AR Newbie Registered Member

Design Help Needed

This is my first post though i have read through 1000 pages on this forum i have never found the answer to my question but please forgive me if it has been beat to death.

Set up: Here is the system that i am thinking of purchasing in the next couple months if all goes well, please if you have any suggestions on any items let me know.

Listening style : All kinds of music but mainly for movies.

Reciever - Marantz sr5001xm
    Fronts - Paradigm studio20
    Center - Paradigm CC570
    Surrounds - ADP 470
    Sub - SVS SB12 Plus
    Monitor - Still looking

So here i my main question. I will have this set up to the Reciever. I also have 2 speakers in my kitchen and 2 speakers outside. I would ideally like to run my Ht system for movies and be able to use the fronts, sub for music. But when i have guests over i would like to be able to use the fronts, sub, speakers in the kitchen and the ones outside.... all running the same music. Is that possible and how would you hook it up? Also i have to have the capability to turn off the speakers outside so the neighbors dont get too pissed after 10pm.

Wire? I am guessing that i need to use some type of shielded wire for my install since i will be running it throught the attic and walls. Any suggestions on a reasonable way to go with this. I have no plan on spending $3 a foot for speaker wire.

Finally my last question the above system would cost a little more than the monitor line with the 70s or the 90s i think. Would it be better to get that system with the floor standing speakers or would the 20s just blow them away in quality?

Thanks... sorry if it is jumbled i have more questions than answers and am late to work..... Thanks for all the help in advance

Quote Originally Posted by azshoer
    So here i my main question. I will have this set up to the Reciever. I also have 2 speakers in my kitchen and 2 speakers outside. I would ideally like to run my Ht system for movies and be able to use the fronts, sub for music. But when i have guests over i would like to be able to use the fronts, sub, speakers in the kitchen and the ones outside.... all running the same music. Is that possible and how would you hook it up? Also i have to have the capability to turn off the speakers outside so the neighbors dont get too pissed after 10pm.
    You can hook up your outside and kitchen speakers to Zone 2 and Zone 3, if your avr has it, and play whatever you want in those zones regardless of what is playing on your main system. Hook up is straight-forward and labeled on the back panel.

Wire? I am guessing that i need to use some type of shielded wire for my install since i will be running it throught the attic and walls. Any suggestions on a reasonable way to go with this. I have no plan on spending $3 a foot for speaker wire.
    Good 'ol 12ga should be fine. Home Depot outdoor extension cord is also used, just clip off the male and female ends. This exact cable was very favorably reviewed by Paul Seydor in the TAS wire shoot-out and is also used by a quite a few pro's.

Finally my last question the above system would cost a little more than the monitor line with the 70s or the 90s i think. Would it be better to get that system with the floor standing speakers or would the 20s just blow them away in quality?
    What do your ears tell you? Is the better bass of the 90's more important the the improved refinement of the 20's? If it were me, I'd go for the 20's, but I'm more into music than movies.

Hope this helps.

Forum Regular
    if the receiver has a powered second zone, you just need a good 4 channel speaker selector. Wire---use UL rated 14 gage 2 conductor with a jacket( protective covering) specifically for in-wall usage. Speakers---as Topspeed said " what do your ears tell you?" as for me, Floorstanding always

Thread Information