Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Audio casualty StevenSurprenant's Avatar
    Just a thought...

While there is an ideal place in the room for a sub, there can be other choices for other reasons.

I don't play my surround as loudly as some people and in a normal configuration for the sub, such as in front, I don't get the room shaking effect at my normal volumes. Recently, I moved my sub behind the couch and now I can feel the vibrations much better than before even though I have reduced the volume of it because of it's closer proximity. It still sounds like the bass is coming from the front.

While this may not be the ideal setup for the most balanced sound for the entire room, I only care how it sounds from my sitting position. If you play your system at higher levels then this is probably a moot point.

Technically speaking I suppose that there are some flaws in my logic, but I am only reporting what I have experienced. All my speakers have been adjusted for distance and volume.

As for your initial question of whether to use it or not, try it both ways. Only you can make that decision.

Forum Regular

Whatever Works.

We had a lakefront log chalet in NY that was VERY solidly built, and the ceiling was 20 ft high along the center of the room. The Magneplanars were arrayed along that centerline of the room and I had a VD Servo 15 at each end of the couch. The resulting sound was REALLY accurate. The bass was as solid and deep as one could ever appreciate.

So do whatever works. Each room is different so a different solution will be required.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mash View Post
    I would avoid overlapping speaker frequency ranges, because the sub/satellite cancellation effects are hard to predict even if you know how to calculate them. KEEP IT SIMPLE: limit the smaller speakers to frequencies not handled by the sub.
    This is largely a non issue because each channel has its own bass, and there is not a lot of overlapping of bass between channels. The only time you experience cancellations, is when there are two channels with the same bass signal coming from them, like when you use the phantom mode for the center channel.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

I'm pretty sure bass is 'non-directional'....

Quote Originally Posted by StevenSurprenant View Post
    Just a thought...

While there is an ideal place in the room for a sub, there can be other choices for other reasons.

I don't play my surround as loudly as some people and in a normal configuration for the sub, such as in front, I don't get the room shaking effect at my normal volumes. Recently, I moved my sub behind the couch and now I can feel the vibrations much better than before even though I have reduced the volume of it because of it's closer proximity. It still sounds like the bass is coming from the front.

While this may not be the ideal setup for the most balanced sound for the entire room, I only care how it sounds from my sitting position. If you play your system at higher levels then this is probably a moot point.

Technically speaking I suppose that there are some flaws in my logic, but I am only reporting what I have experienced. All my speakers have been adjusted for distance and volume.

As for your initial question of whether to use it or not, try it both ways. Only you can make that decision.
    ....below 80hz, so the placement of your sub shouldn't make any difference.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish View Post
    ....below 80hz, so the placement of your sub shouldn't make any difference.
    It does make a big difference, even if it is non-directional. Putting the sub in the right place in a room ensures that you have a smooth frequency response over it operating range. The advice of crawling around the room, and placing the subwoofer where it is the loudest is just plain wrong. You do that, and you have just placed your sub in a mode in the room - one of the worst places you can place it.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs