AR Newbie Registered Member

Samsung HT - SK5

I just bought a new 56" Samsung Plasma Screen TV and the 5 Disc Home Theatere system.

When I hooked everything up, ( I have the DVD player routed through Componet Cables and the Digital Cable routed through S Video) Everything will work fine until I watch a movie that carries a lot of base.

When this happens the unit will shut off and I have to restart the movie or try to remember the chapter I was on to resume the movie.

I cannot figure out why it does this.

The only speaker that did not come with the unit i am using is one other base speaker. (Sony)

Help?

First, remember that you will not receive HD, or any progressive, broadcasts via S-video, which is an analog format. Second, you don't mention anything about the equipment and connections that you're using for your audio or where your video connections dock. Do you have a Samsung home theater system with five speakers, a DVD player, and a receiver to go along with your plasma? How and where does everything hook up? More info please. Then maybe someone can help.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edtyct
    First, remember that you will not receive HD, or any progressive, broadcasts via S-video, which is an analog format. Second, you don't mention anything about the equipment and connections that you're using for your audio or where your video connections dock. Do you have a Samsung home theater system with five speakers, a DVD player, and a receiver to go along with your plasma? How and where does everything hook up? More info please. Then maybe someone can help.

I have the Samsung 5 DVD/Home Theatre system...I'm using the speakers that came with the Home theater system...I only added one speaker to it which is the siny base (that I have tucked away in the corner for the full theater effect)

Everything hooks up in the back and came with connections...I actually spliced the base speaker into the wires for the orginal base speaker.

Here's my guess without any details. Since I assume that the subwoofer is passive, relying on the receiver for its power, and that the original Samsung subwoofer's characteristics were mated specifically to the receiver's capabilities, the spliced in Sony is causing the receiver to shut down. Take the Sony out of the mix and see if you can get the original subwoofer (or something that matches its characteristics).

Thread Information