Forum Regular

Speaker recommendations for my price range.

Hey guys. I'm not at all experience in home theater set up, and I've got a few questions for you. I'm parents are having me buy them a system for $1000, and they really don't want me to go over. So far I have a Pioneer VSX-D912K 6 Channel Home Theater Receiver and a PANASONIC DVD-F85S DVD 5 Disc Player for the dvd player. So I have about $550 to spend on spekers and cables.

This doesn't have to be a perfect system. I just want something that will be pretty impressive. I'm not sure if I should get a complete package like the Polk RM6700TI with the PSW303 sub. Or if I would be better off just buying to stereo speakers and upgrading later. The thing is, I'm leaving next year for college, and I don't know if my parents would ever take the initiative to get more speakers. I wanted them to have surround sound. They also want small speakers, so I should probably stay away from the tower speakers and stick to bookshelf or preferrably sattelite.

So basically I just need some reccomendations for my price range, and whether I should just buy a system already packaged together with 4 sattlites and a center channel, or if I should just get everything piece by piece. (I could probably only afford stereo speakers in this instance)

Sorry I didn't post links to the stuff I already bought, I couldn't figure it out. Thanks for the help. I'll post any more questions I might come across later.

Forum Regular
    deadlifter:Have you checked out the Athena line in Best Buy? Their midsize bookshelves sound pretty good and you could also pick up the $125 Dayton powered sub from Parts Express(www.partsexpress.com). I think Athena has a smaller bookshelf too and you could use them as surrounds. Of course, you should go with their center channel which goes for around $180 although you might be able find it a little cheaper. For cables, I think the Dayton Audio cables(again, from Parts Express) offer a great bang for the buck. I highly recommend the 12 gauge OFC SoundKing speaker wire from Parts Express which is often on sale for $29.90 for a 100-foot spool.

Forum Regular

Well..

I'm not sure if you have a Future Shop around you. I'm not sure if Future Shop has a webpage not with Canadian prices..Or if you are in Canada...But I have speakers by Quest. Canadian made, High-Quality stuff, veryy good deals. Anyway, Click Here to see some you might be interested in if you have acess to Future Shop. I got a pair of Quest Q610's (Unfortunatly Not Made Anymore) a few years ago on sale for 99.99 Canadian! Reg 199.99. Then they were available only online for a few months At 89.99!! Now they're gone, but here is one of the new models Quest makes. Also available, a Matching center channel . 99.99 canadian.

Forum Regular
    Do you think I would be better off using the money I have on two front stereo speakers or a surround sound system?

Forum Regular
    Can you take back the receiver and dvd player for refunds at this point in time? If you can, take back the receiver. The Denon AVR-483 goes for $168.06 from 6ave.com. Add the HSU Ventriloquist system for $249 and VTF-2 for $450 and you should be all set.

Forum Regular
    deadlifter: What you COULD do right now is concentrate on getting a nice pair of bookshelves and a timbre-matched center channel. IMO, getting the front speakers timbre-matched is much more important than matching rear surrounds. I have my old(but still great-sounding) dbx Soundfield 3x2 sub/sat system as rear surrounds and Aura's LSW-828M's and LSC-537 as mains and CC respectively... and it sounds great! Concentrating your efforts on a nice front stage is very important as that's where you'll be getting around 80-90% of your sound, particularily with DVD's. The rear surrounds ARE important, particularily if you eventually decide to pick up a universal disc player to enjoy DVD-A's and SACD's hi-resolution but for the most part you can skimp a little on the rear surrounds. I don't mean that you should go with the mass-market crap in Best Buy(unless you're going with Athena and Klipsch). I'm only saying that you can go a little cheaper(a smaller nice-quality bookshelf) on the surrounds. Of course, you're gonna need a sub and there are tons of decent powered subs out there. I'm not saying they're great but I've had good luck with my BIC 12" and Dahlquist 15". I got mine from uBid awhile ago but I often see them listed on ebay.

Thread Information