PDN
    Forum Regular

TV connection scheme

This may have been discussed before. I'm new to this forum.

OK here goes. I have on order a Sharp Aquos 32" 1080p LCD TV. Should be arriving in about a week. Presently I have a conventional JVC 27" tube tv that I am going to replace with the new one. I also have a VCR, DVD player and a Cable TV converter box for HBO. The cable from the street goes first to the cable box, then out to the VCR, then out from the VCR to the input on the TV. The DVD player video out is connected directly to the TV video in using standard RCA jacks. For the audio, I have a single digital cable to my Marantz A-V receiver. I was told by a technician at Sharp that since I am going through my VCR, the new Aquos LCD TV will not operate to its fullest capability (1080p) since the signal will be degraded somewhat through the VCR. I still use my VCR quite a bit so I'm not doing away with it. He also mentioned something about High Definition signals will be impacted through the VCR.

Is this true about the signal going through the VCR and that the new LCD TV will be comprimised? If so, how would you recommend I connect this arrangement to allow the new TV to work to its fullest range including HD signals? Many thanks for your expertise.

Forum Regular
    First off do you mean that you still tape a lot of programs or that you watch a lot of vhs tapes.If the answer is taping you may want to see if your provider has a DVR,which would record programs on a hard drive and not cause a high def problem because the high def wont work with a vcr in the way.When your new tv comes you will find new hookups and you will have to change the way you hook up your dvd player as well,HDMI or component is the way to go.What model Marantz do you have?When you say you have a single cable for audio,do you mean from the dvd or cable box?

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

PDN
    Forum Regular
    Musicman

Thanks very much for the quick response. Actually I still tape programs, sporting events, etc. I also watch some VHS tapes having built quite a collection of programs over the years. I have a Marantz SR5600 A-V Receiver, 90 rms watts x 7. Right now, I have a single digital cable for audio connected directly to the Marantz from the DVD player not the cable box. Yes I've been studying up on video connections for LCD HDTV's and I understand HDMI is the best followed by component video connections. I do not go through the receiver for any video functions although I understand you can. I don't plan to doing that. But you've answered my question that the VCR is just going to get in the way of the digital signal to the TV. What I'm wondering is if there is any sort of A-B type switch arrangement I can use when I want to work with the VCR. I would normally keeep it out of the loop but bring it in when I want to use it. What do you think? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by PDN
    Musicman

Thanks very much for the quick response. Actually I still tape programs, sporting events, etc. I also watch some VHS tapes having built quite a collection of programs over the years. I have a Marantz SR5600 A-V Receiver, 90 rms watts x 7. Right now, I have a single digital cable for audio connected directly to the Marantz from the DVD player not the cable box. Yes I've been studying up on video connections for LCD HDTV's and I understand HDMI is the best followed by component video connections. I do not go through the receiver for any video functions although I understand you can. I don't plan to doing that. But you've answered my question that the VCR is just going to get in the way of the digital signal to the TV. What I'm wondering is if there is any sort of A-B type switch arrangement I can use when I want to work with the VCR. I would normally keeep it out of the loop but bring it in when I want to use it. What do you think? Thanks.
    I would keep it out of the loop and when you DO want to use it add it to the system, I think your receiver should have front inputs for video and audio...right? I would also second the idea about getting the DVR....about 2 years ago I set my parents system up with a DVD-player/recorder so that they could tape things off TV or tape them onto a DVD, in which case my dad also wanted the ability to turn all of his VHS tapes into DVD, so we routed everything so he could do that as well and within a few months the VCR became useless.

Quote Originally Posted by PDN
    Musicman

I have a cable box with DVR, cable modem, and if I wanted, a cable connected to my TV
    digital tuner.
    Get a DVR, and maybe a DVD recorder, to archive your current tapes and eliminate the need for a vcr.
    And get a broadband splitter, hook your cable to the in and your stuff to the outs.
    You might be disapointed with what your cable company offers without the box.
    The only digital and HD stuff I get through my cable without a box is public television,
    turner classic movies, and music choice, and the "parts" that make up the VOD service.
    But get rid of that vcr as soon as feasible, anything you record with a dvr or a dvd player
    will look three times as good. I didnt even bother trying to sell mine, trashed it
    And the only way you can "timeshift" in HD is with a dvr anyway
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Forum Regular
    PDN
    Check your cable box it may have a digital output for audio,if so hook it up that way.A DVR
    would simplify things a lot,then you could hook up you vcr to your tv and reciever with out plugging the cable into it and use it to play tapes only.Try the DVR it is far easier to use than a vcr,you will never go back.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

PDN
    Forum Regular
    Thanks everyone. I'll look at DVR's asap. I do want to get rid of the VCR eventually. Can you record over DVD discs and if so, which ones would you recommend? Is it DVD-R or DVD+R?

PDN
    Forum Regular

DVD recorders

With a DVD recorder, can you record a TV program, then erase it and re-record over that same part of the disc? If so, which type of blank DVD would you use? Does anyone know?

Thread Information