AR Newbie Registered Member

Picture quality with DVI

I recently purchased both a Toshiba 65H83 RPTV and a Samsung HD931 DVD player. Now both units support a DVI/HDMI jack on the back so I assumed that would be the best way to hook them up so I used a Monster DVI cable. The problem is that it doesn't look as good as I expected it to look, I am still seeing some grain in newer movies tha shouldnt be there. I have only done some twiddling with the setup on the TV and dont own a calibration disk. I do have the brightness, contrast, and sharpness set way down from the default... and that did help. I am wondering would I be getting a better picture using the progressive scan component outputs? I wouldn't think so, but thats why I ask... what can I do?

JudaBenHur

Hmm...

From what it looks like, you purchased the Samsung that they sell at BestBuy. It does an upconvert to 720p.

Some people dont like how the upconverted image looks because it adds some noise to the image (the grain you're seeing).

I would say to get some component cables and see if you get a better picture - all you can do is experiment.

~DeNoN_MaN
    System:
    Fronts: B&W 602 S2
    Center: B&W CC6 S2
    Rear: Klipsch SB-2
    Sub: Velodyne CHT-10
    Receiver: Denon AVR-2802
    DVD: Toshiba SD-3800

Projector: Sanyo PLV-70HT

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I got it from crutchfield, not best buy... but I will try and do some experimenting... I have it setup to be outputin a 1080i image (the little light on the front is green, which is supposed to indicate a 1080i output) ... but perhaps your right, it could be that the upconversion is giving me noise. I'll experiment and see.

Forum Regular
    I purchased a 931 to use with my Hitachi 57" RPTV thru the DVI
    input. Since my tv's native resolution is 1081i, like your tv, I set the 931's output to 1081i. I have to tell you that I didn't like the picture at first either. However, I reset the color, brightness, picture, hue and sharpness using Video Essentials and just kept watching movies, and
    after about a month, I found the picture just "blossomed". I don't know if the 931 needs some sort of break in period, or I got used to the picture or a combination of both, but I'm very happy with the 931 now, and I'm using a cheap $20 DVI cable. I would suggest that you make sure your tv is in "movie" mode and buy or borrow a copy of VE to get your tv
    as accurate as you can, without using test equipment the professional calibrators use.

Thread Information