Forum Regular

Signal Drops on RX-V1400

I have an RX-V1400. While watching a DVD I get audio signal drops occasionally; All audio cuts out for a second. I was using a cheepo Magnavox DVD player using the coax out. So, took the player back and installed a new, better(?), Sony player. Did not try new player yet. Was watching HBO last night on digital cable, also utilizing the coax out and was still getting signal drops. Boy is wife po'd now because I told her it was the cheap DVD player and we needed to upgrade.

So while HBO was playing I went to my cabinet and watched what the receiver was doing on the display when the signal dropped. It looked like the receiver was trying to change the DSP program.

This issue has never occurred while watching analog programming off of the Digital Cable Box.

Does this sound like a faulty receiver?

Is the receiver trying to switch to a DSP that is more compatible to the signal sent other than the one I have selected?

I am using coax cable made from RG-6 with an F-connecter to rca adapters on both components. Could this be my issue?

I am not a cable elitist (I'm cheap) but would better cables(pre-made) solve my issue?

Oh and this happens at any volume level.

Forum Regular
    It is an unusual problem where the receiver is trying to change a DSP program by itself. Nonetheless, I'd try the following. Set the receiver in plain two channel stereo and see what happens. If you still incur dropouts then try changing the coax cable. Audio dropouts from CDs at the begining of an audio track are very common but not in the middle of a song or a cable program.

Forum Regular

check batteries

Try changing the batteries in the remote. My Yamaha tends to have a mind of its own when the batteries get very low. Judging buy the model number I'm guessing you are using the crappy batteries that came with the unit.

Sounds like there's some kind of signal dropout occurring. It happens on occasion with my Yamaha as well (most typically during layer transitions on DVDs), but nowhere near as frequently as you're saying. First thing I would try is go to the setup menu and have the auto mode detect set to automatically default to the last format used so that it doesn't constantly hunt for a change in sound format. The type of dropout you're noting might be the receiver thinking that the signal format has changed when it detects any momentary signal interruption.

The unit's still under warranty, so you might want to contact Yamaha and see if they've identified any problems with the new processor chip in that receiver since your receiver's the first model that uses that design. Otherwise, try a different digital cable first and see if things improve.

Last year, HBO had a lot of drop feeds on their 5.1 tranmissions (Directvf). They seem to have resolved most of the problems now. So, it may be your cable connection at fault. Good Luck.

Forum Regular

rx-v1400 dropout

hey mpm 32, i also have the 1400 and experience the same drop out while watching dvds. It happens both vian optical and coaxial cords. Ive also tried 3 different dvd players, both droping out anywhere in the dvd and at any time. Id go as far as to say its a fault with the 1400 if you have the same unit and experiencing the same problem. Id bet my left testicle that the drop out will still happen with your new sony player.
    My unit is currently at yamaha being reviewed.
    Quote Originally Posted by mpm32
    I have an RX-V1400. While watching a DVD I get audio signal drops occasionally; All audio cuts out for a second. I was using a cheepo Magnavox DVD player using the coax out. So, took the player back and installed a new, better(?), Sony player. Did not try new player yet. Was watching HBO last night on digital cable, also utilizing the coax out and was still getting signal drops. Boy is wife po'd now because I told her it was the cheap DVD player and we needed to upgrade.

So while HBO was playing I went to my cabinet and watched what the receiver was doing on the display when the signal dropped. It looked like the receiver was trying to change the DSP program.

This issue has never occurred while watching analog programming off of the Digital Cable Box.

Does this sound like a faulty receiver?

Is the receiver trying to switch to a DSP that is more compatible to the signal sent other than the one I have selected?

I am using coax cable made from RG-6 with an F-connecter to rca adapters on both components. Could this be my issue?

I am not a cable elitist (I'm cheap) but would better cables(pre-made) solve my issue?

Oh and this happens at any volume level.

Forum Regular
    this happened to my rxv 2400 while playing dts sources. it happens once through out a movie for a sec. on a few movies. should i be worrying about this? its possible that its the dvd player...

Thread Information