AR Newbie Registered Member

Equipment Suggestions for a 3.1 Setup???

I'm new to home theater and confused as to what I need. I'm wanting to have a center speaker, two front sides and a sub for my new plasma TV. I'm not wanting the rear speakers because of space and aesthetics (wife), and I'm not looking for real high-end equipment. Do I purchase an amp for 5.1? My understanding is that the 5.1 means a total of 6 speakers that include a sub. Not to confuse things, but I presently have a Pioneer SA-900 stereo amp along with two Pioneer CS-99 speakers (15" woofer 5-way system) that I purchased 30 years ago but still sounds great. Is it possible to use some or all of what I have or purchase all new equipment exclusively for the TV? The recent posts on the Pioneer VSX1016TXVK look really nice. Any help would be appreciated.
    George

Suspended
    I'd say get all new equipment. For the following reasons, you probably will not find a matching center channel for your older speakers, I am one who firmly believes that optimum HT performance is had by matching (voice match/timbre match) speakers; you can buy an entry level, if not used, 5.1 receiver cheap, $199.00 and up new.

I personally would recommend going ahead with the rear speakers, on some soundtracks it is quite fun. Have you considered "in wall" or ceiling speakers for the rear? They may not be most people's first choice but it's better than none. A HT receiver will allow you to send the rear low frequencies to the sub. How can the wife object to rear speakers when you have those monster mains?

If rear is definitely out and you want to use your equipment, one other option, you can buy used Pro Logic processors dirt cheap. These will operate through your existing receivers tape monitor loop. Pro Logic will provide your front 3 channels just fine. The only draw back is not being able to use digital audio connection from DVD to receiver and possibly an odd matched center speaker. When looking for the Pro Logic processor you will need one with amplification, something to drive the center channel. Yamaha was very big on these and should fit the bill if you decide to go this route. Check www.audiogon.com or ebay.com.

Ok, I had a feeling that new equipment would be the answer. Plus I'll go with rear speakers and a 5.1 amp. That being said, I guess I should keep my current equipment for playing stereo and the new equipment for TV sound; does this sound right?

yes, keep the stereo, use the new toys for the tv and movies.

also, for the new equipment, do you already have a possible idea of what you'll be buying?
    we could help you with that if you want too.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Basite,
    Not much of an idea of what to get. Someone mentioned a nice Pioneer amp for $399 but I now understand that it's not 5.1 gear, something higher like 6.1 or 7.1. I would prefer getting a 5.1 unit around $300 to $400. As far as speakers, seems like I should get something manufactured by a company that specializes in speakers rather than electronics - a company like AR, Boston or Polk; correct me if I'm wrong here. Maybe about the same amount of money for the speakers as the amp. Do you think I'm in the ballpark?

an amp for 300 - 400 that's no problem, but 5 speakers and a sub for the same price might be a little to less, i'll search a little on the speakers, maybe, i think that you'll be best spending that in the fronts (and the sub), and then expand your system.

peace,
    Basite.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Forum Regular
    dump the old Pioneer, purchase a entry level 5.1 receiver with features that you'll actually use, then get yourself the Polk audio Soundbar with a good matching sub ( PSW404 ?).
    That setup will give you 5.1 surround from one speaker enclosure ( for the surround to really take effect you will need to shorten your viewing distance).

Thread Information