AR Newbie Registered Member

What should I buy for my home theater

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eric Z
    ... Also, some here on this site stand by either Yamaha, Denon, or Onkyo.
    Good luck!

What about Marantz? I'm starting my first hometheather system, I want to buy quality and build upp slowly, any help would be very good.

Also, what speakers would you recomend?

thanks

Forum Regular
    Marantz is a solid brand. Good build, nice amps.

As far as speaker choice, that is up to you. Speaker choice is highly subjective and personal. You need to find what you like. Take a selection of your favorite DVD's and CD's and go out and listen to as many speakers as you can. Try to listen for an extended time if you can. At least a few songs or chapters per session.

Put as much as you can afford (within reason) into speakers. This is what you are going to hear and have the greatest influence on your systems performance. Stay posted in the forums if you need help.

James

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanks for all the help.

The system will both be used for music and HT, propably mostly for HT. I generally like clear sounding speakers rather than speakers that have very a very powerfull bass.

Marantz SR-4400 this is the reciver which I can get for a very good price, and was thinking of taking. I know its a entry level model. What kind of speakers should I be looking for this model (watts and such). Or is it important to go for a more expensive model?

Thanks
    Last edited by Karigaut; 10-14-2004 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karigaut
    Thanks for all the help.

The system will both be used for music and HT, propably mostly for HT. I generally like clear sounding speakers rather than speakers that have very a very powerfull bass.

Marantz SR-4400 this is the reciver which I can get for a very good price, and was thinking of taking. I know its a entry level model. What kind of speakers should I be looking for this model (watts and such). Or is it important to go for a more expensive model?

Thanks
    No reason to look higher unless you need different features or more power.

You may want to check out the ProCinema 100.6 sub/sat system from Definitive Technologies. It should do a nice job for both HT and music. I owned it several years agao, and found it to be an excellent performer in its price range.

Also look at sub/sat systems from Energy, Mirage and Boston Acoustics.

---Dave

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Karigaut
    Thanks for all the help.

Thanks
    Pick your speakers first and then select the receiver to drive them not the other way around. As long as the receiver has enough juice to drive your speakers what you hear is 95% speakers and room acoustics. The receiver has a relatively small impact on the sound. Your job is to audition as many speakers as possible.

Thread Information