Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I have been very happy with the performance of my Oppo BDP 83. It may be in my head but for now I'm convinced that the upscaling is far superior to that of my 981. I do have a nagging feeling that I paid way the heck too much for this thing especially since I have no interest or desire to get into DVD-A or SACD. My Jolida 100A CDP sounds a lot better to me than the Oppo so it's basically a BDP and nothing else for me. Maybe if it had a phono stage...j/k

I think Worf is right, they saved money in the wrong place. I have to believe that anyone who wanted an SACD player, already had an SACD player and it was probably superior to the Oppo's performance in that regard. Oh well, it's just money, right?

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    The Panny or Samsung can not do SACD or DVD-A.
    So for a 100$ more that is the only thing I get more? plus I don't get networking capabilities with the Oppo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    I have been very happy with the performance of my Oppo BDP 83. It may be in my head but for now I'm convinced that the upscaling is far superior to that of my 981. I do have a nagging feeling that I paid way the heck too much for this thing especially since I have no interest or desire to get into DVD-A or SACD. My Jolida 100A CDP sounds a lot better to me than the Oppo so it's basically a BDP and nothing else for me. Maybe if it had a phono stage...j/k

I think Worf is right, they saved money in the wrong place. I have to believe that anyone who wanted an SACD player, already had an SACD player and it was probably superior to the Oppo's performance in that regard. Oh well, it's just money, right?

jc
    I don't think that the $500 price tag of the Oppo is hindering its sales. In fact it may be helping with sales to other audio manufacturers who are rebaging it or modifying it and reselling it. Plus, SACD players are still being sold (the $1,000 Marantz SA-8003 SACDP is selling very well), its kind of narrow minded to think that all the people that are interested in SACD already own one. Most people that buy Oppo's are into some type of audio vs people who buy Blu-Ray players from stores like Best Buy. I do believe that the new lower priced version will cut into the BD-83 sales though.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BallinWithNash
    Alright, I want to buy a blu ray player and also use it as a CD player but only want to spend around 250$ preferably less, this Oppo vs. Samsung BD-1600 or Panny's DMP-BD60K ... I have Netflix and being able to stream would be nice but I already have a xbox 360 for that, anyways I can spend 200$ on Samsung or Panny and there appears to be not that much of a difference from the 300$ Oppo ... what am I missing?
    Buydig.com and Beach Camera have the Panny for $129
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    I've the non-backlit remote on the old up-converter upstairs and the backlit remote on the 83 downstairs. I much prefer the back-lit remote, it's bigger, better and easier to see in my ole age. Don't be so cheap... spring fer it

Worf
    Worf" I'm cracking up reading your response!! so ill just "throw" the cornut back at ya and go get into my first OPPO" purchase.
    LOL" man
    Chet Baker-Trumpet
    Pepper Adams-Baritone Sax
    Herbie Mann-Flute
    Bill Evans-Piano
    Paul Chambers-Bass & Connie Kay-Drums
    (....ALONE TOGETHER....) DEC. 30 1958
    produced by...Orrin Keepnews...

Lol.....

Quote Originally Posted by winston
    Worf" I'm cracking up reading your response!! so ill just "throw" the cornut back at ya and go get into my first OPPO" purchase.
    LOL" man
    Hey man, chill, the teaches watchin' LOL. Hope you love your Oppo as much as I love mine. And I LOVE your signature, shows class it does.

Worf

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    its kind of narrow minded to think that all the people that are interested in SACD already own one. Most people that buy Oppo's are into some type of audio vs people who buy Blu-Ray players from stores like Best Buy. I do believe that the new lower priced version will cut into the BD-83 sales though.
    Yep, that's me, narrow minded : )

I guess it's possible that DVD-A and SACD are gaining in popularity with new adopters climbing on board every day. I just haven't seen it. I haven't even seen it in this thread which I suspect accounts for Worf's O/P. I don't think that any of the 50 or so albums that I purchased in 2009 were even available in either format. Many of them where available on vinyl however. (insert double smiley here!) The market could very well be clamoring for a good quality Universal Player I just really haven't seen it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist of course.

With regard to Worf's main post I don't think we should lose sight of what "made" Oppo in the first place, a very affordable DVDP that had outstanding video rendering. Top benchmark scores in a value priced machine is tough to beat. They further enamored themselves to the higher end buying segment by offering timely firmware updates that tweaked an already incredible machine. IMO, the Oppo 980 was one of the best HT values ever and as such it was nothing short of a phenomenon. That leaves me wondering why they didn't take the same approach here. The only answer that makes sense is money.

Regards,
    jc
    Last edited by Jim Clark; 01-28-2010 at 08:14 AM.
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    I actually agree with Worf and Jim. DVD-A and SACD are either dead, or using its last two breaths. I also believe the BR spec's renders both of these formats pretty useless for music applications. BR is a higher resolution format than both of these formats, and does not require a special hookup(a single HDMI cable will do the job). A continuing focus on these two formats is IMO a waste of precious component space and circuitry. With companies like 2L and Surround Recordings coming out with great classical music on the BR format it won't be long before the big record companies start eyeing(if they have not already) BR disc as a music format. I know Sony/BMG is definitely looking at it, and so are a few small European labels.

It just doesn't make any sense to me to sacrifice anything in favor of two nearly dead formats. It is backwards thinking IMO
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Jim, I did not mean to say that you are narrow minded just that view was. I didn't mean to insult you.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Well....

This has been a VERY informative thread. My head's kinda spinning because personally, I expected to be bull-rushed by DVD-A and SACD lovers attacking me for being behind the times. Once I bought my BDP-83 I tried to find DVD-A or SACD versions of albums I love enough to buy in a new format for the 3rd or 4th time like Santana's "Abraxas", Miles' "Kind of Blue" etc... didn't work, couldn't find em. So I have capabilities on my Oppo that I'll likely never get to use, so to me at least, it would make more sense not to have to pay for something I'll never need. Oppo felt differently.

I'm sure they'll come out with a better up-converter without the Audio formats but I couldn't wait for that. I'm glad I bought the BDP-83. Blu-Ray play back is top-notch and it up-conversion to me is well worth the list price. With me they've a customer for life, or until they're bought out and mangled.

Worf

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Jim, I did not mean to say that you are narrow minded just that view was. I didn't mean to insult you.
    I knew that, hence the smiley : ) It was funny.

Plus I can be a bit opinionated.

We're definitely good so no worries at all.

jc

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    ... or until they're bought out and mangled.

**Crosses Self**

Lord, please spare us (and Oppo) from this accursed Fate!!!!

"So sayeth the shepherd! So sayeth the flock!"
    *Panasonic 60" Plasma HDTV
    *Marantz AV7005
    *Marantz MM7055
    *Oppo Digital BDP-95
    *Silverline Audio Sonatina MK II
    *Silverline Center Stage
    *Silverline Audio SR11
    *SVS SB12

http://www.panasonic.com
    http://www.marantz.com
    http://www.oppodigital.com
    http://www.silverlineaudio.com
    http://www.svsound.com

I looked at the new bdp-80 but decided to pull the trigger on the 83. It just gets my vote due to the fact that the video quality is better and I have heard so many good things about using this player as a audio media transport so I decided the extra money was worth it and since I just bought a 46" samsung LED television I figured I would feed it with the best for the money plus once I find the DAC I want this will make a good transport as well.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Ahem....

Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07
    I looked at the new bdp-80 but decided to pull the trigger on the 83. It just gets my vote due to the fact that the video quality is better and I have heard so many good things about using this player as a audio media transport so I decided the extra money was worth it and since I just bought a 46" samsung LED television I figured I would feed it with the best for the money plus once I find the DAC I want this will make a good transport as well.
    I for one, will be waiting to hear/see a review of all the new goodies you've just purchased. You're gonna give me what I want right? Hmmm? Hehhhh? Hmmmm?

Worf

Sure will. I am waiting on the Oppo to get here. It should be here tomorrow so I can't speak on it yet but the Samsung LED tv is awesome. I have had my eye on the LED Samsung for quite some time and finally just went for it. the price was lower than it has been so I figured it was time. I will let you know how the oppo looks on my Samsung when I get it in and get it hooked up.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

My report back is great. I got the Oppo BDP-83 in Saturday and unpacking it revealed why they are superior products to others in their price class, just the way they box up the unit and cables and looking at the manual tells me that they care a little more for their product than other companies do. Then I hooked it up and the setup took a little while but it was easy as hell and after that I put my first blue ray disc in and wow, the picture is awesome and the analog outputs and processing is top notch and was a good thing since I am running them into my 6 channel input on my HTR that does not have processing for the new codecs. The unit works great with the Samsung LED tv and I believe it will make a great music transport as well and when I order my outboard DAC at some time I believe it will be a killer package.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information