Forum Regular

monitors in home theater in place of speakers

Has anyone ever tried using monitors instead of speakers for their H/T? It actually might be real interesting seeing how their purpose is to expose every sound the way it is as oppose to speakers. I'm sure you'll hear sounds you never knew was there

Monitors ARE speakers...

...as far as I can tell. In many cases, the term "monitor" is a marketing designation. If you like the sound, go ahead. Enjoy.

By "monitor" what are you referring to? That terminology is pretty vague and can refer to any number of things -- nearfield studio monitor, stage monitor, live audio monitor, self-powered monitor, etc. Using a nearfield monitor, which is designed for upclose listening at a mixing board, will sound very different than something intended for live sound reinforcement.

You can't put a monitor in place of a speaker. A speaker is what you use to listen to music, while a monitor hooks to your computer so you can see what you're typing. Two totally different things.

Forum Regular
    Now N. you might be able to get those monitors to make a humming noise....and dont forget those old school monitors that had the speakers built in...now that would be stunning.

Forum Regular
    It's my understanding that monitor speakers (like the kind used in recording studios) are usually powered (ie. they have their own amp built in and plug into a wall). This may make it difficult to use them with a conventional receiver. But, if you can do it, and you prefer the sound of your monitor speakers, then go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by durry
    Now N. you might be able to get those monitors to make a humming noise....and dont forget those old school monitors that had the speakers built in...now that would be stunning.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader3k
    It's my understanding that monitor speakers (like the kind used in recording studios) are usually powered (ie. they have their own amp built in and plug into a wall). This may make it difficult to use them with a conventional receiver. But, if you can do it, and you prefer the sound of your monitor speakers, then go for it.
    It depends on the monitor. There are many that are powered, but many that are not. With the powered ones, if your receiver has pre outs, you can hook the powered ones up just like you would with a separate amplifier. With the non powered ones, you hook them up just like you would with a regular speaker.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by endrid
    Has anyone ever tried using monitors instead of speakers for their H/T? It actually might be real interesting seeing how their purpose is to expose every sound the way it is as oppose to speakers. I'm sure you'll hear sounds you never knew was there
    The only problem that you might have is not being able to timbre match your front/centers. As for hearing sounds you never knew were there, you're probably hoping for too much.

Forum Regular
    I was actually making a joke in response to the post before mine about monitors(the computer type) The other poster was making a pun and i was playing off of it If my memory serves Genelec is used by many recording studios as a "monitor." But they are truely top notch for home listening as well theatre or 2 channel.

Forum Regular

These guys sale monitor speakers for Home Theater use

Quote Originally Posted by endrid
    Hello,
    I have not done it, but I talked with a guy at accessories4less and they sell monitor speakers for complete hometheater systems. Go to the website and call them. Ask about using these monitors for Hometheater. (I am thinking about using seven of the 6.2. but I have to figure out how to mount them on the wall since they are each 24 inches high and I don't want speakers on stands). They sell Fosgate Audionics speaker monitors for Hometheater use. www.accessories4less.com.

Teddy

"Monitor" in this application is marketing hype. If they sound good to you, that's really all that matters. Just make sure you hear them first.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Of course he is talking about "studio monitor" kind of speakers not a computer monitor.
    All kidding aside, a lot of companies have a line they call "monitors" which are their high end speakers. Check out paradigm's Studio speakers, for example. If you can afford these, go for it. For the same money you will get smaller speakers in the premium line which should sound better than the more affordable versions of the same in the non-premium range.

Thread Information