Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Resident DVD Reviewer

PCM or Bitstream?

What should a DVD player's output setting be in the setup menu for sending Dolby Digital and DTS signals to a receiver, BITSTREAM or PCM? I believe on my player the settings are on BITSTREAM for both DD and DTS.....at any rate, when I select DD or DTS from a DVD's menu before playback, the receiver automatically switches to that format so something must be working right in my setup...was just making sure the DVD player SHOULD be set to BITSTREAM.

Forum Regular
    Lex; Bitstream... When I download your manual from Panasonics site, if there are any exceptions, I will note them.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by kelsci
    Lex; Bitstream... When I download your manual from Panasonics site, if there are any exceptions, I will note them.
    Thanks so much Kel for your continued assistance....would you be able to explain to me why Bitstream should be selected and what the difference is between PCM and Bitstream signals? Why does a player need to be on Bitstream in order to send signals to a receiver?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexmark3200
    Thanks so much Kel for your continued assistance....would you be able to explain to me why Bitstream should be selected and what the difference is between PCM and Bitstream signals? Why does a player need to be on Bitstream in order to send signals to a receiver?
    Hi Lex; I think Karl(who happens to be a fine person on this forum) advised you and you answered back in another thread that your machine is set properly. I did download your manual. Geez what a pain in the "arse". However the manual was adamant about the bitstream setting which is in fact the factory setting for your machine for both D.D. and DTS. I would not worry what the PCM deal is all about. I need some training on that one myself only relative to these players. I have used PCM relative to Laserdisc players that featured DIGITAL SOUND playback which was a PULSE CODE MODULATION DIGITAL SOUNDTRACK.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Does anyone know why Bitstream is selected when setting up a DVD player's menu to send digital signals to a receiver as opposed to PCM?

Forum Regular
    I had trouble getting DTS to work on my panasonic. The manual is terrible. The factory defaults did not work for DTS. I think it was set for bitstream and I changed it to PCM which still did not work until I played with the audio button. Spent 90 minutes trying to get DTS to work. What a pain.

PCM is two channel, you would set it at that if you didn't have a surround system, it only decodes two channels. Bitstream sends the full audio signal with surround sound to your receiver if you have more than a 2 channel set up.

-Joey

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by This Guy
    PCM is two channel, you would set it at that if you didn't have a surround system, it only decodes two channels. Bitstream sends the full audio signal with surround sound to your receiver if you have more than a 2 channel set up.

-Joey
    Thank you Joey.

Does anyone know why Bitstream is selected when setting up a DVD player's menu to send digital signals to a receiver as opposed to PCM?
    Bitstream means the DVD player will deliver exactly what auido track is playing on the DVD. PCM means that the DVD player will take whatever audio track it is playing and convert it to 2 channel PCM (exaclty like the format for music CDs).

The only reason you would ever select PCM is if you had one of the very first digital capable amps that only had a PCM decoder and no DD or DTS decoder. Obviously, these aren't around much any more.
    Friends help friends move,
    Good friends help friends move bodies....

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Monstrous Mike
    Bitstream means the DVD player will deliver exactly what auido track is playing on the DVD. PCM means that the DVD player will take whatever audio track it is playing and convert it to 2 channel PCM (exaclty like the format for music CDs).

The only reason you would ever select PCM is if you had one of the very first digital capable amps that only had a PCM decoder and no DD or DTS decoder. Obviously, these aren't around much any more.
    So, if I didnt have a surround receiver, would the DVD player be set to PCM if I was just running the sound to the TV set?

simple answer.

If you didn't have a surround receiver you would be using the red/white analog outputs for your audio, not PCM or bitstream.

As far as if and how you would need to set your DVD, RTFM.

But, ultimately, you DO have a surround receiver so it's a moot point.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    If you didn't have a surround receiver you would be using the red/white analog outputs for your audio, not PCM or bitstream.

As far as if and how you would need to set your DVD, RTFM.

But, ultimately, you DO have a surround receiver so it's a moot point.
    No, I know, I was just curious.....thanks.

But right now, I actually do have the red/white analog cords connected from the DVD player to the TV so I can watch DVDs without surround if I want to; sometimes the girlfriend or guests enjoy it this way better if just not in the mood for surround sound, whatever. Does this require a special setting?

Does this require a special setting?
    Since it seems to be working now, what would you think?

cam
    No, I know, I was just curious.....thanks.

But right now, I actually do have the red/white analog cords connected from the DVD player to the TV so I can watch DVDs without surround if I want to; sometimes the girlfriend or guests enjoy it this way better if just not in the mood for surround sound, whatever. Does this require a special setting?
    I hope your girlfriend is as tolerent as the members on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by cam
    Tolerance is a powerful tool but it is difficult to master. Personally, I have military background so I can take quite a bit before I get upset.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    What exactly does that mean

cam
    What exactly does that mean
    Well then I will explain. Thread after thread after thread after thread members on this board have been explaining, let me put it, breaking things down so fine that a very young child would understand. But somehow you just don't understand sometimes. You mentioned you had a girlfriend so I said I hope she is as tolerent as the members on this board. Not an insult, my wife has a very big job of tolerating me. Tolerence makes the world go around big guy.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Well then I will explain. Thread after thread after thread after thread members on this board have been explaining, let me put it, breaking things down so fine that a very young child would understand. But somehow you just don't understand sometimes. You mentioned you had a girlfriend so I said I hope she is as tolerent as the members on this board. Not an insult, my wife has a very big job of tolerating me. Tolerence makes the world go around big guy.
    Well, Cam, understand this.....there are MANY times that most people on here DO NOT break down statements so....oh how do you put it....a "young child would understand"....there are friends of mine who read these posts along with me and still cannot figure out what you guys mean sometimes, I swear it. SOMETIMES the replies are simple; sometimes they are quite confusing. That is a fact, Cam.

cam

PCM or BITSTEAM

Well, Cam, understand this.....there are MANY times that most people on here DO NOT break down statements so....oh how do you put it....a "young child would understand"....there are friends of mine who read these posts along with me and still cannot figure out what you guys mean sometimes, I swear it. SOMETIMES the replies are simple; sometimes they are quite confusing. That is a fact, Cam.
    Come on,I'm sure you and your buddies can read a dvd player manual.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Come on,I'm sure you and your buddies can read a dvd player manual.
    Yeah, but Im talking about the way YOU lads sometimes describe your world-infamous HT assistance....

Oh really? Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Yeah, but Im talking about the way YOU lads sometimes describe your world-infamous HT assistance....
    People here, some quite knowledgable in their respective fields, are offering their help to you free of charge and for you to biitch about the quality of their answers is pretty much the utmost in gall.

Many her have taken the time and effort to provide you with well thought out, well written answers to your questions. But, in every case, you claim you don't understand the answers. You continue to ask more questions that veer off the subject at hand and tend to try to pit one person's answers against anothers. People don't appreciate being played with.

No one is forcing you to ask questions, particularly over and over. Some might consider you a troll the way you seem to ignore what's offered and refuse to do a little thinking on your own.

Again, I'm sure there are other sites that would welcome your incisive questioning if you feel you have something to prove, either to yourself or your little group of friends. As far as I can tell, you are just wasting everyone's time here. Methinks others are starting to feel this way too.
    Last edited by markw; 04-06-2004 at 05:16 AM.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    People here, some quite knowledgable in their respective fields, are offering their help to you free of charge and for you to biitch about the quality of their answers is pretty much the utmost in gall.

Many her have taken the time and effort to provide you with well thought out, well written answers to your questions. But, in every case, you claim you don't understand the answers. You continue to ask more questions that veer off the subject at hand and tend to try to pit one person's answers against anothers. People don't appreciate being played with.

No one is forcing you to ask questions, particularly over and over. Some might consider you a troll the way you seem to ignore what's offered and refuse to do a little thinking on your own.

Again, I'm sure there are other sites that would welcome your incisive questioning if you feel you have something to prove, either to yourself or your little group of friends. As far as I can tell, you are just wasting everyone's time here. Methinks others are starting to feel this way too.
    Well, Mark, I am beginning to feel as if YOU and everyone else offering incomprehensible explanations are beginning to waste MY time, so the feeling is ultimately mutual, buddy. When guys like you offer suggestions and technical explanations that better-than-average HT enthusiasts such as me find extremely difficult to understand, what would you EXPECT me to say??? Some of the explanations are downright IMPOSSIBLE to follow, to be honest....in THIS particular post, I understand PCM would be set for two channel operation, but YOU made it EXTREMELY difficult to understand why if my red and white analog cables are connected to my TV set and a digital cable is connecting my DVD player and receiver I wouldnt have the player set to PCM rather than Bitstream; I still get stereo audio out of my TV speakers, yet all is set to Bitstream.

Well, Mark, I am beginning to feel as if YOU and everyone else offering incomprehensible explanations are beginning to waste MY time, so the feeling is ultimately mutual, buddy. When guys like you offer suggestions and technical explanations that better-than-average HT enthusiasts such as me find extremely difficult to understand, what would you EXPECT me to say??? Some of the explanations are downright IMPOSSIBLE to follow, to be honest....in THIS particular post, I understand PCM would be set for two channel operation, but YOU made it EXTREMELY difficult to understand why if my red and white analog cables are connected to my TV set and a digital cable is connecting my DVD player and receiver I wouldnt have the player set to PCM rather than Bitstream; I still get stereo audio out of my TV speakers, yet all is set to Bitstream.
    If your goal is to acquire help and knowledge, then you are sadly lacking in the correct approach.

If your goal is to irritate, then you have already succeeded.

Boy, you really put the moron in oxymoron.

"When guys like you offer suggestions and technical explanations that better-than-average HT enthusiasts such as me find extremely difficult to understand, what would you EXPECT me to say???"

Well, since you clalm to be a "better-than-average HT enthusiast" and yet cannot keep up with the crowd, I truly wonder what yardstick you use to gauge your self proclaimed abilites here.

Then again, if you're just trolling then that would explain a lot.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Monstrous Mike
    If your goal is to acquire help and knowledge, then you are sadly lacking in the correct approach.

If your goal is to irritate, then you have already succeeded.
    Oh yeah, how is that so, Mike? I have asked questions and have been nothing but attacked, patronized, denied SIMPLE explanations.....WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? How am I irritating? By challenging the ones who INSIST on answering with around-the-bush methods and PURPOSELY confusing someone even more, is that how?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information