PmR
    Forum Regular

Performance of Faroudja on 480p

I have a fairly simple question. Will Fardoudja equipped chips provide better performance on native progressive scan software such as most movie DVDs?

I watch about 95% movies compared to TV broadcasts on DVD so I figure the DCDi should be silent during most of the movies since their output should be progressive and not interlaced. If this is the case, is there much difference between Faroudja-based players (i.e. Denon 1600/Panasonic RP 82/Panasonic XP30 etc.) and non-Faroudja based players (i.e. Pioneer dv-563a) on film DVDs?

If there is not, I would be inclined to go the way of the cheap universal to get more audio playback options.

Thanks.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by PmR
    I have a fairly simple question. Will Fardoudja equipped chips provide better performance on native progressive scan software such as most movie DVDs?

I watch about 95% movies compared to TV broadcasts on DVD so I figure the DCDi should be silent during most of the movies since their output should be progressive and not interlaced. If this is the case, is there much difference between Faroudja-based players (i.e. Denon 1600/Panasonic RP 82/Panasonic XP30 etc.) and non-Faroudja based players (i.e. Pioneer dv-563a) on film DVDs?

If there is not, I would be inclined to go the way of the cheap universal to get more audio playback options.

Thanks.
    Hi!

I think that you might be mixing up some of the basics of progressive scan technology.

As far as I'm aware, there is no "native progressive scan software on DVDs." DVDs contain the movie in a format that is ready to view on your TV. The onboard deinterlacer in your DVDP converts that signal into a more film -like experience by converting the interlaced signal into a progressive signal. There are no "film DVDs" out there.

In your case, 100% of the movies that you watch in progressive are being deinterlaced by the internal chip. Faroujda may or may not be better than other types of deinterlacers out there. The new Faroudja models are certainly better than the old Genesis chips, but I can't comment on how they compare to some of the newer models.

PmR
    Forum Regular
    Thanks for clarifying that.

Thread Information