AR Newbie Registered Member

Upgrading my 2-channel Thule IA100

I want to upgrade my 2-channel Thule IA100 into 5.1 or 7.1 channel ..at the back of the amp there is a main in input and a pre-out output.Do you know guys what i have to connect to the Thule in order to take multi channel sound ?

Thanks for your help
    Akis

Suspended
    First you will need a 5 or 7.1 HT receiver or preamp. A preamp processor will require amplification for the other channels so if you have a budget look at receivers.

Now how to connect. The main/front 2 preamp outputs from your potential receiver will go to your Thule. The ideal way would be if the Thule had a "bypass" feature that allowed for integration in a HT set up. If that doesn't exist, your second best choice would be a tape monitor loop. Connect the preamp output of the receiver to the tape monitor input of your Thule. When tape monitor is on turn the Thule up full volume, then turn on the receiver and set your volume settings etc. from the receiver. When using HT receiver turn tape monitor on and use the Thule as a slave to the receiver and control everything from the receiver. When listening to stereo through the Thule BE SURE VOLUME IS TURNED BACK DOWN then turn tape monitor off for regular stereo use.

So your L/R front channel sound will pass out the preamp outs of the HT receiver into the Thule's tape monitor inputs and the Thule is used to power the fronts for the HT set up. The volume on the Thule has to be full volume so it basically is used as just a power amp for the receiver and volume will be controlled from the receiver. You are just using the Thule in place of the receiver's internal front L/R amplification.

Hope I explained that well enough.

Thread Information