Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Regular
    Lex; If you touch that volume level on the sub I will just say it will confuse the calibrations that satisfy you at this moment and throw them off. I would try what I suggested thru the receiver. Scientifically, our ears become more bass sensitive as volume is increased. This is called the FLETCHER-MUNSON CURVE. Lex, put the TWISTER disc into your system and try what I suggested. The hell with the Decibels in this case. The idea is for you to be able to return to the setting that works well with the enormous LFE soundtracks. Kelsci

kelsci - just curious....

without getting into all the banter regarding individual taste/listening habits, where is it recommended that DTS sub levels be set at +10db? By no means am I disputing this, just curious about the info. Can you give me a link or something? Thanks...
    And like Lex, one of my favorite scenes is U-571 depth charges - I'm afraid to set my sub above +4 even...
    "....all my friends are junkies...are you monkey too?" -
    The Rolling Stones

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by dph1965
    without getting into all the banter regarding individual taste/listening habits, where is it recommended that DTS sub levels be set at +10db? By no means am I disputing this, just curious about the info. Can you give me a link or something? Thanks...
    And like Lex, one of my favorite scenes is U-571 depth charges - I'm afraid to set my sub above +4 even...
    Dph1965; I am not the advocate or instigator of the +10 DB setting on the sub for DTS tracks. I think that his Lordship, Sir Terrance and a few other subwoofer advocates have indicated to do this with DTS tracks. Off the cuff, from what I have read or heard, the DTS LFE and bass response that was recorded on DTS movies required a l0 DB boost over D.D. settings because they were "recorded" for playback that way. To me, DTS has probably made a mess of things particulaly since most receivers do not allow you to make separate adjustements between the two tracks. DPH, I would do a discussion search on this forum on the top of this page. Hopefully, your question can be answered. Perhaps type in" l0 DB subwoofer" and see what that brings up. My sub set-up is two passive subs powered by a NAD 3040 int. amp's power amp section in conjunction with the sub output of my receiver. You can only play your subs "so loud" because if they are too loud, the stereo surround field is literally destroyed. I am pleased with my settings done by ear with everthing sounding in a more normal range on every soundtrack.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    I know what you mean about U-571....at "+6" the sub is already shaking apart during the depth charge sequences if the receiver is up to say 50 or so....if the calibration is above "+6" forget it....my 10" Polk cant handle it.....

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    I found the information in my owners manual of my receiver. The default position for Dts LFE was +0. My manual states " For correct LFE levels on Dts soundtracks adjust the LFE to +10db. For Dts music the correct LFE level is +0.".

Also read this thread on ecoustic forum that supports what I state.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/3/3746.html

Some receiver already do the compensation for the difference in LFE, and some do not. That is why I advise that you check your owners manual.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by kelsci
    Dph1965; I am not the advocate or instigator of the +10 DB setting on the sub for DTS tracks. I think that his Lordship, Sir Terrance and a few other subwoofer advocates have indicated to do this with DTS tracks. Off the cuff, from what I have read or heard, the DTS LFE and bass response that was recorded on DTS movies required a l0 DB boost over D.D. settings because they were "recorded" for playback that way. To me, DTS has probably made a mess of things particulaly since most receivers do not allow you to make separate adjustements between the two tracks. DPH, I would do a discussion search on this forum on the top of this page. Hopefully, your question can be answered. Perhaps type in" l0 DB subwoofer" and see what that brings up. My sub set-up is two passive subs powered by a NAD 3040 int. amp's power amp section in conjunction with the sub output of my receiver. You can only play your subs "so loud" because if they are too loud, the stereo surround field is literally destroyed. I am pleased with my settings done by ear with everthing sounding in a more normal range on every soundtrack.
    Kel,

I think things are getting confused here. The calibration of the sub, and the setting of the LFE levels are two distinctly different things.

The calibration of the sub involves setting the levels from the subwoofer level, utilizing the subs volume control. That should be set 3-5db higher than the main speakers.

Setting the LFE level involves going into the receivers menu and setting it according to your instruction manual. It is not the same thing as subwoofer calibration as it is done from the receiver, not the sub. I hope this clarifies things somewhat
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Kel,

I think things are getting confused here. The calibration of the sub, and the setting of the LFE levels are two distinctly different things.

The calibration of the sub involves setting the levels from the subwoofer level, utilizing the subs volume control. That should be set 3-5db higher than the main speakers.

Setting the LFE level involves going into the receivers menu and setting it according to your instruction manual. It is not the same thing as subwoofer calibration as it is done from the receiver, not the sub. I hope this clarifies things somewhat
    Your Lordship; I use the system I spelled out in thread #28. I am satisfied with the way it performs. I have very little experience with powered subs per say that have the volume and bass intensity controls and as such I really give no advice nor go onto any threads involving subwoofers. This thread by Lex is the only case that reminded me of a possible solution to his problem that would make a possible altercation AT THE RECEIVERS SUB-OUT since it is easy to return to the orgininal setting. Because of your 2 above statements, I would be a fool to advise people on powered sub calibrations. Kelsci

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Kel,

Wow, now I know Im lost, Terrence.....I was told before NOT TO TOUCH the subwoofer control on the rear of the subwoofer-----didnt you tell me that? What about the dB levels on the receiver's subwoofer calibration-----should THOSE be a couple of dBs higher than all other speakers?

Forum Regular
    Lex; You have said that the current setting on your sub avoids cracking and snapping on certain powerful LFE effects soundtracks. I would think then that your sub is properly calibrated to function properly. There are all kinds of subs out there in the market. Some of them may handle LFE efffects better than the Polk that you own. Your receivers subwoofer output is set at some particular number. That number at this time is the number you stick with because it also contributes to the prevention of your sub bottoming out and cracking and snapping too. I am now going to recommend to you one particular thing; leave the subwoofer output setting on your receiver right where it is for all discs that you play. This means that you may on occassion have to listen to TWISTER just the way it now sounds on your system or any other disc that might be weak in low bass because they were recorded that way from the studio. I believe those are few and far between. At this point Lex, your system is calibrated well enough to use on any disc safely. Kelsci

Lex; You have said that the current setting on your sub avoids cracking and snapping on certain powerful LFE effects soundtracks. I would think then that your sub is properly calibrated to function properly. There are all kinds of subs out there in the market. Some of them may handle LFE efffects better than the Polk that you own. Your receivers subwoofer output is set at some particular number. That number at this time is the number you stick with because it also contributes to the prevention of your sub bottoming out and cracking and snapping too. I am now going to recommend to you one particular thing; leave the subwoofer output setting on your receiver right where it is for all discs that you play. This means that you may on occassion have to listen to TWISTER just the way it now sounds on your system or any other disc that might be weak in low bass because they were recorded that way from the studio. I believe those are few and far between. At this point Lex, your system is calibrated well enough to use on any disc safely. Kelsci
    I second that.

guys, i'm ashamed of you all..especially people who have been around here some time now. Remember the trick where you lay cash on the ground...then attach it to a string..when someone walks by and decides to pick it up...it is snatched....repeat, repeat..

that's exactly what Lex is doing to all of you....pulling your strings. YOu can never fully answer his questions. First it was the SPL meter, then EX or ES, then Jaws DTS, Scarface SE...and now its Twister and the sub setting....please stop feeding him and lets move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    guys, i'm ashamed of you all..especially people who have been around here some time now. Remember the trick where you lay cash on the ground...then attach it to a string..when someone walks by and decides to pick it up...it is snatched....repeat, repeat..

that's exactly what Lex is doing to all of you....pulling your strings. YOu can never fully answer his questions. First it was the SPL meter, then EX or ES, then Jaws DTS, Scarface SE...and now its Twister and the sub setting....please stop feeding him and lets move on.
    Amen!

Forum Regular

Tarheel; I was ordered by DARTH SIDIUS to follow the stick. I guess I'm a "stickler".

Some people are very, very slow learners. I've got to tell you though, I get huge entertainment value out of watching this debacle continue to unfold.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Tarheel,

Deep down on the inside I know you are right, but I am trying so hard to be nice and it is friggin killin me. I am trying so dang hard to project the kinder, gentler me that I am about to kill myself in the process. I must tell ya, I threw in the towel after my last simple and easy to understand answer was not understood. I could not have made it more easy, and I do not know how to explain it any more easily.

My manager is throwing in the towel now......
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Tarheel,

Deep down on the inside I know you are right, but I am trying so hard to be nice and it is friggin killin me. I am trying so dang hard to project the kinder, gentler me that I am about to kill myself in the process. I must tell ya, I threw in the towel after my last simple and easy to understand answer was not understood. I could not have made it more easy, and I do not know how to explain it any more easily.

My manager is throwing in the towel now......
    I don't know if you are in the minority or not. I have a nagging suspicion that there are several very kind hearted people involved here. I certainly am not about to tell them what to do, it's their time to spend as they chose. I wonder though if those people are really doing anyone a favor by their kindness and patience. See, if we are to believe that the efforts are not in vain, then you have to believe that somebody is actually this helpless and clueless (which is a very nice way of putting it). Is that really being kind??? I dunno, just thinking out loud here.

Ahh, but the show is the thing and this show will go on!

Regards,
    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    I don't know if you are in the minority or not. I have a nagging suspicion that there are several very kind hearted people involved here. I certainly am not about to tell them what to do, it's their time to spend as they chose. I wonder though if those people are really doing anyone a favor by their kindness and patience. See, if we are to believe that the efforts are not in vain, then you have to believe that somebody is actually this helpless and clueless (which is a very nice way of putting it). Is that really being kind??? I dunno, just thinking out loud here.

Ahh, but the show is the thing and this show will go on!

Regards,
    jc

Helpless and clueless are one thing. Flat out lying about his 3 (that we know of) screen names is another. Everyone and I mean everyone knows TLADINY and Lexmark are one in the same. Myself and many others understand John Beresford is his third indentity. Lexmark/TLADINY/John B. is the only one that does not know who he is.

Liars are Liars. Simple as that and they don't deserve help until they can come clean. I will never help this person until then. I will however, continue to push his buttons. That's what he get's for being a LIAR! He can continue to ask the same questions over and over and then hurl what ever insults, denials and excuses he wants at me and others but at the end of the day. HE IS A LIAR. Nothing more.

P.S. Kelsci, You are far more patient that most of us. I commend you for your efforts.

JSE

A lot of well intentioned, well thought advice has been squandered around here lately

If I didn't know any better, I'd say that someone is putting a lot of thought and effort into putting on a clueless act simply to garner attention. There's a similar thread on the digital forum by the same person who, yet again, refuses to see the forest for the trees even though several have been cut down and hit 'em on the head.

...what's that mythical creature that lives under a bridge?

PS... I only noticed JSE's post after I posted mine. Great minds think alike?
    Last edited by markw; 03-31-2004 at 07:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Thank you very much, Kel....thats what I wanted to confirm, if my sub was at a level which was comfortable for all discs playing through it....thats why I have been leaving it at "+6"....

cam
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexmark3200
    Thank you very much, Kel....thats what I wanted to confirm, if my sub was at a level which was comfortable for all discs playing through it....thats why I have been leaving it at "+6"....
    If your sub is +6, relative humidity is 70%, your down to your last 6 pack, and your neighbours dog has an ear infection, what do I set my surrounds to. Now I'm really confused.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information