***** Lurker

Unhappy Ground Loop Hum from Cable TV

I took my Sony ES DVD player in for service (drawer was sticking) and they gave me a loaner; Now I have incredibly annoying hum from all of my speakers. Disconnect cable - hum gone. Driving me NUTS. I mostly watch DVDs but occasionally like to show off the HDTV capabilities of my 57" Wide Screen. I am dreading picking up my DVD player - what if I find out that it isn't the crappy loaner player that is causing the hum. Oh, what to do, what to do. Anyone have any advice? I have tried just about everything I can think of. If I can't remedy this situation, I am going to cancel my cable. Would a dish system be an alternative? Any replies sincerely appreciated . . .

***** Lurker

Gee, thanks for all the replies - guys . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Hairsonfire
    I took my Sony ES DVD player in for service (drawer was sticking) and they gave me a loaner; Now I have incredibly annoying hum from all of my speakers. Disconnect cable - hum gone. Driving me NUTS. I mostly watch DVDs but occasionally like to show off the HDTV capabilities of my 57" Wide Screen. I am dreading picking up my DVD player - what if I find out that it isn't the crappy loaner player that is causing the hum. Oh, what to do, what to do. Anyone have any advice? I have tried just about everything I can think of. If I can't remedy this situation, I am going to cancel my cable. Would a dish system be an alternative? Any replies sincerely appreciated . . .
    Just for closure, I picked up my DVD Player and all is quiet now. Interesting that the integrity of the system would be so disrupted by just one component. Amazing.

There were at least two big threads about ground loops within the last two months or so. People may have been burned out on the topic. Sometimes it's a good idea to search the archives.

Ed

Thread Information