Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Suspended

Purchased the RX-V3800

The deal at 6th Ave. Electronics was just too good to pass up. The $501 off coupon and free shipping were the deal makers. I feel I did the proper research about the company (they ARE factory authorized according to the Yamaha website), so if there are any problems with the unit I'm comfortable that I'll get fair treatment from them. They're based in New Jersey too.

The 3800 is the power output winner over the Onkyo 805, Integra DTC 7.8, Denon AVR-2808, and obviously the Yamaha 1800. With a 140 wpc rating, it's a network receiver and has a front USB port. If it only had a DVD drive I could play Doom3 on it. One of my concerns about the above mentioned receivers, though not necessarily a deal breaker was their weight. The specs of my audio cabinet say no more than 40 lbs, and the Onkyo unit was 60 lbs. The 3800 = 38 lbs. As mentioned before, I know I'd be happy with anything after using my little HTR 5740 for three years; I'm used to the all-in-one psychology since I've never owned separates, and I'm confident and comfortable with the Yamaha brand.

So thanks again to everyone who gave advice and had patience with me during my search and decision making process, and a big shout out to AR's own L.J. Thanks again for the tips L.J, your cookies are on the FedEx truck!

(Note to self: Find the person who turned me onto this website and break their neck!!!)

Congrats Tex,

I'm sure you will love your new unit. It should give you more headroom than your HTR as well as some added flexability.
    You're going to love the auto-set-up as well as that memory feature.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Sweet!!!!! Your gonna be happy with that unit and now you got all kinds of future flexibility. The GUI is really nice and there is alot of adjustability and tweaking available.

Now all you gotta is take that $100 savings and pick up a BFD with it

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.

Dmit! I still need one. My birthday is in August.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Sweet!!!!! Your gonna be happy with that unit and now you got all kinds of future flexibility. The GUI is really nice and there is alot of adjustability and tweaking available.

Yeah, like I said...
    Quote Originally Posted by the 401k kid
    (Note to self: Find the person who turned me onto this website and break their neck!!!)

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Dmit! I still need one. My birthday is in August.
    Didn't you once tell me I could pick something off your A/V shelf when I reached my 500th post?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Didn't you once tell me I could pick something off your A/V shelf when I reached my 500th post?
    That was LJ.

Suspended
    That was LJ.
    Why is L.J. on your shelf?

Why is L.J. on your shelf?
    He's a handy guy to have around the house. He can fix anything.

Suspended
    Yeah well, if he wasn't on your shelf maybe you'd have more money. Just a thought...

What are you suggesting?

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    That Yamaha is one great receiver and in my opinion the best bang for the buck in that price range. Great choice!

RR6

Suspended
    Thanks RR6. The price was right and it shipped (free) today.

I suggest GM that you ship him to my house so he can help me set up my receiver. He and it should arrive at about the same time if you pack him up today. Sound good lemme know.

man.... I just looked that thing up....... ME WANTS ONE........

B & W Matrix 804 mains (left speaker missing because of Mel's advice)
    Mine is on the front porch, you must have misunderstood him.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny p
    Mine is on the front porch, you must have misunderstood him.
    Are you sure it's still there johnny p?

Thanks RR6. The price was right and it shipped (free) today.

I suggest GM that you ship him to my house so he can help me set up my receiver. He and it should arrive at about the same time if you pack him up today. Sound good lemme know.
    He doesn't ship well. But if you offer him a few beers he may just show up.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny p
    ME WANTS ONE........
    Me too. It's a great AVR at that price.

Suspended
    He doesn't ship well. But if you offer him a few beers he may just show up.
    I thought he was a wino myself. Beer, wine... whatever.

Rich install should be a snap. You do have some major tweak options but you can slowly get into that. The GUI is very easy to navigate through and you even get to see pretty pictures of what your adjusting. The auto setup should be spot on as far as distances and levels are concerned. You may have to mess around with the sub a little though.

The hardest part is probably gonna be connecting everything. Please tell me you use banana plugs.

When's this baby gonna show up? Pics, pics, pics......get your camera ready.

GM.....shouldn't you have one of these on the way?

Yes, I should, but I can't.
    I have more than just mental issues this year. All upgrades are on hold until further notice.

Suspended
    Property taxes and income taxes would be my guess.

The bank screwed up the construction payments to the builder.

Suspended
    Rich install should be a snap. You do have some major tweak options but you can slowly get into that. The GUI is very easy to navigate through and you even get to see pretty pictures of what your adjusting. The auto setup should be spot on as far as distances and levels are concerned. You may have to mess around with the sub a little though.
    Good. Me likes pretty pictures! I'm sooooo looking forward to just pushing a button or two and letting YPAO do its thing. My 5740 didn't have this feature and you know me = dumba$$.

The hardest part is probably gonna be connecting everything. Please tell me you use banana plugs.
    Afraid not. I use the bare wire insertion method, but, and I was going to mention this earlier, the receiver comes with a nifty little speaker terminal wrench so I can put some torque (but not too much torque) on the connection at the receiver.

When's this baby gonna show up? Pics, pics, pics......get your camera ready.
    It shipped today via DHL. I've never dealt with DHL before but I'm going to make sure I'm home when it arrives. The camera will be ready.

I was talking before about running some coax from my PC to the receiver in order to get MP3's to it via a digital coax in at the receiver but after reading about the network connectivity, I can use Windows Media Player 11 and select the device somehow (have to research that one a bit), then stream the content to it. I'm only buying DRM free MP3's these days so I shouldn't have any problems from that perspective.

GM.....shouldn't you have one of these on the way?
    Quote Originally Posted by President Reagan
    Well, there you go again {L.J.}

congrats dude you WILL love it! if the gui is the same as my 2700, like L.J said it is easy to navigate. hope you enjoy

cheers: dazza

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information