Forum Regular

Pioneer Elite Receiver VSX-55TXi

It's time to swap out the Denon 3802 for something new. The Pioneer Elite looks like an awesome receiver, although only 100 wpc. (Not that you really need much more than with the right speakers in a small studio apartment like mine.) What's the word on Pioneer Elite in terms of quality and performance? I've had my Denon for just over 2 years now and it has worked flawlessly. Hoping for similar in the Pioneer Elite or perhaps another middle of the road (price-wise) receiver. Appreciate your input.

Of course, links are welcome.

Lightbulb Pioneer Elite

[QUOTE=Bumpin_on_Sunset]It's time to swap out the Denon 3802 for something new. The Pioneer Elite looks like an awesome receiver, although only 100 wpc. (Not that you really need much more than with the right speakers in a small studio apartment like mine.) What's the word on Pioneer Elite in terms of quality and performance? I've had my Denon for just over 2 years now and it has worked flawlessly. Hoping for similar in the Pioneer Elite or perhaps another middle of the road (price-wise) receiver. Appreciate your input.

__________________________________________________ ________________________ I would check also the Yamaha RXV-1500 and RXV- 2500 more value ,more feature ,more power also.Pat.P

Forum Regular
    I have had a pioneer elite VSX-35TX for about 3 years now. When I first got it..about 4 months in...it started making static noise through all the speakers at random times. So I sent it back...3 times. And the problem kept reoccuring. The final time it went back to Pioneer to have them look at it. Now I've had it for over a year since it has come back from Pioneer and it's been doing fine. I don't know what the problem was, but it's gone now. As far as sound goes...it's great. I've never had to turn it up much to get itto be really loud. I seems to have a ton of headroom and power to spare...for a measily 100 watts per channel (ha ha). I will buy another Pioneer when this one goes the way of the Do-Do. Just make sure you buy it from a good audio place..just in case. I had no problems with returning it and getting service for free. Not sure how Best Buy or someplace like that would handle it.
    Hope this helps you when you decide!

my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpin_on_Sunset
    It's time to swap out the Denon 3802 .
    When my Denon 3300 died early this year, I replaced it with a Pioneer VSX-2012 (cost 1/2 of the Elite counter part). Because the Denon was quite old, the Pioneer has a much better A/D, DD and DTS section. You can check my review on the 2012 on this site.

Forum Regular
    Agree with Sy_lu. The Elites are one heck of a receiver and I am using a 2012K as a prepro and love it. The new 1014K was recently tested and it got a lot of praises for overall performance. The amp section seemed to have kicked ass.
    Wooch, Sir TT, etal are a part of a Northern California Conspiracy!
    Smokey, admit you are using your receiver as a prepro!!

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Reading the reviews, a clear winner;

Quote Originally Posted by PAT.P
    __________________________________________________ ________________________ I would check also the Yamaha RXV-1500 and RXV- 2500 more value ,more feature ,more power also.Pat.P

HT Labs Measures: Yamaha RX-V2400 A/V Receiver

With five channels driving 8-ohm loads, the amplifier reaches 0.1% distortion at 43.5 watts and 1% distortion at 44.1 watts. With seven channels driving 8-ohm loads, the amplifier reaches 0.1% distortion at 32.3 watts and 1% distortion at 36.9 watts.

According to these measurments the RX-V2400 distorts past 1% at only 44.1 watts!

The Pioneer specs;

HT Labs Measures: Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi
    Five channels driven into 8-ohm loads: 0.1% distortion at 87.9 watts; 1% distortion at 97.7 watts

It appears the Pioneer has over TWICE the useable power compared to the Yamaha.
    Further, the reviewer had a hard time with the Yamaha's equalization feature. The Pioneer equalization worked flawlessly first time, and the reviewer commented on how easy the Pioneer was to setup.

pioneer elite

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    HT Labs Measures: Yamaha RX-V2400 A/V Receiver

With five channels driving 8-ohm loads, the amplifier reaches 0.1% distortion at 43.5 watts and 1% distortion at 44.1 watts. With seven channels driving 8-ohm loads, the amplifier reaches 0.1% distortion at 32.3 watts and 1% distortion at 36.9 watts.

According to these measurments the RX-V2400 distorts past 1% at only 44.1 watts!

The Pioneer specs;

HT Labs Measures: Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi
    Five channels driven into 8-ohm loads: 0.1% distortion at 87.9 watts; 1% distortion at 97.7 watts

It appears the Pioneer has over TWICE the useable power compared to the Yamaha.
    Further, the reviewer had a hard time with the Yamaha's equalization feature. The Pioneer equalization worked flawlessly first time, and the reviewer commented on how easy the Pioneer was to setup.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This Pioneer is twice the price of the Yamaha .Would be way out of my league ,but thanks on info Im also interested in a new receiver now I know what to check for .Pat.P

Thread Information