Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

sony PS3, is it any good as a standalone player?

hello there, i am wondering if i can get some feedback on the sony PS3. plenty has been said about it video quality, but i am wondering about its sound quality.

flashback time:

i own the xbox360 at the moment and don't think much of its picture quality, but it was the sound quality of the xbox i found really sucked! lacked the oomph of the proper dvd player i found. so i thought to myself: "i'll buy the sony bdps1 blu ray player! i have 1080p panasonic 50", so i'll get the best of both worlds.... or so i thought. cant complain about its sound or picture reproduction but it takes a hell of a long time to load.

so i thought if the PS3 can produce good sound quality i'll move player to philips 1080p lcd and buy PS3 for the pana.

any feedback will be appreciated. sorry for the long boring post

cheers: dazza

Hey Dazza, I have a PS3 for Bluray movie playback primarily. Other than running warm and having a pretty loud fan when it is really warming up (not a problem if you have good cooling/ventilation) the PS3 is an excellent standalone. I have the Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds live at Radio City Music Hal BD and the PS3 decodes True HD and Master Audio uncompressed audio formats and the sound is incredible. Best economically too, because here you have to pay around 700.00 dollars for a standalone BD player that has the ability to decode the new lossless audio formats (if that is not important to you then buy one of Sony's less expensive BD players but if it is important 'watch out' because Sony cut these formats out of the cheaper players to save money). With PS3 for around 500.00 you get the new audio formats, excellent video, an HT central multifunctional piece, and great gaming to complete the package. I love the PS3 which is doing very well now in sales numbers so it will most likely become a thoroughly supported device well into the future. I have only had mine a few months but it has run perfectly so far. No problems and I love Call of Duty 4 too. Yup-cheers

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by diggity
    ... but i am wondering about its sound quality.
    dazza

How are the DACs in your receiver? The PS3 runs a digital output, either optical or hdmi, so the analog conversion will be done in your receiver/prepro. I've heard it in several configurations and can tell you it's very system dependent.

Captjamo...... you said it runs warm..... since I watch a lot of movies, with no intention of playing games, should I be worried about over-heating? How long during a single sitting do you typically watch/play it?

I have used mine for hours and hours at a time and have never even heard the fan kick in. I have it on top with nothing around it though.
    But you'll need an HDMI system for it to upscale and use the latest sound fields. I am using component cables for video and optical for audio. It still seems very good to me.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

But you'll need an HDMI system for it to upscale and use the latest sound fields
    O.K. since I'm pretty ignorant on the whole thing, here's my connection question. My current DVD player is connected to my Receiver via Fiber Optics for sound, and direct to the T.V. via Component for video. If Video/resolution is my main concern, here's the question.

A) do I connect fiber optic to receiver as I did before for sound, and HDMI to T.V. for video?

B) to get the 720p max resolution can I do this with component, and don't need the HDMI at all?

C) without HDMI in/outs on my receiver, I'm just wasting my time getting Blu-Ray now because I won't be able to run sound through my speakers?

thanks! and as always... sorry I'm an idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by johnny p
    O.K. since I'm pretty ignorant on the whole thing, here's my connection question. My current DVD player is connected to my Receiver via Fiber Optics for sound, and direct to the T.V. via Component for video. If Video/resolution is my main concern, here's the question.
    I'll do the best I can. If I screw up someone will correct me.

A) do I connect fiber optic to receiver as I did before for sound, and HDMI to T.V. for video?
    Yes, this would be my choice. This will let it upscale std def DVD's as well as pass BR at it's best.

B) to get the 720p max resolution can I do this with component, and don't need the HDMI at all?
    You can. I do. But it won't upscale std DVD's. I'd go with the HDMI to the TV.

C) without HDMI in/outs on my receiver, I'm just wasting my time getting Blu-Ray now because I won't be able to run sound through my speakers?
    The optical cable will still give you great sound. It won't be the newest 7.1 sorround fields that are available, but it will pass 5.1 to your AVR the same way your current system does. Your AVR can still create a "fake" 7.1 for you if you prefer it. Mine does this fine. It will work good until I/you get a new HDMI AVR.

thanks! and as always... sorry I'm an idiot!
    You are welcome.
    You are not an idiot. An idiot would not come here and ask questions before the purchase. An idiot would go buy what the Salesperson told them, and then come here and tell us how much better their system is than ours.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

a. yes
    b. yes, you can even pick up PS2 component cables that will work on the PS3 - but you do need HDMI to upscale DVD
    c. no - you can use optical output to your current AVR and still be able to enjoy BR at a higher bitrate than DVD.

I've had my PS3 for over a year and have never had any problems with heat or anything else. Sometimes I have it on all day......maybe even 8 - 10 hours sometimes.

I used component to TV and optical to AVR for about the first 9 months until I got an AVR with that accepted mc pcm via HDMI(v1.1 or up).

Wait, GM go there first I see.

thank you both!!!! So it sounds like I need to get a PS3, and HDMI cable. Connect the HDMI to the T.V. and run the Fiber Optics for the sound to the receiver.

Appreciate the help!!!

Suspended

Gonna pee on yer cornflakes...

There's are article in today's supplement to the Dallas Morning News titled:

"Sony's PS3 struggles to catch up to PS2"

Stats for final December U.S. sales:
    1. Nintendo: 1.35 million Wii's sold
    2. XBOX: 1.26 million 360's sold
    3. PS2: 1.1 million consoles sold
    4. PS3: 798,000 consoles sold
    So it looks to me like the majority of Americans are still buying consoles for their original intention... gaming. The article goes on to say that Sony is still struggling to break even on the PS3, and the PS2 remains by far the company's most successful console.
    Quote Originally Posted by DMN
    But it's also an indictment of the PS3, and a painful reminder that Sony has, so far, managed to disregard every lesson it should have learned from it's past two consoles
    Two points: This is just one reviewer's opinion, and Sony had better hope that the drawing to a close of the format war will prop up PS3 sales.

Me? I'll stick to PC gaming, and eventually buy a Panasonic BD player.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    There's are article in today's supplement to the Dallas Morning News titled:

"Sony's PS3 struggles to catch up to PS2"

Stats for final December U.S. sales:
    1. Nintendo: 1.35 million Wii's sold
    2. XBOX: 1.26 million 360's sold
    3. PS2: 1.1 million consoles sold
    4. PS3: 798,000 consoles sold
    So it looks to me like the majority of Americans are still buying consoles for their original intention... gaming. The article goes on to say that Sony is still struggling to break even on the PS3, and the PS2 remains by far the company's most successful console.

Two points: This is just one reviewer's opinion, and Sony had better hope that the drawing to a close of the format war will prop up PS3 sales.

Me? I'll stick to PC gaming, and eventually buy a Panasonic BD player.
    Pssst.. Rich.. Come're.

He wants to use it as a BR player.

Suspended
    Pssst... G. I know. Just trying to be the devil's advocate.

Edit: And I really had to pee too!!!

Rumor is that there could be another price drop for the PS3 coming. As a gaming system, there IS some catching up to do. But the PS3 is hard to beat when used at it's full potential. The BR capabilities alone are worth it.

well..... I know the 5 free DVD offer ends Jan 31st, so something else might happen after that, but I'm not waiting!!!! I want a Blu-Ray player, and I want it NOW!!!

DOOOOOOOOOON'T CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRE HOOOOOOWWWWWW

I WANT IT NOW!!!!

(My sweet sweet little Veruca Salt)

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Rumor is that there could be another price drop for the PS3 coming. As a gaming system, there IS some catching up to do. But the PS3 is hard to beat when used at it's full potential. The BR capabilities alone are worth it.

I think that's just on the 40GB. (as far as I've read)
    The 40GB and two games of your choice. (some good ones available too)
    All for the same price as they charge for the 40 & one movie now.

Don't know when it starts or if the 80 will get a bundle also or not.

hmmm The story I read didn't mention details, but the 40 gig is fine for me (I'll deal without the SACD capability I guess) heck.... I'll pick one up this weekend..... a lot happens from the car, to the check-out line, so we'll see what I end up with!

Suspended
    Y'all missed a great opportunity to award me a red chicklet. Shame on you!

Y'all?

Dude, you're from Jersey.

Ya'll is southern Ohio round these parts....

hmmm interesting. the gaming side of PS3 isnt a big deal to me, but i do like COD 4, neither is SACD functionality because we don't have much choice in this format down under. but by the sounds of it the PS3 isn't that bad. the amp i have is the yamaha rxv-2700 (not that good compared to some others i have seen in this review i know, but hey i am new to this) so i am thinking using HDMI straight to it, is that what you guys would do?

also, should i wait for the 80Gb to be released? are there any special features it has got over the 40Gb version? will they change their mind and bring out the levitating option?

thanks for all the help so far dudes!

P.S i thought all yanks said " y'all" haha

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Y'all?

Dude, you're from Jersey.
    When in Rome...

I spelled it right diggity.

should i wait for the 80Gb to be released?
    if the 80gb isn't released in Australia yet (I didn't know it wasn't) the only advantage I could find was the 80gb had SACD, played all PS2 games, and I think it might have more/a USB slot on the back, but the 40gb is still bluetooth/wi-fi so it's not a big deal to me.

By all means, no need to wait!

It almost seems that denials like this are the same as an admission of fact. We'll see.

http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/n...fm?NewsID=9329

Quote Originally Posted by diggity
    hmmm interesting. the gaming side of PS3 isnt a big deal to me, but i do like COD 4, neither is SACD functionality because we don't have much choice in this format down under. but by the sounds of it the PS3 isn't that bad. the amp i have is the yamaha rxv-2700 (not that good compared to some others i have seen in this review i know, but hey i am new to this) so i am thinking using HDMI straight to it, is that what you guys would do?

also, should i wait for the 80Gb to be released? are there any special features it has got over the 40Gb version? will they change their mind and bring out the levitating option?

thanks for all the help so far dudes!

P.S i thought all yanks said " y'all" haha
    Hey I have the 2700 and I think it's a great unit Maybe not the "best" but this is a solid unit....well made, plenty of flexibility, excellent sound for HT and really good with music. Do a comparison to the 3800 and you'll see, besides the HD audio decoding, there's no difference. The units are almost identical. I saved major $$$$ going with this, instead of a newer model .........JK

Anyways, yes, run HDMI directly from your PS3 to your 2700. The PS3 does the HD audio decoding and sends the pcm signal via HDMI to your 2700.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information