrats on the new player though..... I'd buy DVDs online, as they're quite a bit cheaper than you'll find at your local brick and mortar stores.

JP

Cool

Lol you clearly didn't sense the sarcasm in my post, of course I did not wait 15 years for the technology to reach perfection. I'm 29 years old, I've been building my stereo system for less than 2 years and was waiting out the HD wars before I purchased a player, and made my final decision to purchase DVD over Blu-Ray.

In any event, both my DVD player and your Blu-Ray player will be obsolete in 4 years time. However, the Oppo was a reasonably priced purchase for me, and I can enjoy tens of thousands of titles costing next to nothing (I don't rent media, but this is a personal preference). To be honest I couldn't care less about the higher definition video or audio quality offered by Blu-Ray. I own a 2-channel stereo system and 90% of my time is spent listening to music. But for that occasional time when I want to enjoy a movie, its nice to have the best upconverting DVD player ever built, in terms of video processing.

And when DVD and Blu-Ray are both replaced by media servers and streaming downloads, you'll be stuck with DRM protected Blu-Ray disks, while I can quickly rip my entire collection to a media server and enjoy all of the movies I've purchased for as long as I wish. So in fact, your overpriced Blu-Ray player will be obsolete before mine.

cheers,
    elapsed
    Dumb dumb dumb
    You are not getting the point, that oppo cost just as much as a
    blu player, so wheres the sense in that.
    As for downloading off of "media servers" I do that already, did they pass a law that people with Blu ray players cant do this?
    As for DRM wait untill you see those "media servers" guareentee ya
    the DRM on those suckers will make BLU look open sourced
    by comparison
    DRM phobia is becoming so prevalent that they oughta put it in a psychology textbook, and then theres what it leads to... DOR
    (denial of reality)
    DRM is here to stay, sorry but you will have to pay for media you use,
    simple as that.
    As for the "better dvd picture" that is nonsense, the video amps,
    scalers, everything on a Blu player is better in order to accomodate
    the higher capabilities of the blu format, to say that your oppo is "better"
    is that ol DOR kickin in again.
    You get a little boost in Q on a DVD by deinterlacing its 480i pic to 480p, because you're going from interlaced to progressive, and twice as much info is on the screen at the same time, you cant wring any more rez outta it without three grand worth of equipment.
    The entire tech is horse and buggy, it has nowhere to go, blu titles
    are selling for as low as ten bucks, and how are blu players
    "rediculousy" expensive when they cost as much as your oppo and do Blu ray?.
    Send that oppo back, and step into the 21st century.
    please
    PS I have a car for sale, interested?
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner6
    I think you made an excellent decision. Your logic is very sound and you obviously got a best bang for the buck product. You might be right about Blu Ray not surviving. The big fight has turned off a lot of people and the remaining machines are still too high priced and far from acceptable in performance.

Don't listen to pixelthat. This is the same guy who bought a Vizio LCD, oh so Wal-Mart! (Oh my God, what have I started now!). I must admit though that his photo of Peter Sellers in another post was marvelous! He says that plsmas are dead. He obviously hasn't noticed that Panasonic just came out with another plasma size, their 46" models. Oh yeah, I almost forgot about their new model:

.....CES 2008: Panasonic's Enormous 150" Plasma TV Dwarfs All Competitors.....

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...08-keynot.html

Thanks for the report on the new 983. BTW, I guess the moral of the story is always read the owners manual first. Isn't it amazing to read a manual that isn't translated from Japanese by an ex sushi chef.

RR6

More anti-vizio snobbery , good thing I dont care since you are so obviously clueless.
    As for a 150' plasma, I dont want to be near it, the ultraviolet radiation
    will guarentee ya that your kids will have gills
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

On the topic of video processing, you may be surprised to learn that your Vizio LCD does not in fact have "DVDO scaling", as you claimed on another thread. In fact, the video processing on this set is average at best. But on a similar note, the Oppo 983 does in fact have DVDO scaling, it uses the same VRS Video processing chip found in the Anchor Bay DVDO product line.

Now its interesting to note that VRS video processing is a step up from Silicon Optix HQV Realta. The Oppo 983 is the only DVD player ever to score a perfect 100/100 on the Secrets DVD Player Benchmark, higher even than the Denon DVD-5910, Samsung BD-P1200, and Toshina HD-XA2, all of which feature Silicon Optix HQV processing. No Blu-Ray Player can claim this title. The new Oppo is unsurpassed in video processing for stand-alone DVD players. For those who are hesitant to purchase into a brand new format, or who have a large DVD collection to begin with, this may be an ideal purchase.

That being said, as you grow older you may begin looking at the world more objectively and understand that other viewpoints are valid as well as your own. By repeatably and immaturely dismissing all viewpoints that differ from you own, this ultimately reflects poorly onto your level of intelligence.

cheers,
    elapsed
    Last edited by elapsed; 08-20-2008 at 12:27 PM.
    Naim CD5x cd player
    Naim NAC 122x pre-amp
    Naim NAP 150x poweramp
    Rega Planar 3 turntable
    Goldring 1042 cartridge
    Squeezebox 3
    Oppo DV-983H dvd player
    Harmony 890 remote
    Quadraspire Q4 shelving

Sadly, I'm not sure Pix has alot of years left for "growth".

In any case, good buy and great review elapsed. Thanks. FWIW, I didn't know about the Benchmark test or the DVDO processessing chip's ranking.

As you grow older you may begin looking at the world more objectively and understand that other viewpoints are valid as well as your own.
    Good luck with that one.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    FWIW, I didn't know about the Benchmark test or the DVDO processessing chip's ranking.
    Here is the Secrets DVD Benchmark Review of the Oppo 983: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cd-dv...rk-review.html

The benchmark technical primers are located here: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/prime...dvd-benchmark/

And finally, the fun part; the results of the benchmarks. Select View All Players from the drop-down menu, this may take a few seconds to load. http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/exter...benchmark.html

The results haven't been updated for 2008 yet, but this is the authoritative DVD benchmark site, and in fact the benchmarks here are what initially led to the Oppo cult-following on AVS Forums.
    Naim CD5x cd player
    Naim NAC 122x pre-amp
    Naim NAP 150x poweramp
    Rega Planar 3 turntable
    Goldring 1042 cartridge
    Squeezebox 3
    Oppo DV-983H dvd player
    Harmony 890 remote
    Quadraspire Q4 shelving

Cool

On the topic of video processing, you may be surprised to learn that your Vizio LCD does not in fact have "DVDO scaling", as you claimed on another thread. In fact, the video processing on this set is average at best. But on a similar note, the Oppo 983 does in fact have DVDO scaling, it uses the same VRS Video processing chip found in the Anchor Bay DVDO product line.

Now its interesting to note that VRS video processing is a step up from Silicon Optix HQV Realta. The Oppo 983 is the only DVD player ever to score a perfect 100/100 on the Secrets DVD Player Benchmark, higher even than the Denon DVD-5910, Samsung BD-P1200, and Toshina HD-XA2, all of which feature Silicon Optix HQV processing. No Blu-Ray Player can claim this title. The new Oppo is unsurpassed in video processing for stand-alone DVD players. For those who are hesitant to purchase into a brand new format, or who have a large DVD collection to begin with, this may be an ideal purchase.

That being said, as you grow older you may begin looking at the world more objectively and understand that other viewpoints are valid as well as your own. By repeatably and immaturely dismissing all viewpoints that differ from you own, this ultimately reflects poorly onto your level of intelligence.

cheers,
    elapsed

My VIZIO DOES have DVDO scaling, all did a few years ago, when I bought mine, regardless the scaling is quite good.
    AND the Russians have nuclear subs full of ballistic missles parked on
    both coasts of the US, none of us will be getting much older.
    And I do value other points of view besides mine, just not incorrect ones, which yours are.
    As for "level of intelligence" learn how to crawl before you redicule
    long distance runners.
    HERES the major salient fact in the whole argument, the only one of any relevance, mainly that upconversion can improve a picture,
    but it CANT increase resolution, wont happen.
    You're DVD is going to be 480i at best no matter how much electronic
    chicanery you pull on it, a Blu is 108OP.
    yOU CAN TALK all you want about how good the "DVD picture" is,
    the point is its a 480I DVD PICTURE
    And the player putting it out cost as much as a Blu player.
    My I.Q is 130 btw
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Unfortunately your Vizio does not have any form of DVDO scaling, but if you're still not convinced you can check all of Anchor Bay's press releases dating back to 2004 when the DVDO iScan HD was first released: http://www.anchorbaytech.com/company/news/press.php

Regardless, Vizio has done an outstanding job to move up to #1 in LCD in terms of North American market share, and although their early panels from 2005 and 2006 were notable for poor quality, the new panels are sourced from quality suppliers; LG.Phillips last year, and more recently CMO and Samsung.

Now back to the thread at hand, if you read all of my posts not once did I ever claim that 480i resolution can match 1080p, nor that any scalar can increase resolution. Of course Blu-Ray is superior to DVD, that was never my point. But I'm certain your superior intellect surmised this already, particularly as this thread is not entitled "Welcome me to 2008!".

cheers,
    elapsed
    Naim CD5x cd player
    Naim NAC 122x pre-amp
    Naim NAP 150x poweramp
    Rega Planar 3 turntable
    Goldring 1042 cartridge
    Squeezebox 3
    Oppo DV-983H dvd player
    Harmony 890 remote
    Quadraspire Q4 shelving

Either way, you said This :

so my Sharp was doing the upconversion to 1080p
    which is ridiculous.... have you discoved the proper inputs to upconvert VHS to 1080p yet?

This may come as a shock to you, but LCD's are fixed-panel progressive-scan displays. That means that an LCD with a native 1080p resolution can only and will only ever display at 1920x1080p. Any 480i sources are then scaled by the video processor's to 1080p. The term scaler is used interchangably with the term upconverter.

If you took the time to read my original post, you'd see that I couldn't believe how awful the video processor in the Sharp set really is. As for the Oppo's video processor, it does a hell of a lot more than just scale a 480i source to 1080p. Clearly you've never auditionned an outboard video processor or a capable video processing chip in an AVR or DVD Player.

Here are a couple of quick primers:

http://www.hqv.com/technology.cfm
    http://www.anchorbaytech.com/vrs_technology/

cheers,
    elapsed
    Naim CD5x cd player
    Naim NAC 122x pre-amp
    Naim NAP 150x poweramp
    Rega Planar 3 turntable
    Goldring 1042 cartridge
    Squeezebox 3
    Oppo DV-983H dvd player
    Harmony 890 remote
    Quadraspire Q4 shelving

Let's take a look at the Nielsen VideoScan High-Def market share for the week ending August 10th:

If you think that being down 26.88 percent over last week is bad, have a look at the revenue, at only 6.89 million. These are really embarrassing numbers.

On a similar note, there are presently 89,259 DVD titles on the market (not including discontinued or adult titles). In contrast, there are only 642 Blu-Ray titles.

Check the polls for yourself, consumers are saying that they are happy as it is with DVD and see no need to upgrade, regardless of the improved resolution and high-def audio.

cheers,
    elapsed
    Naim CD5x cd player
    Naim NAC 122x pre-amp
    Naim NAP 150x poweramp
    Rega Planar 3 turntable
    Goldring 1042 cartridge
    Squeezebox 3
    Oppo DV-983H dvd player
    Harmony 890 remote
    Quadraspire Q4 shelving

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    My I.Q is 130 btw
    ...and yet you still have problems with "redicule".

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    ...and yet you still have problems with "redicule".
    there is a difference between a problem and a bother.
    If I think someone can make out what I SAY I leave it, I have never understood the sticklers who insist on perfect spelling on the net.
    I have a slight case of DYSLEXIA and its hassle enough to go back and change all of the "teh's" to "the".
    As for the sales figures for blu, the sales figures for all electronics are
    slow unless its the fall, and I dont buy something just because someone else is buying it.
    You know I participated in a lot of the talk around this site about buying a blu player versus an oppo.
    And what convinced me that blu was the way to go?
    Well, better sound, the only reason I considered an oppo was SACD,
    but my current player will do fine for that.
    Also theres capability, a Blu player can do something nothing else can
    at this time, produce a 1080p true HD pic.
    THE HD picture on my cable is nice, sometimes outstanding(TNT's
    showing of underworld was amazing, save the crap they put at the bottom of tne screen)
    a Blu player is a lot more consistent, even with lower bitrate discs
    theres no video noise.
    And there is a difference between an upconverter and a scaler,
    an upconverter merely resizes the pic to a higher res, it takes an expensive scaler to get any true res increase from material,
    and you dont get much even then.
    Silicon optix has done wonders with their reon chips, the OLEVIA
    I saw with one was really nice, cant beat a blu tho.
    I have had an upconverter for several years, bought mainly for the SACD, I am quite familar with the process, and trust me, one chip wont replace an expensive scaler, you need the res to already
    be there.
    AS FOR the capabilities of the blu player to play DVD that was the final selling point for me, seeing the exelent job one did in a friends home on a properly set up display.
    My next post will be a review (if I CAN FIND IT) comparing my blu player to a 1200 dollar scaler, quite favorably at that
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information