MCF
    Forum Regular

Setting phase for sub?

What is the best way to do it? I have an SVS PB12+ (I think that is the model) - 2 downfiring 12's with equalizer, gain adjust and phase adjust. The enclosure is about 2 feet behind couch and off to the left about 3' (from edge of couch). If I sit in middle of couch (ideal viewing location) I get a good amount of bass, but if I move to the far right of the couch, the bass is abuot 2-3 times more...now I understand why my wife is always saying we have too much bass...she is getting the blunt of it and I am getting the 'leftovers'...hehehe...right now I have it at about 100 deg...that is if straight up is 90 deg (which I believe it is).

Crank it up, dude! huh? hydroman's Avatar
    Not a phase problem (peaks at certain frequencies - because it combines woth front speakers) but this is a placement problem. If you still want to change the phase - reverse the pos/neg on the front speakers.

For placement - keep moving it until she is satisfied.... Others know WAY more about placement than i do. I defer [bows down].
    H/K AVR635 7.1
    Denon DVD900
    AE AEGIS III Mains
    ION USB Turntable w/ Shure M97XE
    15" Titanic III Sealed Enclosure Sub
    Dayton Rackmount 1000W :O
    Denon Surrounds
    Sony Bravia KDL40S2000

Quote Originally Posted by MCF
    What is the best way to do it? I have an SVS PB12+ (I think that is the model) - 2 downfiring 12's with equalizer, gain adjust and phase adjust. The enclosure is about 2 feet behind couch and off to the left about 3' (from edge of couch). If I sit in middle of couch (ideal viewing location) I get a good amount of bass, but if I move to the far right of the couch, the bass is abuot 2-3 times more...now I understand why my wife is always saying we have too much bass...she is getting the blunt of it and I am getting the 'leftovers'...hehehe...right now I have it at about 100 deg...that is if straight up is 90 deg (which I believe it is).
    A photo of the room would be helpful, along with seating distance and room dimensions. Bass crawling would be the best approach but confirmation with an SPL meter and a test CD\DVD would also be advised for flattest frequency response across the seating area.

Thread Information