Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

Upgrade time...finally! Need help choosing new TV

Time to finally address the weak-link in my HT room...TV.

Given a $2000 budget(US funds, a bit more in Cdn), what would you recommend?

I currently have a 32"ish Panasonic Gau (sp?) jobber from the aparment days a few years back...that's moving into the extra closet in the master bedroom so I can watch the Monday night games from bed.

I was looking at Hitachi, and Toshiba HDTV's, 51"...there the only ones I've seen...I like the size, could go bigger I suppose, wouldn't wan't to go below 40" or so.

I know next to nothing about TV's...except I want a bigger, newer one that is HD ready so I can get the better picture/Dolby Digital from the satellite receiver. And though I doubt my budget accomodates one, I'm not interested in plasma tv's.

Any recommendations? Anything I should know?

Help much appreciated!!!

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Good for you but I would wait.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc

I currently have a 32"ish Panasonic Gau (sp?) jobber from the aparment days a few years back...that's moving into the extra closet in the master bedroom so I can watch the Monday night games from bed.

I was looking at Hitachi, and Toshiba HDTV's, 51"...there the only ones I've seen...I like the size, could go bigger I suppose, wouldn't wan't to go below 40" or so.

I know next to nothing about TV's...except I want a bigger, newer one that is HD ready so I can get the better picture/Dolby Digital from the satellite receiver. And though I doubt my budget accomodates one, I'm not interested in plasma tv's.

Help much appreciated!!!
    The competition between DLP's is really putting a lot of pressure on prices to drop. My guess is that within 6 months the price for DLP rear projectors will drop by 25% or more. I've got my eye on a 61" DLP that's just out of range now, but in a few months time....
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    I got a Mitsubishi 48" HD Ready TV for $1600 and I'm very pleased with it. Will send you the model number on request. You'll also need to set up some money for component cables, a good surge protector (if you don't have) & a few hundred dollars for an extended warranty which I recommend. You can find some good deals on component cables & surge protectors, new & sealed, by doing goofle searches and/or using Ebay.

Help much appreciated!!!

Hershon - got all the cables/surge protector, etc...just need the tv

Geoffcin: Excellent, thanks for the headsup...hope you're right about the price dropping (drooling at the thought of 61" tv) .I'm not one to rush out and buy, we were thinking January/February, if waiting saves a few bucks, that's fine by me.
    Just one question...(don't laugh)...what's DLP mean?

Lightbulb Upgrade time

Hershon - got all the cables/surge protector, etc...just need the tv

Geoffcin: Excellent, thanks for the headsup...hope you're right about the price dropping (drooling at the thought of 61" tv) .I'm not one to rush out and buy, we were thinking January/February, if waiting saves a few bucks, that's fine by me.
    Just one question...(don't laugh)...what's DLP mean?
    Future Shop has the sony 46" KP46WT520 in CANADA for 1799.99 ! There always sale around XMAS and boxing day they even throw in speaker ! keep the tv and sale the speaker if you dont need them (will bring your price down )Pat.P

Forum Regular
    DLP (Digital Light Processing)
    A projection TV technology developed by Texas Instruments, based on their Digital Micromirror Device (DMD) microchip. Each DMD chip has hundreds of thousands of tiny swiveling mirrors which are used to create the image. The popular HD2 DLP chip has an array of 1280 by 720 mirrors, where each mirror represents a single pixel to provide 720p resolution. DLP technology is used in both front- and rear-projection systems.

There are two basic types of DLP projector: "single-chip" projectors use a single DMD chip along with a spinning color wheel, while much more expensive "3-chip" projectors dedicate a chip to each basic color: red, green, and blue.

Definition take from www.crutchfieldadvisor.com
    gotta give credit where credit is due!

cashlz: Whoah....that's more than I ever wanted to know about a TV.

PAT.P: I just can't see me ever buying a Sony TV again, too many problems last time, I'm still bitter.
    But FutureShop does sell some other models. I'm a bit hesitant to buy from them, because chances are my salesperson won't be working there if and when I ever need help. But if the price is right...

Forum Regular
    Hey Kexo....Take a look at the Hitachi's. I got a 57" Widescreen HD Ready one about 2 years ago for $1800. I believe it is model # UWX57b, or something like that. I know it is a UWX version and it is a 57" TV.

Anyways, after using the THX setup disc that comes with Finding Nemo, this thing is flat awesome. I would highly reccomend Hitachi. Just my 2 cents but it is ultimately your decision.

Forum Regular

Smile I'll back that up

Quote Originally Posted by ryjam282
    Hey Kexo....Take a look at the Hitachi's. I got a 57" Widescreen HD Ready one about 2 years ago for $1800. I believe it is model # UWX57b, or something like that. I know it is a UWX version and it is a 57" TV.

Anyways, after using the THX setup disc that comes with Finding Nemo, this thing is flat awesome. I would highly reccomend Hitachi. Just my 2 cents but it is ultimately your decision.
    I bought a Hitachi 57", HD ready, for $1500 about 2 months ago(57S500). Awesome TV! They also have a great reputation. I felt their picture was about the best. Be sure to get the S series & not the F series. Better lens system & that equals a better picture. The 500 has no HD tuner & the 700 does have the HD tuner just so you know.

Forum Regular
    If you are looking for a standard rear projection, I suggest you look at Hitachi 51S715(I think it has 57" too) or 57T500. 51S715 has a chip that creates simulated 1080p resolution. The standard is 1080i.

Thread Information