Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    After slight few IR inferred sensor issues with the commands being sent from the remote control that activates a few functions on the Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX select. I was forced to open it up, to correct the minor difficulty.

I fought it might have been a dry joint on the one of the pins that connects from the IR to the PCB so there was no soldering involved. I took non-metallic plastic object and prodded around with the pins that connect to the IR sensor and PCB to see if anyone one of them was lose, none what so ever.

All that was needed was to push the IR sensor into proper position and that it.

I also cleaned around inside with dust that had settled onto the PCB with duster and vacuum cleaner. Also with the faceplate removed I polished it up to remove smudges and finger makes. Screwed the faceplate back on replaced the outer casing and plugged the cables back into proper operating function.

Oh, what a palaver!

Now that I’m relaxed with (Jean Michel Jarre) “Rendezvous” maybe I can get on with something.

Received my third Alesis RA300 this afternoon and it’s plugged up for the LFE.1 in (bridge mode) only.

Thou slightly behind and other three Alesis RA300 for basic 7.1 configuration isn’t really enough for the requirements as I have a dozen ideas bouncing around in my head.

One thing is clearly evident and that’s the clutter that’s starting to build up! I really need to get those Samson 19” racks and do this with slight bit of professionalism and house all the equipment in the bedroom, with a set of holes drilled though the wall and the cables passed though it for a neat and tidy look.

I’m warming the third Alesis RA300 up the moment with my personal six-track Dolby stereo copy of RAMBO III (1988) that won’t be realised on region 2 DVD till next year.

LCRS bass extension is still be directed to the Eltax A 12-R sub while the JBL 4645 calmly handles LFE.1 effects only.

The prison breakout where John Rambo fails on his first attempt has nice blend of isolated screen front information of rapid machinegun fire grade pin, retracting and being heard to screen left HF! Dialogue speech indelibility is terrific as well to help understand what is happen “loud and clear” thou not ear busting!

I’ve set-up one of two extra JBL Control 5 as pre-five screen fronts a few more amplifiers and Dolby stereo decoders to make it fully functional into two system playback mode for baby boom and five screen discrete matrix that derives information from the centre channel thus making it more clearer as well as extracting part of the half panned left and right information and sending into the (two inner channels, left-centre right-centre.

Tonight’s first test is with the (1982) futuristic nightmarish thriller “Blade Runner” International Theatrical Cut after testing a few scenes out with opening sequences and The Pris Attack where Deckard is taken by surprise only to finish her off with shot to the stomach that resulted in a high pitch frenzy of screaming! A second shot reverberated outwards from taking individual tests of LCR only.

Tested left front with (CR muted) checked SPL db and was satisfied with the improvement I made.

Switching to right front with (LC muted) checked the levels of low while midrange and high HF have a different sound, noted the bass level checked it off the list and moved over to centre.

(Muting LR) while listening carefully to the centre action of her scream and the echo that’s around it and other tiny little details, until Deckard fired another shot that was bit more punchier and milder at the listen area with mild scary sound that rolled over my chest.

Playing the whole scene with LCR and sub bass extension and the LFE.1 track escalated it higher to a disturbing almost sickening point, its not cherry film its fairly violent, but that’s the whole point of the story.

Extended the width of the sidewall surrounds with 4 foot spacing between each one of them, results wow! it totally encompassed with greater uniformity. The bell dong from Underworld (2003) where Seline, puts a few bullets into the werewolf has the bell dong up front then pans to the surrounds with smoothness. A few minor changes in the EQ for the sidewall surrounds was made to get the right amount low end need.

Walking steadily around the room while listening to Star Trek the motion picture original (1979) laserdisc to DVD-RW with only the surrounds playing there is minimal change in the sound, with Jerry Goldsmith’s score “The cloud” THX on/off it’s as if I’m warring “headphones” like a cinema, only in smaller room.

The centre back has remained unchanged because this placement offers the tightest centre back possible without the hole in sound image. There maybe a few cables dangling in the picture but this only to get my bearings, before I start knocking up a small false upper wall to the rear left, the timber will be taken down and fitted with new timber and placed inside the a few inches so that I can place wall with flush look.

I’m also considering repainting the wall, but that won’t help the small reflection and thin layer of absorbent material attached to the walls though the use of wall plugs and just simply screwed up will be better option, as to when I get around to this depends on how hard I save because timber is few bob, and it soon mounts up in cost. Paint, well I’ll repaint the wall a different colour a kinder of warmer colour or I may just go with neutral texture kinder like the Empire, can’t be that hard.

My dad brought around a few chisels so that I switch the door around so that it opens in the opposite direction. The door needs a clean up that I’ll get around to sometime next week with rub down and new piece of door beading. For the meantime its held in place with two screws no chance of falling off.

Question is does it improve the JBL sound hmm, now that is the question?

My dad started the first part just to make sure I haven’t forgotten then left me to finish it off. its only taken about 2 hours to do. This is the first step to revamping the room once the door is all cleaned up I’ll move on to the next phase.

Well what happened, final happened Sooty managed to get stuck inside the JBL 4645!

Early hours of this morning while I generally let Sooty wonder around the room it crawled though one of the three lower ports that is closest to the floor got right inside it where I couldn’t even get my arm inside the port to grab it.

I had to undo all the screws and remove the 18” JBL sub bass to get the kitten out because if was unaware I could have had some music or film playing and that would harm the kitten! [Sigh] **** sakes!

Since getting out [sigh] the little bugger 10 minites after I have replaced the JBL sub bass driver makes another attempt! Only this time, I managed to grab it by the tail hold it while, I stuck my other arm though the other port and pushed it out backwards. Little ****er! And several minutes later it tries it again! [sigh] getting a little pissed off now!

So what I’ve tried now is to block-up one of the ports with a few plastic bags stuffed inside until Sooty, grows bigger and matures a little bit. I’d have to also place a grill over the 18” JBL sub bass driver and the smaller Eltax 12” sub bass driver somehow?

I guess Sooty likes the sound of the JBL 4645. Yesterday while watching The War of the Worlds it walks up and stands in-front of it while the atomic bomb went off weird kitten!?

Cat owner’s block up the port on the sub bass enclosure until kitten is several months old.

Okay another simple DIY improvement to keep the surrounds at high level without it getting out of control and yet maintaining a higher level even with softer sound effects or music and 360° dialogue panning effects.

This is technique I’ve done before at least 6 years ago and it’s been disconnected for a while since I moved. This evening I decided to re-plug the surrounds pre-outputs left and right to the inputs of a disused Ferguson videostar Hi-Fi stereo VCR that has built in (audio limiter) and with a slight extra boost of the output levels to add extra enhancement of lower level effects to the series of x10 JBL control 1 surrounds.

Last weeks demo was "Star Trek Nemesis" (2002) that offers extraordinary surround effects from what you’d expect from a Star Trek feature film.

Most if not all Hi-Fi stereo VCR should have built in audio limiter even a monaural VCR might come equipped with one so if, you feel like trying this out for yourselves its rather easy to set-up.

The best way to explore sound on film soundtracks is though the use of separates where the possibilities are limitless, over standard AVR internal amplifiers.

My cat is strange ole kitten its boy it was given its shots yesterday weighed and measured and was given worming pack a de-flea pack to put on Sooty back. He’ll get another check-up in three weeks.

It was staring at the computer screen looking at the (cursor) as I flip though other forum sites cheeking up on threads.

After trial and error to get my kitten to drink water after many weeks! I managed to get the first picture after weeks and weeks 5 weeks trying to get it to be more normal and to eat and drink! It runs around a lot and it must be parched for water after all that!?

I’ve done some more testing with REW (Room EQ Wizard) and after a bit of (trial and error) I nailed this frequency response that is slightly smoother over the pervious one. Range is smoother and its virtual eliminated some portions of low frequency boom.

The floor tends to vibrate a bit more when bypassing the BFQ2496 and readjusting the sub bass level where its boom I my ear with mild vibration. When switching back to BFQ2496 and adjusting the sub bass level from 0db to +10db, no clipping is evident on the Alesis RA300 all is running smooth. the floor vibrated as well as vibration in the sofa with wormhole sequence from original laserdisc to DVD-RW Star Trek the motion picture Dolby stereo.

Vibration on the TV I noticed a slight vibration emitting from the TV location during quiet moment from the film, as the Enterprise moves though the (Vger cloud) which was only in at a few seconds, after securing the vibration with a few pieces of cardboard placed underneath it.

I really should get this horizontal base platform built and get the speakers off the TV that is bad because it will transmit vibration into it, I should place a second smaller platform above the sub bass by a 1” or place rubber matting underneath it and run a few frequency sweeps at different sound pressure levels to determine or locate any possible vibrations and fix them.

I took graph of the frequency sweep and the corrections that I made also the numbers that I entered into the BFQ2496 parametric EQ.

I guess the vibration was around or between 57Hz to 59Hz. If I was standing a wooden floor it would be real pain in the neck to isolate because the floorboard would flex due to my (body weight) and therefore adjust what ever there is up front, because I’ve run into this issue before at my last crappy home, the floorboards really sucked!

I might get some rubber feet to place underneath the JBL 4645 to minimize floor vibration.

Christmas lights buggered Sooty mugging for the camera yet again!

I tested the lights nearly one by one with a volt meter to see if the connection is broken between one of the lights as their series type and then said sod it! What’s the point the lights are very cheap and affordable and chances are that the light replacement bulbs are no longed made or may not even fit the lights that I’m using.

I’ll get some new ones from ASDA next week as they are real cheap as biscuits today

I could retest each light and if one is not making a circuit connection…easy, just bridge the broken connection and bingo there will be light, but I can’t be asked so…I’ll get some new ones. At least the little tree is up and looking partly decorated.

Late this afternoon Sooty went on climbing expedition. I might not have been JBL K2 LOL but he reached the highest peak on top of the JBL control 5 LOL. He jumped up on the smaller Eltax A 12-R sub bass then up onto the other JBL control 5 then up onto the CRT TV then up onto the JBL control 5 centre front. I had to take a picture just after I noticed he was standing on the TV then the JBL control 5, little bugger. I had to help him down because if I jumped off he might move the JBL control 5 with his back legs and knock it flying LOL.

Maybe Sooty can promote JBL as the purrfect speaker system.

Well I’m kinder of neutral at the moment must be the custard?

Okay just tested out the seating position with the second sub bass Eltax A 12-R and the best is ±1.8db over the seating area with 100Hz tone it was at its weakest on the floor but what of the frequencies below it? I’ll run a few frequency sweeps now and see what I can see.

I tried a location on top of the JBL 4645 results not that good then I tired several where it is placed now but not necessarily in the same space as it is now. I tried three and they produced a very low flow of the signal at 100Hz. room modes truly suck.

A close friend just brought around a SONY KV-X2972U (27” CRT) a few hours ago which has now replaced the Toshiba (20” CRT). I’m a little speechless to say the least. He said he’ll drop the remote off later and I was thinking I have one of those learning universal remotes that I thought had malfunction and I gave it a try. (Yes it accessed the Sony menu features).

The contrast is a bit hot that produced slight bleeding on whites. I adjusted the contrast down that was fairly high on its least preset level.

Colour looks normal when compared with Toshiba. There is slight minor over-scan on the left side of the screen by a small percentage. I’ll see if I can’t adjust the (horizontal variable resistor) later on. A test card needs to be put up on it to see how much error there is on the vertical and horizontal.

Stereo sound on it is fair if not a little narrow due to distance to the seating area and the spacing of the speakers. There are a few basic modes for optimising the stereo sound with (space control) it seems a bit hockey if you ask me, so I leave it in the (off mode).

The image here makes it seem small against the JBL 4645 parked off to the side of it LOL, still it’s a whole lot clear to view than the Toshiba which is still a fine CRT television.

There are assorted modes of SCART inputs which is set in RGB mode at present to offer best picture. There is an S-video input but I don’t have an S-video lead I thought I did not sure of I gave it to my friend a few years ago, no matter I’ll get another S-video lead from D.J. electronics down the road from me. They don’t cost much.

Well I now have new problem! The LCR speakers or left and right needs to be raised up a few inches due to the height of the Sony so its looking around for any resourceful items to place underneath left and right and get the height level correct.

Well I’ve managed to get the height of the left and right within ½ inch that is the best I can do with what I had on hand. I used the lower part of polystyrene that holds the JBL control 1 in place in the carrying box. Again JBL control leaves something in the packing to provide control LOL.

The picture is leaning to one side we just hit an iceberg!! Women and cats first!

All I have to do now is test the sound with pink noise and a few sine wave frequencies to see what needs correcting

One thing that I noticed that was strange was the remote control I brought for £1.99p from G&T at Winton LOL its sending a signal out constantly. You can see this if you have video camera and aim the remote at it and press any of the buttons you’ll see the IR inferred light. A friend in electronics showed me this effect, that only video cameras can see the IR where we can’t, now think about that, hmmm interesting.

So I have to remove one of the batteries to prevent them from going flat!

My dad dropped around a few items this morning one such item may reduce some of the clutter in the living room with this wooden frame table thingy.

I sized up one side of it that might be suitable for the Alesis RA300 amplifiers and more.

I’ll size up an RA300 and if it fits in on one side I’ll start disconnecting the whole system and drilling the holes for the amps rake slot holes, hope they fit?

This is going to take the best part of the day and its pancake day as well, bugger I like pancakes.

I’ll let the CD finish then start disassembling.

“Disassemble! No not disassemble”!

I tried one Alesis RA300 and the screws is no go, so I’ll work a way around that and lay them on top of each other and there is mild heat issues at risk, I’ll keep them well vented to allow airflow around them.

Well that’s it CD as now finished and time to get cracking.

At the present time, with more time, on my hands I’m dealing with the matching LCR yet again with the two subs playing the same range in the low end department 15Hz while the remain frequency response sweeps though up to 16,000kHz.

So far applied a frequency cut on the left channel as it was a bit high between 15Hz and 47Hz a little Q not going to talk about the rest of the sound politics too much until its finalized.

Now I have a few more things to address and attend too. Same technique of “In & Out” I get out of the room while it does the full range sweep, as to not disturb the sound waves.

Also I decided too have a little fun, but being serious at the same time.

Now you channels’ will all be using allies on this EQ. Here are your names.

Left channel you’re Mr Red
    Centre channel you’re Mr. Purple
    Right channel you’re Mr. Blue

Why am I Mr. Purple?

Because you’re a poof, okay.

Why can’t I be Mr. Red?

You’re Mr. Purple!

A close friend called yesterday and asked if I would like a 32” Panasonic CRT FST. I asked how much? £50.00 pounds I asked why and that I’d be surrounded with CRT he laughed and I asked isn’t that your old CRT that evidently he gave to his girlfriend and that she’s got a flat screen now.

So I said done, deal.

Only problem now is? What do I do with the SONY 27” CRT and to think I was just getting used to it.

I have the Toshiba 20” in the bedroom for myself and Sooty my cat. The kitchen is no good as I’m only meters away from each room. I measured/sized it up no way impossible to fit in the kitchen and besides its waste of electricity. I might put it aside on the floor in the bedroom and place the SONY in the bedroom.

Now the other issue is colour strain due to the subs on each side of the front, that’s right there placed back up front again. I’d soon find out if there’s a colour strain issue and I need my friend to stay around for while, while I try out different positions as its rather heavy to lift on your own.

Also this would change the front JBL control 5, height placement. There positioning at present is spot-on for directional hard and half dialogue panning and I’m not about to screw that up because it takes hours to get done right.

The width of the Panasonic will push the JBL 4645 over slightly to the right more, sigh. If I can get the platform built it would help with the LCR placement where I wouldn’t have to stack the JBL control 5 onto tower speakers and empty boxes just so that the height is correct.

Anyway not sure what day he’s bring it over and I’d pay him half now and another half in few weeks and he’s cool about that.

Just placed a small deposit down on an LCD Hitachi CP-X430 video projector that is going was going for £225.00 now only £150.00 to pay off as the owners other half was kinder enough to lower it to £200.00.

I’ll figure out what to do with it when I pick it up after final payment which, should be around May 2009.

Bulb is new in the projector and finding a supplier like eBay or other as it would need back-up bulb and kitty box, to save up for the next bulb. I was told the cost is around £300.00 whoa! It’s no different than a cinema projector expect specifications of course.

I’ll figure out a design to secure it to the ceiling at the back or wherever to give its optimum brightness and size width or diagonal size on diy screen.

Well its something I’ve kinder wanted for nearly almost 10 years now.

Just found a site that stocks spare parts wow £216 whew that’s an expressive bulb
    http://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/proj...ctor_Lamp.html

I’ll keep this link for reference use later on.

Can’t seem to find a pdf file or users manual on this model as of yet.

Found this piece of information on it. It’s just too wet my, appreciate for now.

The manual for Hitachi CP-X430 LCD projector is not from Hitachi.us because the link to the manual in Hitachi website is not found. Reason being [The link from the referring page may be either invalid, the URL may have been mistyped or the page may have moved due to our redesign.].

Thus I tried to search from other website and finally I found a copy on touchboards.com

Inside the manual you will find these aspects on CP X430:
    Before use: here you can check on the content of the package
    Installation: cabling and example of system setup
    Operation: basic operation and menu options
    Maintenance: Lamp, air filter and other maintenance
    Troubleshooting, specification and warranty.
    Specification of CP-X430

Item Specification
    Product name Liquid crystal projector
    Panel size 2.3 cm (0.9 type)
    Drive system TFT active matrix
    Pixels CP-X430:786,432 pixels (1024 horizontal x 768 vertical)
    CP-S420:480,000 pixels (800 horizontal x 600 vertical)

Lens Zoom lens F=1.7 ~ 2.1 f=36.8 ~ 47.8 mm
    Lamp 250 W UHB
    Speaker 1.0W+1.0W (stereo)
    Power supply AC100 ~ 120V, 4.5A / AC220 ~ 240V, 1.9A
    Power consumption 410W
    Temperature range 0 ~ 35°C (Operating)
    Size 360 (W) x 106 (H) x 256.5 (D) mm
    Weight (mass) 4.5 kg
    RGB IN Video: Analog 0.7Vp-p, 75? terminator (positive)
    H/V. sync.: TTL level (positive/negative)

Composite sync.: TTL level

D-sub 15-pin shrink jack

DVI (CP-X430 only) TMDS, DC: 150~1200 mV / AC: 1.56 Vp-p
    TTL Level (Positive/Negative)

AUDIO IN 200mVrms, 50 k? (max. 3.0Vp-p)
    Stereo mini jack

VIDEO IN 1.0Vp-p, 75? terminator
    RCA jack

S-VIDEO IN Brightness signal: 1.0Vp-p, 75? terminator
    Color signal: 0.286Vp-p (NTSC, burst signal),75? terminator

0.300Vp-p (PAL/SECAM, burst signal),75? terminator

Mini DIN 4-pin jack

COMPONENT VIDEO Y - 1.0 Vp-p, 75ohm Terminator (Positive)
    CB/PB - 0.7 Vp-p, 75ohm Terminator (Positive)

CR/PR - 0.7 Vp-p, 75ohm Terminator (Positive)

AUDIO IN L - 200mVrms, 50 k ohm (max. 3.0Vp-p)
    R - RCA jack

RGB OUT Video: Analog 0.7Vp-p, 75? output impedance (positive)
    H/V. sync.: TTL level (positive/negative)

Composite sync.: TTL level

D-sub 15-pin shrink jack

AUDIO OUT 200mVrms, output impedance 1 k ohm (max. 3.0Vp-p)
    Stereo mini jack

Control functions CONTROL - D-sub 15-pin shrink plug
    USB - USB jack (B type)

Optional Parts Lamp: DT00471
    Air Filter: NJ06131

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information