AR Newbie Registered Member

Pioneer Home theatre system

I've decided to buy a pioneer home theatre system. I am in college right now and not a lot of money to blow. It's the best I can do. I really am fond of the Pioneer systems at walmart. I was wondering what the REAL difference is between the Pioneer HTP-2500 and the HTP-2600 system? Can anyone help me?

HTP-2500

HTP-2600

Thanks for the help!

-Thad

I recommend not going that route. I have buddies with systems exactly like that and they're having all kinds of problems. Sub rattling like crazy at high volumes and the unit goes into protect mode often. They're both speaking of upgrading. Walmart does have a 90 day return policy, so you can always try it out, if that's what you have your heart set on.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

It looks like one is in stock

Quote Originally Posted by ambrosiaspen
    I've decided to buy a pioneer home theatre system. I am in college right now and not a lot of money to blow. It's the best I can do. I really am fond of the Pioneer systems at walmart. I was wondering what the REAL difference is between the Pioneer HTP-2500 and the HTP-2600 system? Can anyone help me?

HTP-2500

HTP-2600

Thanks for the help!

-Thad
    And the other isn't

Either way, I wouldn't expect much in the way of sound quality from these HTIB sets. If you know that going in then you OK.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    HTIB is certainly not the best route to go, but the price is pretty decent. I can't see any major differences between the two systems.

Just a warning: the speakers are going to be junk. BUT, in this case, the receiver is a pretty solid one (I have something similar and am very happy with it), so you can always buy some new speakers later.

If you're interested in other options, Onkyo has a similar system that I've heard a lot of good things about. At one point, it was 179 shipped:

http://www.shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?...il=1&ext_war=0
    I can take what’s being given
    I can down whatever comes
    I will do what you deem necessary
    My fear compels me

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by caniac
    HTIB is certainly not the best route to go, but the price is pretty decent. I can't see any major differences between the two systems.

Just a warning: the speakers are going to be junk. BUT, in this case, the receiver is a pretty solid one (I have something similar and am very happy with it), so you can always buy some new speakers later.

If you're interested in other options, Onkyo has a similar system that I've heard a lot of good things about. At one point, it was 179 shipped:

http://www.shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?...il=1&ext_war=0

Then what do you suggest I get for about $200? Walmart seems they way to go. They are cheap and cheap is what i can afford. I do not wish to buy online. But places like Circuit City, Best Buy, Walmart, Sams Club, Sears etc are good. Please help...

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

For $200 your choices are limited

Quote Originally Posted by ambrosiaspen
    Then what do you suggest I get for about $200? Walmart seems they way to go. They are cheap and cheap is what i can afford. I do not wish to buy online. But places like Circuit City, Best Buy, Walmart, Sams Club, Sears etc are good. Please help...
    The only other choice would be a boom-box.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

If this is going to be for use in college where is will be susceptible to being banged around, vomited upon, and.or stolen, then by all means go the cheapy route (but don't buy from Wal-mart as they're evil). However, after you graduate and settle into your own, perhaps more stable abode, please come back and inquire on what would be a more appropriate and fabulous sounding system.

If you go mail order and dont have to have surround sound then go with these items. Plus it will be at your budget. Give or take 20 to 40 bucks. Maybe less who knows.

Pioneer - S-H253B - 80.00pr at Circuit City web site. 8" way speakers.
    Onkyo - TX8011 - 89.99 at JR..com website. 50 watt 2 channel receiver.
    Find a cheap 50 dollar DVD player and plug it in to the receiver.

Not the best equipment but it will sound better than a cheesy HTIB.

Just an option and food for thought.

Forum Regular
    The Sony HTIB, available at most retail outlets for $199 seems to get good reviews. Some Radio Shacks (in my area) have an Onkyo 5.1 setup for $199! Just remember that most HTIBs have limited connectivity, so adding more components will be a problem. CC has a Pioneer vsx-515 you can get on sale for as low as $130. Just add a couple of bookshelves and a cheap dvd player. CC also has Pioneer bookshelves for around $30 a pair, a center channel for $50. Just get what you need for sound at this point. You can get a better sounding system by adding better fronts and moving the bookshelves to the rear later. At any rate, I believe buying almost any speakers separately will give you better results than the ones included in most budget HTIBs.

Forum Regular
    Defshep, I was just going to mention that. I saw that same Pioneer receiver today at CC 130 (open box).

Those new Pioneer speakers look half decent too. They even put binding posts on those things now........although the non-removable grilles make me wonder a little.
    I can take what’s being given
    I can down whatever comes
    I will do what you deem necessary
    My fear compels me

Forum Regular
    I know it will be more than $200, but for $650 you could have something so much better its not funny. The Klipsch quintet is $299 at Vann's: http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ures/544099415

You can get a decent receiver for maybe $200, and then the Dayton sub at Parts Express for around $150. Just throwing an idea out there. If you get this system it is something that will last you a while. That pioneer setup is something you will want to upgrade right away.

I would save up some money and not get the Pioneer setup. Those pioneer speakers leave a lot to be desired.

luvs2jam60

I DEFINITELY know where you're coming from ambrosiaspen

I'm a sophmore in school too, and believe me, I know where you're coming from. It kills you to buy something like that cause you know its either gonna sound lousy or blow up in the first couple party uses. I took kind of a different route and built my HT setup from the ground up, and it doesn't sound that bad. Its a JBL bookshelf system with a Pioneer 815 receiver and JBL sub. My advice to you, buy a cheapo receiver and find some speakers that will take abuse. I dunno about you, but me and my roomate have my receiver on probably 8-10 hours per day, not to mention the festivities on the weekends. You need something thats gonna last doing something like that. Online retailers are probably your best bet, like etronics.com or jr.com or somethin' like that. Get yourself a cheapo receiver under $150 and a pair of bookshelfs with the rest of the money that you know you can abuse. I used to have an old-school pair of Bose 301s I inherited from my dad and within the first two weeks of school, the cones practically seperated completely from their surrouds. Trust me, its just a temporary thing until you get out of school. Until then, you gotta think ahead and think of not so much sound quality vs. value but how long your components will last in a college environment.

Thread Information