AR Newbie Registered Member

Shielding needed?

I am trying to figure out
    a) if I will need to magnetically shield the center channel speaker I am planning to buy, and
    b) if I do need to shield it, how I should do so.

Here are the details.
    1. I have a 32-inch CRT TV (JVC, recent model) in my lovely pressed-wood home entertainment center.
    2. On a shelf directly above the TV are two other audio components (VCR and audio cassette deck)
    3. Above this, on top of said lovely pressed-wood home entertainment center, sits my receiver (Yamaha HTR 5730, 100 watts)

The only place that I have to mount my center channel speaker is above all this, on the wall. If I do this, the bottom edge of the speaker will be about 18" away from the top of the television, but... in between the speaker and the TV will be all the components described above, plus two 1" thick lovely pressed-board shelves.

Disclaimers/miscellaneous notes: I really would like to go with the Boston A70 as my center, despite the fact that it is bulky and unshielded, because I love the sound of the old Boston A series, and want to match it with my other Boston speakers. But I'm a little worried: will this damage my television? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

All center channel are shielded as far as I know.They are made to be near TV.

Suspended
    Shielded speakers use "bucking magnets" which are attached to the woofer's magnets in reverse polarity to neutralize its field. Many speaker companies offer these magnets for shielding purposes. Contact BA to see what they recommend.

Thread Information