Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oppo's New Blu Ray Released Today

True to their word, Oppo has finally released a more affordable universal player with Blu Ray capabilities...all for only $289.

Go here:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-80/
    *Panasonic 60" Plasma HDTV
    *Marantz AV7005
    *Marantz MM7055
    *Oppo Digital BDP-95
    *Silverline Audio Sonatina MK II
    *Silverline Center Stage
    *Silverline Audio SR11
    *SVS SB12

http://www.panasonic.com
    http://www.marantz.com
    http://www.oppodigital.com
    http://www.silverlineaudio.com
    http://www.svsound.com

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Right on!!

Lightbulb unbeknownst to me

[QUOTE=BadAssJazz]True to their word, Oppo has finally released a more affordable universal player with Blu Ray capabilities...all for only $289.:/QUOTE]

Well I am thinking its time for for me to owned my first OPPO" as it might not get any better than That??!! for $289. what are you guys "thoughts" ??
    Chet Baker-Trumpet
    Pepper Adams-Baritone Sax
    Herbie Mann-Flute
    Bill Evans-Piano
    Paul Chambers-Bass & Connie Kay-Drums
    (....ALONE TOGETHER....) DEC. 30 1958
    produced by...Orrin Keepnews...

Welp... mah take...

Oppo had two choices to bring down the cost of the flag ship, cheapen the up-conversion or drop the SACD and DVD-A. Oppo chose the former. To me the finest part of the flagship 83 is it's upconversion prowess. I don't own any SACD or DVD-A disks, I don't know anyone who does outside of this and other forums. To me I think they made absolutely the wrong choice in sacrificing up-converting prowess for niche audio formats that 99 percent of the market has never even heard of.

Worf

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Oppo had two choices to bring down the cost of the flag ship, cheapen the up-conversion or drop the SACD and DVD-A. Oppo chose the former. To me the finest part of the flagship 83 is it's upconversion prowess. I don't own any SACD or DVD-A disks, I don't know anyone who does outside of this and other forums. To me I think they made absolutely the wrong choice in sacrificing up-converting prowess for niche audio formats that 99 percent of the market has never even heard of.

Worf
    I suspect you'll see a 3rd BluRay player from them before too long offering exactly that.

I on the other hand have little care for the upconversion - my DVD's look good enough now, but if the SACD/DVD-A is up to snuff this could be on my buy list real soon...

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I suspect you'll see a 3rd BluRay player from them before too long offering exactly that.

I on the other hand have little care for the upconversion - my DVD's look good enough now, but if the SACD/DVD-A is up to snuff this could be on my buy list real soon...
    Many if not all my friends on various gear forums (don't shoot, I consider you a friend) feel as you do. How many SACD's/DVD-A's do you own? What genre? What lables? Educate me let me buy some and see if the difference exists? I've been spending most of my time re-watching "The World at War" all 26 hours of it. Upconversion means a LOT to me.

Worf

Worf
    I see your point very well, Worfster. I too would rather have the better video and up conversion.

But I do have quite a few SACDs. It that were my priority I'd to go for the BDP-83 anyway because only the '83 has DSD analog output. And if analog, then I'd probably feel compelled to go to the 'SE' version, (not Lexicon's ).

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I see your point very well, Worfster. I too would rather have the better video and up conversion.

But I do have quite a few SACDs. It that were my priority I'd to go for the BDP-83 anyway because only the '83 has DSD analog output. And if analog, then I'd probably feel compelled to go to the 'SE' version, (not Lexicon's ).
    I DID go with the BDP-83. Which is why I love it's up-conversion talents so much. I salute Oppo for filling in the blanks on their product line, particularly since they've ceased regular DVD player production.

Worf

Worf
    Maybe I've oversimplified this, but the BD80 is essentially the 980H, which performed remarkably well (an understatement) with standard DVD's, albeit with the additional Blu Ray capabilities. To hedge against the ability of the BD80 to provide above average video quality on par with the much-lauded 980H simply because it doesn't use the same chip as the 83 is probably a hasty assessment. The 83 is Oppo's flagship model. Sure, the thrill of driving down the coast in a convertible Stingray as opposed to a Ferrari is unquestionably different. But with the Ferrari, you pay for what you get under the hood. Most consumers would be very happy with the Stingray. It's the view they're after.

I think what Oppo should be concerned about, however, is whether or not the BD80 can thoroughly outperform the cheaper Panasonics, Samsungs, and LG's, etc., that you can purchase for half the asking price of the BD80 and get Netflix/Amazon/Pandora streaming to boot. My assumption is that Oppo isn't targeting only the audio/videophiles who covet an 83, but are too shallow of pocket.

That said, I do agree that there was no point in keeping DVD-A/SACD capabilities for the newer unit. But who knows... maybe it was cost effective for them to keep these dying formats in play?
    *Panasonic 60" Plasma HDTV
    *Marantz AV7005
    *Marantz MM7055
    *Oppo Digital BDP-95
    *Silverline Audio Sonatina MK II
    *Silverline Center Stage
    *Silverline Audio SR11
    *SVS SB12

http://www.panasonic.com
    http://www.marantz.com
    http://www.oppodigital.com
    http://www.silverlineaudio.com
    http://www.svsound.com

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssJazz
    Maybe I've oversimplified this, but the BD80 is essentially the 980H, which performed remarkably well (an understatement) with standard DVD's, albeit with the additional Blu Ray capabilities. ...
    I have an 980H and it's a good DVD player but I bought it for an SACD capatible machine. But FPMO, it quit playing a SACDs a few weeks after the warranty expired.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAss
    True to their word, Oppo has finally released a more affordable universal player with Blu Ray capabilities...all for only $289.
    That's close to PS3 price territory...

In terms of component pricing, does the absence of the ABT chip allow for a greater discount. In other words, would the removal of SACD and DVD-A capabilities alone, reduced the price enough?
    It's a disease, really.
    -----------------------------------
    Sony
    CDP-X77ES, CDP-X55ES, TA-N90ES, TA-E90ES, 333ESXII
    Denon
    AVP-A1HDCI, POA-A1HDCI, DVD-5910CI, DVD-2500BTCI
    Oppo
    BDP-83
    Sennheiser
    HD800
    Definitive Technology
    BP2000TL, C/L/R 3000, BPX, BP1X
    Pioneer
    Pro-151FD

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Many if not all my friends on various gear forums (don't shoot, I consider you a friend) feel as you do. How many SACD's/DVD-A's do you own? What genre? What lables? Educate me let me buy some and see if the difference exists? I've been spending most of my time re-watching "The World at War" all 26 hours of it. Upconversion means a LOT to me.

Worf
    Mostly Jazz and classical SACD's, a lot of rock based DVD-A's though. In all honesty, I probably only have 45-50 titles or so between both formats, though I can say every single one is a very favorite album of mine. A lot of the usual suspects in Jazz and Classical, and even Rock. I have no pure blues in either format, though. I buy maybe 1 every month or so lateley, after a year or two of not buying any. I have bought them in bunches it seems when I could find them on sale, 2nd hand, whatever...

For heavyweight classics or some of the staples of the 40-70's Jazz era, they are great...a lot of classic pop/rock albums just aren't available.

I totally get the concept that $300 for playing 4-5 SACD's is a non-starter, but if it was thrown in with some BluRay capability, why not try experimenting?

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frahengeo
    In terms of component pricing, does the absence of the ABT chip allow for a greater discount. In other words, would the removal of SACD and DVD-A capabilities alone, reduced the price enough?
    Worf is right, it is the ABT chip or the SACD and DVD-A playback. I would also say yes on the removal of both DVD-A and SACD would have reduced the cost. With the removal of those two formats, you would save on a DSD decoder chip, and the extra signal paths to handle it. You get rid of all the components that allow the transition of SACD as a PCM or DSD signal.

I agree with Worf on this one. SACD and DVD-A are basically dead formats, and it would have been smarter to get rid of that, than the ABT chip for upconversion. You leave the SACD and DVD-A playback for your flagship player.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

I think oppo made the right choice, especially since I agree with Worf that they will probably come out with a cheaper version. I think Oppo knows its customers. There are a lot of people out there that will buy this unit just for its audio ability. There are so many midfi people out there who already have a good DVD player or who bought the 980/981and are now looking for a better Cd/SACDP and BluRay and this unit fits the bill at an affordable price. Why spend the money for the BD-83 when you already have a good DVDplayer and all you need is a good BluRay.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

nightflier
    It would really be interesting if their next player only offered HDMI out (no other audio or video outputs), and no SACD/DVD-A, making it pretty-much a video-focused player with audio-over HDMI. For kicks they could make it one of those super-slim players, too. The news coverage for this kind of minimalism alone would guaranty quite a few orders, I think. I wonder how much that would save them on production costs?

Wow! Truly impressive work from Oppo if the performance measures up to their past efforts at this price point.

That constant height zoom feature and subtitle offset is a true high end feature that I haven't seen in any Blu-ray player (it's basically for installed front projection systems that use a constant height and will vary the width according the aspect ratio, much the same way that a movie theater does).
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Worf
    I also have a modest collection of maybe 50 SACD and DVD-A titles at the most. But, the SF Symphony's Mahler series is about as prized a group as any in my music collection. Those are stellar performances and recordings, and the 5.1 SACD tracks are an absolute marvel to listen to. Any future upgrades to my system would have to allow for playback of that series. That's why I'm glad that Oppo still offers up the option. I think that Oppo knows their target audience, and most of them have 5.1 audio discs that they would like to continue listening to.

With Oppo's universal players, they get it right. They allow for 5.1 PCM transcoding, which is compatible with HDMI 1.1 receivers, and they stream the 5.1 DSD track for those more advanced receivers that can natively decode the DSD format. I don't know of anything else that has this kind of flexibility. It's too bad that this kind of flexibility wasn't available when DVD-A and SACD discs were still widely available. The format might have done a little bit better if not for the ridiculous analog-only output.

I have a dedicated SACD player, but it has already been repaired under warranty once. At some future juncture, I'd like to upgrade my receiver, and the Oppo would be a great addition.

Also, Worf the upconversion is not all that it's made out to be, since your HDTV already has that capability built in.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Question

I have an 980H and it's a good DVD player but I bought it for an SACD capatible machine. But FPMO, it quit playing a SACDs a few weeks after the warranty expired.
    Feanor" are you aware of anyone else that has this problem with the SACD?? (just curious) (as I might be geting the BD-80) W/O the Warranty... OH another thing the Black Lit Remote cost an extra $9.50 which brings the price back up to $298.50 minus .50 cent" off the list price....

(optional black lit remote) have they done this with the other players?..........I'M almost sure I'll be OK if i get it.... however i just don't want to to be doing the??!! ( ) later
    Chet Baker-Trumpet
    Herbie Mann-Flute
    Bill Evans-Piano

Alright, I want to buy a blu ray player and also use it as a CD player but only want to spend around 250$ preferably less, this Oppo vs. Samsung BD-1600 or Panny's DMP-BD60K ... I have Netflix and being able to stream would be nice but I already have a xbox 360 for that, anyways I can spend 200$ on Samsung or Panny and there appears to be not that much of a difference from the 300$ Oppo ... what am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by winston
    Feanor" are you aware of anyone else that has this problem with the SACD?? ...
    No, I've mentioned around but no one as admit to it. In general the Oppos seem pretty reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by BallinWithNash
    Alright, I want to buy a blu ray player and also use it as a CD player but only want to spend around 250$ preferably less, this Oppo vs. Samsung BD-1600 or Panny's DMP-BD60K ... I have Netflix and being able to stream would be nice but I already have a xbox 360 for that, anyways I can spend 200$ on Samsung or Panny and there appears to be not that much of a difference from the 300$ Oppo ... what am I missing?
    The Panny or Samsung can not do SACD or DVD-A.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

No, I've mentioned around but no one as admit to it. In general the Oppos seem pretty reliable.
    Thank You Sir.

About the Remote!! (Are they scrimp-ing on me ? )
    Chet Baker-Trumpet
    Herbie Mann-Flute
    Bill Evans-Piano

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    I think oppo made the right choice, especially since I agree with Worf that they will probably come out with a cheaper version. I think Oppo knows its customers. There are a lot of people out there that will buy this unit just for its audio ability. There are so many midfi people out there who already have a good DVD player or who bought the 980/981and are now looking for a better Cd/SACDP and BluRay and this unit fits the bill at an affordable price. Why spend the money for the BD-83 when you already have a good DVDplayer and all you need is a good BluRay.
    If this player uses the same analog stages as the BD-83, then the better CD or SACD playback comes into question, at least through the analog outs.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Welp....

Quote Originally Posted by winston
    Thank You Sir.

About the Remote!! (Are they scrimp-ing on me ? )
    I've the non-backlit remote on the old up-converter upstairs and the backlit remote on the 83 downstairs. I much prefer the back-lit remote, it's bigger, better and easier to see in my ole age. Don't be so cheap... spring fer it

Worf

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information